I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in poo

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 20:13
Hi, I have been trying to avoid this subject for a month but have got to the stage where I would welcome others experiences. Sorry this is a bit gross so if you are offended look away now!

About a month ago I noticed small amounts of fresh blood in one or more of my daily motions. Usually only when I wiped however over the last month this has changed to sometimes darker blood, sometimes streaked in the waste and on two occasions a mucussy kidney bean shaped pellet amongst the stuff.

I saw my GP last week as the NHS website says wait a month before going along and he has referred me to a consultant who will no doubt borrow one of Nikon Steves finest and have a look ( poetic licence Steve, thanks!).

I know all In Good time I will discover my fate and I have read about radiotherapy causing rectal bleeding however I have never seen anyone mention it on this site so would be interested to know if it is rare or relatively common from the straw pole being the forum.

This of course is just another dark thought to be added to the already too large box of dark thoughts that I unwillingly get out a few times a day. Bizarrely at this time I am more worried about it stopping me running my big race in 3 months than long term effects as I have already given up on the long term.

Thanks

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 22:22

Well it often seems to be said that some treatments have an impact on the bowels and possibly that it what is causing it, but is it also possible that what you re suffering from is piles? Let's hope so anyway
Main reason for replying is to bump you up the postings list so that somebody else will see your request for help

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 23:17

Sorry to read about this Kevin,

Not sure I could have waited a month before going to the GP, you are made of sterner stuff than I am chap. Have you Googled all the possibilities, especially the less sinister ones?

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, lets have a beer soon, eh? Actually let's have several. IT IS all about the alcohol! ;-)

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 23:51

Hi Kev,

I'm sorry you're having these problems, hopefully only a side effect from the RT.

Two weeks after I finished RT, I suddenly was hit really badly by rectal bleeding.  Totally out of the blue, I had a loss of blood when I tried to empty my bowels (early evening), another large loss of blood when I visited the loo at midnight and finally early morning, a massive loss of blood (turned the toilet bowl red). 

An ambulance was called as this was at the same time as having my heart attack.  When I arrived at hospital, there was confusion as to what was going on with me.  I had very low blood pressure and heart rate which they thought was due to having lost a lot of blood.  Within 24 hrs, the bleeding problem cleared up, helped I think, by signing up to take part in a trial for an experimental drug, which was given to me straight away, while I was in Resus.

I didn't have any more bleeding problems until 5 or 6 weeks later and then not as bad as it had been.  A sigmoidoscopy discovered that my bowel had suffered damage during RT but it recovered in time.

I know RT side effects can show up, even a couple of years after treatment, so try not to worry.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that none of this effects the training for the big race.

Good Luck.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 04:21

Hi
Cant help with any suggestions
But intresting to read about RT side effects

As each time i have seen Onco mentioned pain in lower back at mo painkillers keeping it at bay but Onco said if and when it gets worse then RT may be the way to go

Fongers x for u kev that it is pnly piles

Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 09:05

Kevin,

I have similar problems to you too - in fact very similar. I spoke to my GP re this who said that in her experience this is quite normal.
As long as you have movements and it does not continue for too long then it should be fine. However if it does not stop then seek further advice.

We've are all aware that there can be latent side effects from RT , sometimes nor showing for a year or so. I finished RT a year ago and today see my Onco for a six monthly review. I'm going to mention this today and if there's anything to report then I'll post it here.

Wishing you all the best .

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 10:57

RT can make a vein more fragile and more susceptible to bleeding and piles can bleed. Best not to speculate but having the problem investigated is the sensible thing to do.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 16:40
Kevin,

I was the first appointment this afternoon for 14.00 and went in at 14.45. Consultant delayed on M25.

I mentioned the poo and blood. Was asked several questions especially about the quantity of blood. A teaspoon full ? A tablespoon full ?

Half a cup ????????

What size the kidney bean ? How dark ? Fresh or dried blood ? How long has this been going on.????

Result - a haemogloblin blood test. Thank you for that! It really hurt- far worse than my Zoladex ...

But I am grateful for your post today . It prompted me to say something . The timing was good . One problem - I forgot to tell the wife about this.

She knew I had had problems before but I didn't want to worry her over this one, as it was quite recent. She's had enough to deal with.

