I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Longtime

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 13:00

Diagnosed inoperable CA Prostate nearly 16 years ago, am now 84, I declined radiotherapy at that time, am currently taking Bicalutamide 50mg 1 a day and 3 monthly Goserelin implant. Am clinically obese, have developed Peripheral Neuropathy (which precludes any effective exercise) both of which I attribute to my medication. My care has now been transferred to my GP and I am due my annual check-up March 2016. I am considering asking for my medication to be stopped in the (vain) hope of perhaps losing some weight if nothing else. Would love to hear from any similar!

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 15:54

Hello stationred, and an official welcome to the site on your first post.

I see you have been here since 2006 so you must know a lot about us by now!

Even with your problems, (obesity, peripheral neuropathy) you will be a beacon of light to those who are also diagnosed inoperable.

As you will know, new treatments are ongoing, so I hope that when you attend your annual check-up next month, the experts can come up with something to help with the weight.

I'm sure there will be others along to offer their advice and in the meantime I wish you all the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 00:25

Hi Johsan, Thanks for the kind words of welcome Have never thought of myself as a beacon of light, I fear Broad Beam is nearer the mark. I understand the progress of treatments but my desire now is to rid myself of treatments. I'm happy enough but I don't anticipate living for very much longer, the medication has resulted in quite a loss of bone mass, am teetering on the cusp of Type 2 Diabetes and have had a couple of TIAs. I am sure that in the unlikely event of my cancer becoming the major problem then palliative care would be available.

My best wishes to all.

Brian,

User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 00:39

Hi Stationred,
what's your current PSA and how has it held over the last couple of years? We have had a number of members who have successfully used intermittent hormone treatment, including (as you probably know better than me) Topgun and George. If your PSA is consistently low, a hormone holiday may be just the boost you need!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 01:21

Hi Brian,

I think having a one to one with your GP is a good idea and I hope something will follow that may ameliorate your condition. I would assume that you have already had dietary advice and perhaps physiotherapy? Another thing may help or at least be pleasurable is massage.

Unfortunately, I am well overweight and have reduced my intake of food and resumed a bit of sporting activity in an effort to reduce weight, even cutting back on chocolate and ice cream which are most likely responsible.

I still have a packet of Bicalutamide which I was asked to take after my HIFU treatment as a precursor to starting Zoladex but I am loathe to start it for reasons you will understand. However, if my PSA continues to climb I will seek other treatment (maybe more RT) and only if this does not work start the Bicalutamide. I think you might be right in as much as when the effects of medication cause more problems than they help with, it is reasonable to question whether it makes sense to take HT for your remaining time. However, it might be worth asking your GP or oncologist if there is an alternative you could try.

I

Barry
User
Posted 23 Feb 2016 at 00:38

Thank you both, I haven't kept track of my PSA for some years now, I do know that the last few times I've been told that it was up a bit but I don't recall the actual figures. As a dear friend of mine continues to state "There are three important minuses when growing old, first your memory starts to fail, then.........I can't remember what the other two were ! (:-) Will report back.

Brian.