I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chicken and Eggs

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 17:17
I was concerned to read today's Daily Mail article 'What to eat to beat Prostate Cancer'.

It stated that eating less than one egg per day could double the risk of the cancer spreading.

And that the only thing worse than eggs was chicken!!

Not surprisingly it mentioned the link to dairy, which I was well aware of, and that plant diets are advisable.

I realize that these findings were based perhaps upon small scale studies, but was alarmed to read about the poultry, as since diagnosis we have had chicken most days, as we were trying to reduce red meat consumption.

I am not clever enough to link the article to this site but perhaps someone else will?

On a positive note it suggested that 3 table spoons of GROUND flaxseeds per day were beneficial.

Worth a read to make your own decision from it.

ATB

Alison

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 18:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I was concerned to read today's Daily Mail article 'What to eat to beat Prostate Cancer'.

It stated that eating less than one egg per day could double the risk of the cancer spreading.

I realize that these findings were based perhaps upon small scale studies, but was alarmed to read about the poultry, as since diagnosis we have had chicken most days, as we were trying to reduce red meat consumption.

Alison

Having scan read the study that DM loosely based its' article on, there are some issues to think about:

Eating chicken covers a wide range of possibilities- and remember this study was carried out in the USA. The researchers mentioned that cooking the poultry meat was somehow creating a build up of carcinogens. We are not told if they ate broiled or deep fried chicken. Being American, we might guess that one. The link between browned foods-crisps/chips/toast/ fried food and cancer is often raised but many studies fail to find a clear link. Earlier studies with similar claims have been analysed by the NHS and found to have significant flaws in the methodology and analysis- e.g. see http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/09September/Pages/eggs-in-diet-prostate-cancer-risk.aspx

Remember though , this is the Daily Mail - imagine their reporting on the question of which came first - chicken or egg?

Life saving Consultant Urological surgeon with a  funny surname or 'Scrounging immigrant destroying our way of life'......? Take your pick.

Edited by moderator 17 Oct 2023 at 06:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 19:20

Sounds like typical Daily Mail reporting Alison, at best sloppy and at worst misleading. Flaxseed oil is known to be very bad for men with PCa. Prostate Cancer Research UK say we shouldn't have too many eggs for the same reason as muscle meats - full of growth hormones - but they don't go as far as saying cut them out completely. Chicken has very little muscle meat. Eating a range of foods in moderation is usually a good plan.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 10:43

well I have eggs most days, the hens keep laying them what am i to do , but no meat at all so stuff the advice will continue to have them as i enjoy a boiled egg .Andy

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 19:20

Sounds like typical Daily Mail reporting Alison, at best sloppy and at worst misleading. Flaxseed oil is known to be very bad for men with PCa. Prostate Cancer Research UK say we shouldn't have too many eggs for the same reason as muscle meats - full of growth hormones - but they don't go as far as saying cut them out completely. Chicken has very little muscle meat. Eating a range of foods in moderation is usually a good plan.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 22:27

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3473915/What-eat-beat-prostate-cancer-Eating-vegetables-like-broccoli-kale-cabbage-cut-spread-disease-half.html

Some things are acknowledged and are followed by men on the forum whilst others are more controversial. I would want other studies to agree with some of the conclusions before accepting as gospel.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Mar 2016 at 09:23

i eat chicken and turkey thinking they are okay,all these reports you dont know what to eat,poultry is bad for prostate cancer in march,it will be good for you in august.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2016 at 09:29

Oh dear... My wife has milled flaxseed on her breakfast every morning and has just encouraged me to start having it on my cereal.

Arthur

User
Posted 04 Mar 2016 at 11:31

If only Rob were still with us, for there was a man who had done his homework on foodstuffs and supplements.  Having said that a quick glance at his profile still shows his dietary intake and it still makes for good reading.

To quote just some of the content:

No red meat.
chicken or turkey - Only every few weeks; usually when out & no alternatives. No leg or wing meat, or skin.
No dairy produce.
No egg yolk.

I do like an occasional egg however, on rereading Rob's diet (I must admit we did discuss eggs as a big no,no at Leicester some years ago) I shall make a greater effort.  

Perhaps his omelette made with egg whites may be the answer: Recently started using egg white for omlettes - a change for breakfast. Just add in tomatoes & herbs.

Roger
User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 15:38

I think Lyn's advice of eating a range of foods in moderation is indeed a good plan. There can be a danger in reading about a particular health scare and then thinking that the boiled egg I had 3 days ago will result in almost certain death. Last night I was googling away (well there was nothing on TV) and I read a lot of learned papers, including some from Harvard, touching on things like dairy. That excessive dairy consumption is a risk factor seems fairly clear but I noted from one study that they were looking at subjects who ate/drank the equivalent of 3 glasses a day. My own response has been to drastically reduce but not completely eliminate dairy. I still have a splash of milk in tea and, very occasionally, have a small piece of cheese. Prior to my diagnosis I was a bit of a cheese fiend.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 16:23
Pete,

I walked straight into PCa. As I think I kept the entire dairy industry in the UK alive, it should be bankrupt now.

Heavy milk consumption and a lover of cheese. I'd think nothing of drinking a couple of glasses of milk after playing sport each evening.

Actually I switched to black tea and coffee in my mid twenties though. I have also always drunk lots of water.

Now I'm on soya milk for my daily porridge ( high cholesterol as well ) and avoid processed foods. No pastry either.

I'll have cheese sparingly now ( cheese sauce occasionally ) and have totally upped fruit and veg intake. Fish features strongly too.

I completed a survey for Uni of Manchester Onco dept after dx. It took forever to finish but went into amazing detail about my life .

Sex, work ,exercise, diet etc.

What scared me was how much ham I then ate ( easy for lunches ) and dairy.

I've never been a fan of supplements and do not take them .

As said by many others , a comfortable range of foods in moderation is fine .

However I do not eat red meat and now avoid sausages like the plague. No more bbq for me.!

Wife getting annoyed with my faddish ways but deep down understands why. And is accommodating when we draw up the weekly menu plan for the week .

Eat and drink well everyone, as long as you're not put off by what's not currently recommended. It seems to change daily now.

John

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 10:43

well I have eggs most days, the hens keep laying them what am i to do , but no meat at all so stuff the advice will continue to have them as i enjoy a boiled egg .Andy

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 18:22

Alison

Having scan read the study that DM loosely based its' article on, there are some issues to think about:

Eating chicken covers a wide range of possibilities- and remember this study was carried out in the USA. The researchers mentioned that cooking the poultry meat was somehow creating a build up of carcinogens. We are not told if they ate broiled or deep fried chicken. Being American, we might guess that one. The link between browned foods-crisps/chips/toast/ fried food and cancer is often raised but many studies fail to find a clear link. Earlier studies with similar claims have been analysed by the NHS and found to have significant flaws in the methodology and analysis- e.g. see http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/09September/Pages/eggs-in-diet-prostate-cancer-risk.aspx

Remember though , this is the Daily Mail - imagine their reporting on the question of which came first - chicken or egg?

Life saving Consultant Urological surgeon with a  funny surname or 'Scrounging immigrant destroying our way of life'......? Take your pick.

Edited by moderator 17 Oct 2023 at 06:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2017 at 08:43

I have to say I was a little concerned as well given the fact I have almost cut out red meat and turned to chicken as an option, being a white meat so to speak.  I did some searching however and found a reference to this study which tended to debunk the theory of it causing a much more aggressive form of pc.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4741082/