I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice on temporary brachytherapy

User
Posted 11 Feb 2016 at 14:56

Any advice would be appreciated, prior to my visit to see tha consultant 1st March.

Thanks.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2016 at 19:18

Hi David,

Don't know much about High Dose Brachytherapy, most men on the forum seem to have the other form of Brachtherapy, ie the Low Dose seeds. I have bumped this up so hopefully some one who has had this treatment or one of our knowledgeable ladies can provide further information. My only thoughts are to ask the consultant whether you will be having External Beam RT to supplement the Brachy and or HT and if so for how long. You could also ask what further tests (if any) other than PSA will form part of your treatment plan.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Feb 2016 at 23:17

Hi David,

I had HDR Brachytherapy last February.

I had it as a 'salvage' job as I had initially had conventional EBRT (External Beam Radiation therapy) back in 2009, by 2013 my PSA was starting to rise again.

You can get all the detail on my profile.

Basically it was a sinch, two stays in hospital, first 3 days & 2 nights for the template biopsy, followed by another 3 days & 2 nights for the actual treatment, so given that I could plan ahead it was rather less desruptive to my life than the month of daily visits needed for EBRT.

And it doesn't hurt as you are given a general anethsetic, best fun was spent with the enema nurse the night before treatment! 

The side effects were also minimal, within a month of treatment I was fully continent and able to spend a night at the pub.

After six months I presumed all was done and dusted, I had forgotten about the treatment and got on with my life.

However pride goes before a fall and in August/September I came down with prostate infection, and subsequently experienced symptoms consistent with radiation cystitis.

Whether these were delayed side effects of standard HDR brachytherapy, or complications from having two blasts of RT, or just bad luck / routine infections I do not know.  They were soon sorted out, but I am on Tamsulosin now, no great problem just one more tablet to take every day.

As I side issue, a bit of a joke, when putting me on Tamsulosin my Consultant told me 'You must take one of these tablets every day for the rest of your life', he then wrote me a perscription for 30 tablets!   

But 90 days later I am still here, still continent, still going down the pub.

On a more serious note I gathered from the Doctors that their belief is that HDR Brachytherapy will ultimately replace external beam treatment, because with the radioactive probes actually inserted into your tumour, they can give the cancer a lot more radiation while there is not so much colateral damage inflicted on surrounding tissues.

Certainly I exeperienced none of the bowel issues normally associated with EBRT.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 09:52

Thanks Dave and Barry.

My initial consultation with Consultants at Chelmsford hospital, advised me that I couldn't have Brachytherapy, so was going to go for RT.

However on a follow-up visit, i saw a different doctor, who said i could go to Southend Hospital and have High dose RT, or Temp Brach.

I have been on HT for 5 weeks now, and still have no side effects at all, and would like to keep it that way, if possible. So any advice on my next move is greatly appreciated.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 16:07

Hi David, My husband, also a David is due to have HD Brachytherapy hopefully quite soon, he has been on hormone treatment since October 2015. He is waiting to hear about dates, two weeks after the HD Brachy, he is having a course of radiotherapy. We live in mid Wales so all this treatment is talk place about 3 hours drive away from home.Thankfully we are both determined types.
Do let us know how you get on.

Leila.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 16:08

My OH had high dose Brachy instead of low dose as his psa had increased before treatment started. He was in hospital for one night ,no problems with continence or bowels apart from slight flow problem which was treated with Tamsulosin. He had 3 weeks RT afterwards and no further HT. He has had no further problems , we are now 18 months later. He stopped Tamsulosin after a while .

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 17:46

Thanks for the information. What Gleason score did your OH have ? 

Leila.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 20:36

Hi Leila. Gleason 3+4 - 7 . His psa was 22 on treatment and 2.3 at last check up. His next check up is March. Good luck to you all,

Elajai.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2016 at 22:15

My older brother had the HD Brachy in 2013 followed by 15 sessions of External Beam RT in 2013. His Gleason score was 9 and original PSA 14 but the cancer was still contained within the capsule.

He also had 20 months on Bicalutamide.

He did have to take Tamsulosin for a bit after the brachy but he has done very well on this treatment plan and his PSA level is now negligible. He found the whole process quite acceptable and he was doing a bit of light home decoration 3 days after the brachy.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2016 at 01:47

Hi Guys,

I know that this website has certain rules, and one of the rules is that we are not supposed to mention by name, surgeons or hospitals.

However, given that I have nothing to say other than to praise the quality of the medical treatment I received.

And that rules are for the guidance of wise men and blind obedience of fools I offer the following thoughts:

HDR Brachytherapy is not widely available just yet, most hospitals don't have the correct kit and training.

I live in Norfolk, where last year HDR Brachytherapy was not available locally.

However my consultant refered me to [name removed by moderator] at Mount Vernon Hospital in Hertfordshire, whose team have all of the kit and are pretty dammed good at giving HDR Brachytherapy, their catchment area includes all of the northern Home Counties and East Anglia, it may indeed extend further.

So if you think that you meet the criteria for HDR Brachytherapy, and it isn't available locally, don't be bashfull, ask to be referred to somewhere were it is available.

:)

Dave 

Edited by moderator 14 Apr 2016 at 09:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Feb 2016 at 02:27

Hi Dave,

I have wondered why forum rules are that we should not name consultants, yet we can link to a video by a Consultant/Doctor which clearly states his/her name. I guess it is because of possible comebacks if perhaps a derogatory reference is made or maybe somebody was recommended and there was alleged negligence by a person acting on the recommendation on this PCUK forum with potential litigation. Anybody else have any ideas why?

Good you were happy with Prof H and your treatment. As less well known treatments become more widely available, it is going to make it even more difficult for patients and consultants to decide best option.

Barry
User
Posted 13 Feb 2016 at 08:40

Hi Barry

I think the answer to your question about naming consultants and others lies in individual choice. If a clinician or anyone else decides to go public with his name, views or advice on a video which is made available for the public then that is their choice. If someone quotes a clinicians name in any context on the Forum then that is not the choice of the clinician. I think PCUK intends that the Forum should not be used in that way so they do not become involved in any possible repercussions.

I follow your activities and I hope you are well!

Alan