Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Self-cathertisation

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 13:05

Hi all,

After being treated for a second time for a urethral stricture (this time as an emergency after going into retention), it looks like I'm going to have to self-catheterise, not to pee but just as a measure to keep the urethra open. I understand I'm going to need to do this 3-4 times a week to start and I'll have to keep doing it like forever (although a urethroplasty has been mooted as a possible option).

Anyway a nurse is coming to visit in a few weeks to teach me how to do it and it's a visit I'm really really looking foreword to - not!

Therefore, to prepare myself for this next chapter of my journey, I'd really appreciate any tips from guys similarly effected, e.g.  any common pitfalls etc.

Thanks

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 13:12

I can't offer advice at all I'm afraid but wish you nothing but success in this new endeavour. Quite often these things sound awful , but will be second nature next month.
All the best
Chris

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 14:18

I had to self-catheterise (is that a verb??? Dunno) for about six months after an optical urethrotomy to deal with a stricture. For the first couple of weeks I was doing it daily, then twice per week for the remainder of the six months.

Really it is no big deal. I started off with a size 12 (quite small) then 14 then, for the majority of the time size 16 (one down from hosepipe). The catheters are disposable so you don't have to worry about cleaning after use. The procedure is simple - hold penis somewhere near vertical so there is a smoothish curve of the urethra down, then up again into the bladder. Gently insert catheter until it stops (usually hitting the sphincter and/or opening up a stricture), apply gentle pressure until the sphincter lets it through then stop as urine appears in the tube.

The size of catheter you can manage obviously depends on your anatomy. You may assume what you like from my ability to use a size 16.... The worst part was having to demonstrate that I could manage the insertion of the catheter in the presence of a (female) nurse..... After six years of living with prostate cancer and its after-effects, you would think that I would be used to revealling all and having various orifices probed and examined, but hey ho.

Incidentally, no sign of a return of the stricture.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:13

Flexi

Sounds like we have been on an almost identical journey and still on it. Check my profile and you will see the similarities.  Tony is spot on with his description, no big deal just relax when inserting the catheter. My stricture did return while doing ISD /ISC and despite an incision into the scar tissue, seems it has returned according to a cystoscopy on 3rd Feb 2016. I see my urethral consultant 3rd March but my main issue was incontinence not retention. My robot consultant thinks the stricture helped me regain my continence after the op. I was told three or four dilatations to sort the stricture was not uncommon. I assume you have had a cystoscopy and they have ruled out migrating hem-o-lok clips from the robotic surgery, it is rare but on my forth ureteral op they found a second clip.

Go to show search and type "bladder neck" there are some posts that may be of use.

Hope you get it resolved and let us know if you have the urethroplasty.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:52

Hi there,

I have just started this journey too.  I had the tube stretched due to a restriction after my LRP two years ago.  For the last two weeks I have been self-catheterising twice a day.  This then goes down to once every other day for two weeks, then once a week for six weeks.

Like you I was dreading it but after the first week it has become a lot easier. Just remember to take your time and try to relax. I find it easy to take deep breaths when inserting the tube.  I have also been marking each session on the calendar to ensure that i don't get in a muddle.

Good luck with it!

Steve
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 16:02

The thought is definitely a lot worse than the actual procedure. Though for different reasons I have been Doing ISC for most of the last four years. At one time up to four times a day but now a steady twice a day. I retain water and sometimes I retain a lot and that is when I go up to four times. Keeping calm and not panicking is vital as this could restrict entry. Otherwise is gets easier after a few goes. Takes me about five minutes only now. Good luck.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 16:34

Hi flexi

A bit more ... If you have difficulty getting past the sphincter pause for a moment and either cough or take a deep sigh and at the same gently push again. This has worked for me. The procedure sounds worse than it is for many men.

Alan .

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 05:22
Hi gents my hubby had issues with needing a catheter whilst on his radiotherapy but we had a district nurseccome out to do this. Is it the same catheter which is used or would it be an easier one for self use?

He is not at that stage get but I can see this being a possibility down the line.

He's not slim but cuddly and somehow I can't see this working?

He seemed uncomfortable enough when someone else was doing it for him.

Thanks

Debbie

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 10:40

It is a completely different procedure Debbie to inserting a proper catheter. The self catherisation uses disposals thin tubes which you insert yourself until water flows then remove and dispose. Being cuddly would not make any difference, I am as cuddly as anyone on this site and I have had few problems with this procedure. The advantages of it is that you only need use it when you have some retention. A full time catheter is in all the time and therefore carries all sorts of other problems.

As I said above the procedure is simple and once the technique is mastered really does not cause any problems. I can still recall starting and really thought I would never conquer this. My son spotted that I was staying up later and later to avoid doing it. He was right once I realised I had to do this, I got on with it and a few days later only had the technique mastered with limited pain as it passes the sphincter muscle. I now do it twice a day just before bed and first thing in the morning and simply get on with the rest of my life.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 11:21

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Just had a call from the lovely Melanie confirming the appointment (good grief, not another woman fiddling with my kn*b) and a step-by-step DVD through the post (oh well. something different to watch on a Friday night with the wife).

Relax Flexi, Relax!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 14:58

Just an update to close this thread.

On Monday the lovely Melanie arrived pulling behind her what seemed a trolley of coloured golf clubs. These turned out however to be boxes of catheters and other paraphernalia. 

Anyway, after a quick chat we got down to business and after a bit of fumbling I manage to do it (and surprised myself at how easy and painless it was).

Now after a few days I'm becoming a bit of a "dab hand" and the thought of doing it for the rest of my life doesn't feel so much of a burden. as it did before. I just wished that the sticky bit on the back of the packet was a little bit more sticky! 

Flexi

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 15:26

Really pleased for you flexi ! I was right haha .
Best wishes
Chris

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 16:45

Great flexi,

I have been doing it for 18 months or more and it is very routine and quick activity. I have had th odd UTI (though am prone to them anyway) but just be aware of that and get to the GO quick to get it sorted if it happens. But I haven,t had one for over six months now. Enjoy (if that is the right word)

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 17:28
Flexi

We all told you it would be easy, but it sounds worse than it actually is. As Paul says any sign of UTI get it sorted.

Hope it does the trick.

Thanks Chris