I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

nearing the end

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 07:41
Can't remember when I last posted but since then my Dad has rapidly declined. Loss of mobility over December, radiotherapy was given (5 doses) and was working well (was independently mobile last week ). He started to decline on Tuesday and was diagnosed with a cheat infection on Wednesday. By Thursday we had him rushed to hospital and was told sepsis and perforated bowel (which my have self healed ). He has improved greatly but yesterday were told that the perforation was and is unlikely to self repair. Dad will eventually succumb to the infection. Been told days, weeks months. Dad is in good spirits and wishes to continue treatment for as long as possible (IVAB). Doctors are pushing to stop treatment and send Dad to a hospice for end of life care. But as long as he wants treatment I'll make sure that he gets it. So he didn't get to have chemotherapy but maybe that is a good thing as he was so worried about it
User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 09:56

Hi Minny, so very sorry that you find your self in this situation with your dad. I know nothing about final stage care for PCa sufferers but my mother passed away with lung cancer in a hospice and although you know the end is near I tried to get as much " time" with her as I could, with every memory being stored.

Stay strong for your dad you are a wonderful caring daughter and I know you will do whatever you can to make his last period of this crap disease as good as you can.

My thoughts are with you at this time.

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 10:36

Hi Minny
Please accept my very best wishes and warm thoughts to you and your family. I hope you can keep strong. X
Chris

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 11:09

hi minny
not much I can add, but my thoughts are with

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 11:18

Hi Minny,

Glad your Dad is still able to make choices about whether to accept treatment or not, it is such an individual thing. Important  that he is made comfortable and every hour counts for him and his family. I send my best wishes at what is such a very hard time for you all.

Fiona. x

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 13:57

Hello minny
I thought I posted on this earlier but since it isn't showing perhaps I forgot to "post"

It's good that your dad wants to be in control and be treated.

Is he eating at all. I know the hospital is likely to be addressing the fluids but just wondered whether he would be able to take live yoghurt.
Many years ago I had to endure IVAB as well as intra muscular ones due to severe infection and I was unable to eat for a long while, which didn't do my recovery much good.

Anyway, just a thought.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 14:22

You are not going mad Johsan, Minny has two threads running 😉

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 15:57

BIG HUGS Minny.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 16:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You are not going mad Johsan, Minny has two threads running 😉

Thank Gawd for that.  I swear my mind is going and that didn't help !!

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 22:41
Thinking of you minny

Louise x

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 13:31
Thank you all for your kind messages. Apologies for having two threads - I've found it a bit confusing. Dad was talking and eating yoghurt last night and appears to like hot chocolate now! We're meeting with palliative care today. They've started him on iv fluids again and continue with IVAB. Nurses report he's been sleeping since last night. I'm eager to know result of blood tests from this morning so we know if antibiotics are helping at all. Thank you all again x
User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 14:01

Easily done minny.
When you start a new conversation it has to be moderated so there is always an initial delay before it appears on the page.

It's easy to think then that you haven't got your post on or forgot to press "Post" so you do it again and then it's duplicated.

Don't worry about it, you'll get the hang of it !

Is that live yoghurt your dad is eating? I think anything from a chiller cabinet is supposed to be "live" but those advertised with bacteria are supposed to be best. Perhaps ask the palliative care team. ?

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 14:21

With you all during this uncertain time.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2016 at 11:48
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. He's currently eating build up yoghurt and drinks.

We spent the whole night with him as the nurse was concerned. Doctors are managing his chest congestion. Report observations and bloods okay but now has blue arms and hands which are a sign of infection taking hold.

We're all in again later to see doctor and discuss options

User
Posted 02 Feb 2016 at 12:44
Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Steve

User
Posted 02 Feb 2016 at 13:27
Minny

You are all in our thoughts at this difficult time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 06:56
Dad passed away peacefully yesterday. Thank you for your support and kind words x
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 07:06
Minny,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Steve x

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 07:35

hi minny
sorry to read your news on dad, take care

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 07:39

My thoughts are also with you and I send my condolences.

Fiona. xx

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 07:48
Sorry to have this news.

My condolences to you and your family.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 09:25
So sad, take care of yourself at this most difficult of times.

Arthur

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 09:35

Minny,

Please accept my sincerest condolences, I pray that your Dad is able to rest in peace.

Pablo

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 10:02

Dear Minny

Just wanted to say how sad I am for your loss. I hope that happy memories of previous times together will eventually be the first things that come to mind when you think of your dad, rather than these last few months.

A cliche maybe, but time will heal and help.

All the best, thinking of you

Sandra

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 12:28
Minny

I am very sorry for your loss. Your Dad is at peace now. Keep the happy memories close in your mind and hold him dear in your heart. My sincere condolences to you and all of your family.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 12:55

So sorry to hear your news Minny, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 14:19

Thinking of you Minny. I hope you can stay strong. So sorry for your loss
Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 14:51
So sorry to read this Minny, my thoughts and condolences are with you and your family at this sad time.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 15:06
My sincere condolences Minny, May your beloved father rest in peace.

With kindest thoughts

Allison xxx

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 17:42
Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your dad.
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 18:17

So sorry to hear the news Minny, you have been so strong for your dad now you have to be strong for yourself.

Keep the good memories and try to block the bad ones.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 18:46
Minny

So sorry to hear of your loss thinking of you.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:29
So sad to read of your family's loss, my sincere condolences, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 19:39
Thinking of you and your family x
User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 23:06

Sorry to hear of your loss Minny
Thinking of you at this sad time