Onco not too concerned . Thinks a side effect from RT . But blood test for reassurance. Will be contacted if there is a problem.

I hope that this helps you ( and any others ).

Told today I have to stay on HT for far longer than I want to. Wife pleased - anything to keep me alive.

Night sweats ........

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 18:47
Leila,

I was expecting a rebuke immediately after I sent the post !

I was trying to find the right words but obviously did not succeed.

My wife is very aware of my bowel situation but what I had not told her was that I would be mentioning it today.

It was only after I read Kevin's post that I thought I would mention it as I was seeing the Onco that very day - ie today.

When I saw my doctor last week we discussed my situation and she told me that if didn't improve to go back to her.

My wife knew all that.

I hadn't linked the 2 together regarding RT side effects. That's what I did not mention.

So I took the opportunity to ask there and then.

For us when we're about to go out for a consultation the atmosphere can become tense before hand.

You hope for good news but prepare for the worst. I felt fine at home until about 2 hours before we left. Then I felt all nervous and uptight.

And my wife was too.

Since diagnosis ,as I've mentioned elsewhere , I have lost all my inhibitions and freely discuss matters with my wife. And she with me.

Today I wasn't quite up to the mark.

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 19:29

I can relate to most of what you say John. We manage most of the time, but we can be tense and short with each other as well. Its hard for us all, this site has helped me a great deal. We try and talk about how we feel, and support each others ' down' times. Last night i could not sleep, was on a real old downer, came home today, tired, but much more balanced. I am fairly strong and able to manage. Hard times, glad i have the best OH he's a proper star ;-) Cos I am the type who needs to know, and find out research has been good for me, it has given me purpose and direction to deal with my feelings, especially when I feel useless.
Thankfully we can also talk about most subjects, and laugh too.

Leila

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 21:38

What is prostitus Kev ?? Doesn't compute!!

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 03:47

Pleased to read you have got another problem sorted must have been a bit of a bummer

Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 06:17

That sounds manageable Kev, good news!

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 07:34

Good luck Kev today with the test. Fingers crossed. Bleeding from any orrifice is no fun and just adds to worry. Glad it's ok for you now
Chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 07:43
Kev,

Really pleased for you that you have had a positive diagnosis and I hope that the treatment is effective.

I await my blood test results now after yesterday but was told at my appointment that my PSA level is stable at 0.2.

John

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 12:04

Good luck for today's results Kevin and so pleased that the "bummer" has been sorted out !

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 21:43
Phew Kev

I hope results are also good news.

I loved your e mail udate on the MDS ...and just to think I am sweating about my training for a 5k Colour dash with Ness and the girls in May!

You are such an inspiration to others.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 22:12

If the search function was working properly you would find loads of posts on here about radiation proctitis, Kev - but most of the guys who suffered most (or at least posted regularly on the subject) are no longer around.

I didn't suggest proctitis to you as the cause as I had forgotten you had RT - sorry!

Edited by member 29 Jan 2016 at 22:14  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 00:44

Some of the men I am thinking of had been treated 10, 15 years ago when RT was more of a scattergun approach, I guess!

Judging from what I have read, I had the impression that most men get proctitis at some point after RT. I thought the only question mark was whether it happens soon and doesn't last or many years later and then stays.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2016 at 05:44

hi
sometimes when I see my GP after a visit with onco who has already done a blood test which may have been 1 to 2 week prior, my GP will send me for a further blood test he does explain way mainly to check my immune system, last few blood pressure checks have been higher than normal but the opinion is its the chemo so will wait and see as tis has finished

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 22:22

Well it often seems to be said that some treatments have an impact on the bowels and possibly that it what is causing it, but is it also possible that what you re suffering from is piles? Let's hope so anyway
Main reason for replying is to bump you up the postings list so that somebody else will see your request for help

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 23:17

Sorry to read about this Kevin,

Not sure I could have waited a month before going to the GP, you are made of sterner stuff than I am chap. Have you Googled all the possibilities, especially the less sinister ones?

Will keep my fingers crossed for you, lets have a beer soon, eh? Actually let's have several. IT IS all about the alcohol! ;-)

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 23:51

Hi Kev,

I'm sorry you're having these problems, hopefully only a side effect from the RT.

