Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First hospital visit

User
Posted 08 Feb 2016 at 20:03
Evening everyone, hope you are all ok?

Dad has his first hospital appointment today and apart from some confusion at the beginning it was all quite positive. When the dr first saw him he didn't realise that he'd already had a bone scan that had confirmed the spread of the cancer. Once this was clarified the appointment changed completely - they are still going to do a biopsy next week but they have started him on hormone treatment today. We will then go back in around 3 weeks to discuss him going on the stampede trial. All seems quite positive but my sister is still quite concerned about the treatment for the cancer that has spread to dads bones. My understanding is that the hormone treatment will work on all the cancer including that in the bones ? Does that sound right

Dawn xxx

User
Posted 08 Feb 2016 at 21:51

Yes, that's correct - the hormone treatment stops his body producing testosterone, which in turn starves the prostate cancer wherever it is in his body. They may have also put him on casodex for just this first couple of weeks - casodex works slightly differently in that it disguises whatever testosterone is still floating around so that the cancer doesn't recognise it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2016 at 13:18

Hi everyone, hope you are all ok? 

Just wondered if anyone had experience of taking Bicalutamide? Dad started it on Monday. How long does it take for the drug to get into the system and side effects to start? I saw him yesterday and he seemed more tired than he had been. 

Also, I was wondering what the biopsy he is having on Monday will actually show? For those who don't know our story, Dad had a topsy turvy diagnosis - he had a bone scan first which showed a spread to his hips, spine and neck, then he had the blood test and had a PSA result of 33. 

Thanks everyone, having a really bad day and just need more answers 

Love to you all x

User
Posted 14 Feb 2016 at 13:31

Hello Dawn
Sorry you in this situation. I'm on Bical 150mg. I take it at bedtime. It knocked seven bells out of me for a fortnight, but 4 months on I'm ok. Tired a lot and emotional and muscle loss but overall I've adapted to it.
Even though dad has spread they will want to sample the cancer to check its aggressiveness and type. This will probably be a TRUS biopsy which you can read about in the publication section or Toolkit. Not pleasant but bearable. Hope it goes ok.
Chris

User
Posted 14 Feb 2016 at 13:41
Thanks Chris, that's really useful. Dad is taking it in the morning, perhaps he should change that to bedtime ?

Dawn x

User
Posted 14 Feb 2016 at 14:07

Ive always felt that if its ok , then tabs are best taken at bedtime , unless of course they keep you awake . That way , most of the effects are gone when you wake up . Only a theory ! Tablets affect people differently

User
Posted 14 Feb 2016 at 17:14

Is it taking bicultimide as well as other hormone treatment such as prostap. If so refer back to Lyn's post above as he will be taking it to prevent tumour flare and many only have this for a fortnight. If it's his only HT then he will have some of the side effects but they do vary over time. I have just finished 12 months on bicultimide though been taking prostap for four years so hard to distinguish effects. I would say I felt no real change when bicultimide was added. If you are searching in here people often use the name casodex which is another name for bicultimide.