Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Low white count and exhaustion

User
Posted 20 Jan 2016 at 19:50

Hi

Does anybody else have experience of this?

Mu Husband had his latest Chemo session on the 6th of January.  Over the last 10 days he has become progressively more

exhausted to the stage where he is puffing like mad after climbing stairs. He hardly has the energy to walk more than a few

steps.  The Doc said this would be the case with a low white count.  However I am a little worried. He has been left with the

advice to call in if he is worried but nothing more than that. 

His next session is the 27th.  My understanding is that they can give him an injection which should help the white count from falling too

low?  or is it likely that they will delay chemotherapy if he is not well enough?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I am at the Doctors anyway tomorrow so will see what they say.

Thanks

Carol

User
Posted 20 Jan 2016 at 22:27

Hi Carol,
just bumping you up the list to where other regulars will see your post more easily :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 00:27
Hi again Carol

don't despair that replies have been slow, you have started a new thread when you might have been better off just posting back on your last one. I think you titled it extreme exhaustion and the future. If you start a new one up it has to go through the moderator again, once they clear it to go public it looks at the time you posted and drops it into that timeline on the up and running pages. That menas that a post just doesn't get seen by some members who either log in frequently or those that just stay logged in all the time.. Lyn has spotted this and "bumped" you back to the top so that others will see and respond.

I replied to your original post based on the information you gave based on the experience that my husband had during his chemo. a low Hb being the most common cause of your Husband's symptoms A low white blood cell count has similar effects, hopefully your GP will advise you on the best course of action later today.

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 03:21

Hi
Only just seen this reading the post thought at 1st hubby had finished chemo
How many session has he left
just finished all mine 6 in total
The last week i have been very fatigued and out of breath, walking room to room or upstairs had to stop to get my breath back

But am now finding it easier it has taken just over a week
As they may have told you expect a bad week
It just may be hubby has done really well on the other weeks

If his blood count gets to low i would assume they will give a blood transfusion
As this is what was told
Are u being given all his blood results when chemo is given
I would ask if he is not improving re a blood test to check count

If chemo on 27th do u see onco in the days prior and i assume he has a blood test prior to this visit mine was minimum 3 days
So this would be done either friday or monday
i would suggest getting it done today (thursday)as they are done quickly

Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 21 Jan 2016 at 17:30

Hi Carol,

After my third Chemo i was given an injection to take home for my wife to stab me with the next day, this boosted my white blood count, and my wife enjoyed it.

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 22 Jan 2016 at 10:17

Hi

Thank you all for your replies.  This site is fantastic for support and info.

He had his 4th Chemo on the 6th of Jan and is due two more.

When we saw the Doctor last week they thought he may be anaemic.  Not so.

But he did have a low white count which can make you exhausted.  He got

worse over the last week to the extent where he went to bed on Wednesday night

after a fight to get upstairs to the loo. 

I called the Doctor yesterday and he was admitted to hospital.  They are waiting

for test results. So far he has a normal white count and a clear chest. Due for a

CT scan today and they have him on antibiotics and oxygen.  His sats are not great

so they suspect small blood clots on the lungs which would have been caused  by

the blood becoming sticky from Chemotherapy. So they have given him Heparin.

The other possibility is an infection which does not manifest as a normal infection would.

He is in the right place and they will sort him out. 

Thanks

Carol

User
Posted 22 Jan 2016 at 10:53
Hi Carol

I am sorry to hear that your Husband had to be admitted, but as you say he is now in the right place to get the medical attention he needs.

I know this site is such a source of comfort and support it certainly was for me and to some extent continues to be. Your situation also proves something we all say from time to time, we can give amateur thoughts based on our own experiences but as far as I know none of us are qualified medical experts. I think most of us would always try and give support and the assurances you may need to steer you towards your GP or medical team when something like this happens.

I hope now the medical team will resolve the issue and take steps to prevent any recurrence.

My very best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 23:16

Hi

Well it turned out that he had several large blood clots on his lungs as well as an infection with few symtoms.  The symptoms were masked by the fact that he had a low white count when we first went to the Doctor and that he had just had Chemotherapy.  Spent 6 days in hospital on oxygen and blood thinners.  Is now out and on blood thinners.  This can be a side effect from the fact that he has metatastic cancer which is within the groin area, also could be a side effect of the hormone therapy or the Chemotherapy.  So we won't know which.  Chemo last week was cancelled and he is getting better slowly. 

We are seeing the oncologist on Wednesday and will see where we go from there. 

Thanks for all of your help

Carol