Two weeks after I finished RT, I suddenly was hit really badly by rectal bleeding.  Totally out of the blue, I had a loss of blood when I tried to empty my bowels (early evening), another large loss of blood when I visited the loo at midnight and finally early morning, a massive loss of blood (turned the toilet bowl red). 

An ambulance was called as this was at the same time as having my heart attack.  When I arrived at hospital, there was confusion as to what was going on with me.  I had very low blood pressure and heart rate which they thought was due to having lost a lot of blood.  Within 24 hrs, the bleeding problem cleared up, helped I think, by signing up to take part in a trial for an experimental drug, which was given to me straight away, while I was in Resus.

I didn't have any more bleeding problems until 5 or 6 weeks later and then not as bad as it had been.  A sigmoidoscopy discovered that my bowel had suffered damage during RT but it recovered in time.

I know RT side effects can show up, even a couple of years after treatment, so try not to worry.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that none of this effects the training for the big race.

Good Luck.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 04:21

Hi
Cant help with any suggestions
But intresting to read about RT side effects

As each time i have seen Onco mentioned pain in lower back at mo painkillers keeping it at bay but Onco said if and when it gets worse then RT may be the way to go

Fongers x for u kev that it is pnly piles

Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 09:05

Kevin,

I have similar problems to you too - in fact very similar. I spoke to my GP re this who said that in her experience this is quite normal.
As long as you have movements and it does not continue for too long then it should be fine. However if it does not stop then seek further advice.

We've are all aware that there can be latent side effects from RT , sometimes nor showing for a year or so. I finished RT a year ago and today see my Onco for a six monthly review. I'm going to mention this today and if there's anything to report then I'll post it here.

Wishing you all the best .

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 10:57

RT can make a vein more fragile and more susceptible to bleeding and piles can bleed. Best not to speculate but having the problem investigated is the sensible thing to do.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 16:40
Kevin,

I was the first appointment this afternoon for 14.00 and went in at 14.45. Consultant delayed on M25.

I mentioned the poo and blood. Was asked several questions especially about the quantity of blood. A teaspoon full ? A tablespoon full ?

Half a cup ????????

What size the kidney bean ? How dark ? Fresh or dried blood ? How long has this been going on.????

Result - a haemogloblin blood test. Thank you for that! It really hurt- far worse than my Zoladex ...

But I am grateful for your post today . It prompted me to say something . The timing was good . One problem - I forgot to tell the wife about this.

She knew I had had problems before but I didn't want to worry her over this one, as it was quite recent. She's had enough to deal with.

Onco not too concerned . Thinks a side effect from RT . But blood test for reassurance. Will be contacted if there is a problem.

I hope that this helps you ( and any others ).

Told today I have to stay on HT for far longer than I want to. Wife pleased - anything to keep me alive.

Night sweats ........

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 17:34

As a wife, i would rather know.... hard as it can be to hear symptoms, for me it is better to be informed and aware. Its easier for me to be supportive if I am kept in the loop. Just my opinion..
Leila

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 18:47
Leila,

I was expecting a rebuke immediately after I sent the post !

I was trying to find the right words but obviously did not succeed.

My wife is very aware of my bowel situation but what I had not told her was that I would be mentioning it today.

It was only after I read Kevin's post that I thought I would mention it as I was seeing the Onco that very day - ie today.

When I saw my doctor last week we discussed my situation and she told me that if didn't improve to go back to her.

My wife knew all that.

I hadn't linked the 2 together regarding RT side effects. That's what I did not mention.

So I took the opportunity to ask there and then.

For us when we're about to go out for a consultation the atmosphere can become tense before hand.

You hope for good news but prepare for the worst. I felt fine at home until about 2 hours before we left. Then I felt all nervous and uptight.

And my wife was too.

Since diagnosis ,as I've mentioned elsewhere , I have lost all my inhibitions and freely discuss matters with my wife. And she with me.

Today I wasn't quite up to the mark.

