I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Link between obesity and PCa

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 19:58
Research in France has discovered a link between obesity and PCa....

Hopefully the link will work

http://prostatecanceruk.org/about-us/news-and-views/2016/1/fatal-attraction-new-research-reveals-link-between-obesity-and-cancer-progression

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 21:34
Bri

obesity has been linked to almost every type of cancer I have heard of, so have smoking and drinking.

Trouble is if you are already obese, a smoker or a drinker it is probably too late to reverse the damage done.

I hope this information is used to warn younger generations who can do something proactively if they choose to.

An interesting read though and well worth distributing

xx

Mo

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 22:46

I think this article goes further than that. The research has identified how the protein from the fat cells can make the tumour aggressive in men with localised PCa.. Therefore surely it is reinforcing the message about healthy diets and exercise not just for young men but everyone particularly those with a localised dx.

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jan 2016 at 22:50

The research seems to suggest a potential link between obesity and prostate cancer developing, but, more importantly in my view mention that if you wait for symptoms to develop it may be too late for some treatment options, and too late to treat the Cancer.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 Jan 2016 at 08:21

S**t, I'm Bu*****d then. Maybe try a bacon sandwich but leave out the bacon, butter and probably the bread!

User
Posted 15 Jan 2016 at 11:22

Hi Guys,

At my prime I was officially 5' 11 3/4, now I have probablly shrunk a little, lets say I am 5'11 ish.

Most of my adult life I weighed in at 16 stone, putting me just on the obese side of the boundary between 'overweight' and 'obese' on the NHS website.

Shortly after being diagnosed with PCa they also decided that I had type 2 dibetes.  So last year, with cancer treatment out of the way, I decided to focus on my weight.

By cutting out carbohydrates, I managed to lose 2 stone and got down to 14 stone.

That meant all sorts of trips to the doctors when my blood pressure and blood sugars got too low, cut a long story short I am now on one blood pressure tablet per day, where in the past I was on 3.  And I am officially no longer sufferring from dibetes, that is another 4 tablets per day I no longer have to take.

All of this was achieved while I was on HT.

So it is easy to lose a couple of stone if you put your mind to it.

Lots of salads, meat and fish.

Instead of a bacon sandwich, just have the bacon with a tin of beans, it tastes as good.

One of my treats is bacon, eggs and black pudding, so you can still have the 'fat boys breakfast' just as long as you leave out the fried bread and toast.

:)

Dave   

User
Posted 15 Jan 2016 at 13:20
In fairness, Bri has specifically said in localised PCa, so a possible alternate self help option, as an addition to medical treatments by adopting a weight loss programme IF you are obese at initial diagnosis.

For anyone with advanced PCa I doubt any of this is going to make a huge difference. Its a bit like telling a lifelong smoker with terminal cancer to pack up smoking ....some will in the hope it might extend their life by even a little bit, others will just decide that giving up something that gives them pleasure, and as an addiction, something that might be really hard to do, just to delay the inevitable is a trade they are not preared to make.

Mick was never obese in his life, underweight and under tall until he was 18 ,then he shot up to 6'2" but never went above 95kgs (about 15 1/2 st) he walked0 10-15 miles daily and had no heart issues or BP or cholesterol issues at all. He never smoked but he drank above moderation level. I don't think obesity was his enemy within, He was a mody diabetic (his body made insulin but didn't know what to do with it, a fairly rare and often misdiagnosed form of diabetes) this was only discovered during his year long battle with advanced metastatic PCa He had been incorrectly treated as a T2 diabetic for 20 years prior to this. It was the exercise he had done religously that controlled his blood sugar levels not the diabetes drugs he had taken for so long. His blood sugar levels gradually became uncontrollable becuase he could no longer use exercise to naturally maintain a normal level.

I still wonder if his inability to process sugar was his real enemy within and why no treatments worked for him. If research one day proves this then it would at least help me to rationalise.

good luck to all of you that are trying to make lifestyle changes for whatever reason.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:30

If you can up the exercise and cut down on the carbs and thereby reduce weight to a more healthy level, that is good anyway but some people struggle to do one or both things maybe because of immobility, their metabolism or for other reasons. For some, even a gastric band is not the answer. Serious question, would liposuction help bearing in mind the several risks of obesity now apparently also including PCa spread?

Barry