Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSAProfile on HT

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 08:41
Hi Guys,

I've just joined the forum so sorry if I'm a bit clumsy with the etiquette but I hope I'll soon get the form. I've joined as my father has advanced PCa with extension beyond the capsule and signs of some bone plaques.

Now he started Prostap 3 about five months agao but was in hospital with another condition when his first 3 month top up was required. Being the good old NHS they didn't have any Prostap 3 so they gave him "something" that lasted a month. He has subsequently had his second Prostap jab administered by a DN at home.

Now my concern is his PSA still reads 7.5 (was 30 prior to treatment). His Urologist was pretty dismissive and said he was happy with what was going on and he'd see him in 6 months. However from what I've read I would have expected his PSA to be undetectable by now. What concerns me also is he is in pain in his groin reagion, the cause of which we are having investigated. Can anyone tell me if this PSA profile is normal and should I have the efficacy of the treatment so far investigated by insisting on a blood testosterone level test.

Thanks,

Jess

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 12:03

Hello Jess and welcome to the site.

I am sure somebody with Prostap experience will be along to advise you. The PSA is at least going down eh>

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 13:56
Hi Jess

Good to hear that your father's PSA readings are going in the right direction.

I started having Prostap injections in January 2013 at 3 monthly intervals and tolerated them quite well. I had hot flushes from time to time and put on weight around the middle.

My PSA was 408 when diagnosed but this came down fairly rapidly, last few visits to the Oncologist it stayed at 0.01. When I had may latest appointment just over a week ago it was undetectable, as you can see it's taken some time to get there. She's said not to have the injections anymore but will continue to monitor my PSA.

I'm not a professional but everyone is different so some may take less time, others may take more time to get the lowest possible result.

Keep posting with more details as and when and others will come along and offer their help and support.

Best wishes,

Arthur

Edited by member 29 Jan 2016 at 17:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 14:56

Hi jess
I started on prostap but had a bad side effect, so I suggest you have a read up on what these can be
I was put on to zoladex and the side effect went away
It has taken 10 months for my PSA to drop from 20 at first to 0.03 now
I dont think it is something that happens in a short time

Regarda
Nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 17:05
Hello and a welcome from me too.

You're in the right place for support and the personal experiences we have and continue to share.

I hope that all goes well for your and your family during this period.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 17:41

Jess, we need more information to be more help. My assumption based on the PSA reading and suggestion of bone mets, is that your father has Gleason 9 or 10 PCa. As such the treatment would be intended to control rather than cure. Depending on the aggressiveness of the cancer an undetectable reading may never be achieved.

I was a Gleason 9 with no mets detectable and a 62 PSA originally and I've never been below 0.3 - but I'm still going strong after 8 yrs and four months post diagnosis at the age of 72 and reckon on being around for several more years. My take on the readings you give is that good progress is being made and a six monthly review does not seem unreasonable. If you are concerned, arrange an interim PSA test via your father's GP at the half way point. If the trend isn't continuing down get hold of the consultant's secretary and arrange an early appointment. By the way. I'd ensure that he also sees an oncologist: the standard NHS approach is via multi-disciplinary team reviews with an oncologist and urologist both being seen.

Good Luck

AC in Northants

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 18:05
Thank you all ao much. Its lovely just to know others are out there on this journey. And I am reassured by your comments that his PSA is probably on the right track and it will take a bit longer to get right down. In the meantime I shall get to the bottom on the pain in the sacrum. Found out today that the bone scan ge had last year showed increased activity in the right sacrum, so I'm guessing his pain is a bone met, but I understand it can be treated with radiotherapy, is that right?

Jess