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 19:29

I can relate to most of what you say John. We manage most of the time, but we can be tense and short with each other as well. Its hard for us all, this site has helped me a great deal. We try and talk about how we feel, and support each others ' down' times. Last night i could not sleep, was on a real old downer, came home today, tired, but much more balanced. I am fairly strong and able to manage. Hard times, glad i have the best OH he's a proper star ;-) Cos I am the type who needs to know, and find out research has been good for me, it has given me purpose and direction to deal with my feelings, especially when I feel useless.
Thankfully we can also talk about most subjects, and laugh too.

Leila

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 19:55
Leila.

Thank you. It's hard for all us whether the patient or supporter.

Having any disease is horrible and when you know that its cancer then perhaps it's worse than any other.

This site is wonderful. It's helped me enormously on a personal level.

The medical staff are only doing their work after all and then they can go home and relax. For us it's our lives and some things stay on your mind for some time or even all the time. My wife is really very supportive but now as I'm 1 year past RT wants us to return to as normal as life as possible.

I also have a wonderful GP. She's been great.

If it hadn't had been for Kevin's post then I wouldn't possibly have asked about the blood today.

I've found much help and support here. And I hope that you will continue to as well.

Wishing you both all the best

John

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 21:33
Well good news ( for a change) saw consultant who had a good look up where the sun don't shine and announced that I have prostitus and has given me suppositories to use twice a day for a month. Said that should cure it.

Big relief . Thanks for everyone's posts today. Consultant did say though that one should not self diagnose as it could have been something else and only an inspection can prove either way.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 21:38

What is prostitus Kev ?? Doesn't compute!!

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 03:47

Pleased to read you have got another problem sorted must have been a bit of a bummer

Regards
Nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 06:17

That sounds manageable Kev, good news!

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 06:36
Sorry proctitis, a good paragraph about it on cancer research website. Thanks for everyone's support. What I found strange was that it has not been mentioned much on this forum before but many websites on dr Google say it is quite common.

Slept better last night and now am relieved and can be released without being scared to look at the bowl afterwards! Definitely no longer the "bummer" it was before lol

Blood test today, fingers crossed the last PSA rue was a blip.

Kev

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 07:34

Good luck Kev today with the test. Fingers crossed. Bleeding from any orrifice is no fun and just adds to worry. Glad it's ok for you now
Chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 07:43
Kev,

Really pleased for you that you have had a positive diagnosis and I hope that the treatment is effective.

I await my blood test results now after yesterday but was told at my appointment that my PSA level is stable at 0.2.

John

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 12:04

Good luck for today's results Kevin and so pleased that the "bummer" has been sorted out !

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 21:43
Phew Kev

I hope results are also good news.

I loved your e mail udate on the MDS ...and just to think I am sweating about my training for a 5k Colour dash with Ness and the girls in May!

You are such an inspiration to others.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 22:12

If the search function was working properly you would find loads of posts on here about radiation proctitis, Kev - but most of the guys who suffered most (or at least posted regularly on the subject) are no longer around.

I didn't suggest proctitis to you as the cause as I had forgotten you had RT - sorry!

Edited by member 29 Jan 2016 at 22:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 22:45
Thanks Lyn although the fact they are not around now makes me feel that those who got it clearly did not get longevity! Hope I buck the trend. Kev

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 00:44

Some of the men I am thinking of had been treated 10, 15 years ago when RT was more of a scattergun approach, I guess!

Judging from what I have read, I had the impression that most men get proctitis at some point after RT. I thought the only question mark was whether it happens soon and doesn't last or many years later and then stays.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 21:24
Well, it's funny how 2 patients can be seen on the same day with similar symptoms and be treated so differently.

I had a letter today from the Oncologist with the result of my blood test.

I have a low normal HB which needs to be rechecked in a months time by my GP.

Not quite sure what this actually means. I could look it up but I'd probably not understand it fully and only worry myself.

My wife said contact the surgery later this week once the doc haas had a chance to read the letter. Then worry !!

John

User
Posted 02 Feb 2016 at 05:44

hi
sometimes when I see my GP after a visit with onco who has already done a blood test which may have been 1 to 2 week prior, my GP will send me for a further blood test he does explain way mainly to check my immune system, last few blood pressure checks have been higher than normal but the opinion is its the chemo so will wait and see as tis has finished

regards
nidge

run long and prosper