I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

zoladex still cant sleep

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 18:58

hi,dont post a lot but do read a lot,i have been on zoladex 2yrs next month,and i am still finding it hard to sleep,my eyes are red and starting to ache,i am also still getting up 4/5 times a night for toilet,i am better with hot flushes when its cold, i stop drinking 6-630,anyone have similiar problems,i am not due to see onco till june.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 19:40

Hi Radar, as you know this site is good for giving and getting advice as and when you need it so asking when you need to know is ok no matter how infrequent it is.

I have been on Zoladex for a year now and do not have any more trouble being on it than before I started.

For the last three years I have had to get up at least four/five times with frequent occasions eight or nine times just to go to the loo and wee. I have got used to it and do not suffer with ted eyes etc only bags under them.. The flushes come day and night and I adjust my clothing accordingly for the short time it occurs. I am lucky in that I can go to sleep on a washing line (my wife says) and go straight back to sleep during the night and it feels "normal" to me.

Like you I stop drinking about 6/7pm and am sure this helps a bit except when I get up to pee it is a little rather than a lot..

Have you spoken with your GP or your urology nurse? Maybe they can help with something. Have you tried calling the nurses on this site to get some advice.

There may be someone else on here that can offer something else to help.

I hope you get some help, best wishes Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 20:44
Hi Radar, I have been on zoladex for 15 months now. I get flushes but only a couple a day and the same at night as for sleep really struggle. It's not the toilet calling either as it can be none of five times a night. I go to bed at 10, fall asleep easily then wake up at 1 and if I am lucky doze a few times but usually don't. I get up at 5-30 and go to work. I became so tired I saw my doctor who prescribed sleeping pills but no more than 3 a week as they are addictive. To be honest I only take them once a week max as I wait until I have had 5 nights of poor sleep and at the end of my tether.

Seems that this is my lot now , with all the other stuff going on I have accepted it now.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 00:38

Hi Michael,

I like the joke that there are three good things about growing old, we can endlessly watch repeats of Inspector Morse and still don't know how they end, we can fall asleep sitting upright in a chair, and I have forgotten what the third good thing is!

So before we consider cancer we must accept that forgetfulness, weariness and insomnia are all common symptoms of growing old.

Add to them the general worrying that comes with a cancer diagnosis, lethargy identified as a regular side effect of Radiation therapy, oh and yes Hormone Therapy which also has tiredness as a common side effect.

So it would be really strange if you were getting a good night's sleep.

I have found that it helps to get some exercise and do something creative during the day, but the downside of that is that I can then nod off very easily in the evening.

I find it fatal to sit watching TV with the wife for more than twenty minutes at a time, or I fall asleep on the sofa, so I find myself getting up to make a cup of tea, check my emails, unload the dishwasher etc anything to keep on the move.

One remedy is to sit up reading this website and posting stupid comments like this one at half past midnight!

Visiting the Library and getting excitingly intelectual books that are actually very boring to read also helps me to nod off.

If all else has failed a good shot of whisky at 1 or 2 in the morning will help, I am about to polish off the cheap cooking brandy my good lady bought to lace the Christmas cake!

Sweet Dreams.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 01:01

Hi all
Must say i am in the same club
On zoladex and tamsulosin
Tend to find my visits are every 2hrs doesnt matter what time i go to bed or when i stop having any fluids
Even if i have a nod in afternoon or stay awake till bedtime
Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 03:03

Getting up frequently in the night for loo visits even though your bladder isn't full is often either a) urine retention/failing to void properly or b) habit.

If you have no symptoms of retention, then consider asking your GP for a referral for bladder retraining. Stopping drinking early in the evening isn't usually advised as it can make the problem worse.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 06:36
What is sleep ? I drift through the night , covers on , covers off , night sweats , visits to the loo etc.

I would really like a decent night's sleep. Quite usual to be awake about 04.30 and wanting to get up but knowing that I should aim for another hour at least.

It could be that we are all getting older but I think it's the medication (Zoladex for me). However crass it seems knowing that others are in a similar position really helps

And during the day the endless flushes can be really debilitating.

I'm having acupuncture which has helped - in fact have a session today.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 13:09

thanks for all your comments,im interested to what lyn says about retention,when i get up in the night i pee okay a bit slow sometimes depends how much i have been drinking ,i have a better flow when i have been out for a couple of pints.regarding sleep when i was doing rt i told the radiotherapist nurse and she said to stop drinking earlier as you need your sleep,

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 00:20

Hi Guys,

What I do like about this string is that it shows the times you all post your messages.

I must say I find it reassuring to know that I am not the only one on the night shift, as John says 'What is sleep?'.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 17:47

My OH also has major trouble with not sleeping. He's awake at regular 1-2 hourly intervals and ends up reading for hours or logs onto the tablet, and regularly falls asleep watching tv. This has happened whatever treatment he has been on. It's awful as all he wants is a decent sleep!

Glen