Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any help appreciated

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 20:25
Hi everyone,

My father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago. He has been having hormone implants since and all was going fine until recently.

He kept having problems urinating and ended up in hospital a couple of times and had to be catheterised but was then sent home.

He saw his oncologist a few weeks ago who said the cancer had invaded the bladder and would need chemotherapy as radiotherapy was not an option. He also said that he would need a blood transfusion. Three weeks ago he pitched up to see oncologist for blood transfusion prior to chemotherapy, but has been in hospital since. His Hb was so low he has had to have more units of blood, 2 stents fitted in his ureters and now has 2 nephrostomies which have had to be re-inserted twice as they fell out. He now has an infection to top it all which can't be treated with antibiotics of choice because he had a reaction to it.

He is very fed up at the moment as you can expect but he is even more worried when he is allowed home as his wife had a stroke last summer and is bed bound. It is the care that we are struggling to understand, does anyone know if he will be entitled to any care whatsoever when he comes home. He is just so worried that he will now be able to cope with the cooking etc. And I believe it's starting to play on his mind.

If anyone can share any information I would be truly grateful.

Thank you in anticipation.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 22:10

Hello Melanie and welcome to the site.

I'm sure that one of our experienced members will be able to advise you regarding benefits or help. You could also try the Macmillan nurses at the hospital he is in.

There is always a delay on the first posts by new members but I am sure that as soon as yours is seen it will be answered by somebody who can point you in the right direction

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 23:03
I hope so and thank you. We will ask about Macmillan nurses tomorrow.
User
Posted 03 Mar 2016 at 23:24

Talk to the Mcmillan nurses or if you have a Maggie's Centre at the hospital, them instead - ask for advice about applying the the local authority for a Carer's assessment. Your dad needs an assessment as your mum's carer and you possibly need an assessment as your dad's carer!

Has the hospital suggested that dad is terminal? If so, he will be netitled to some financial support as well.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2016 at 07:25
Thank you will try that, much appreciated really.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 06:42

I am assuming family are caring for your m-i-l. She should have been offered an assessment prior to her discharge from hospital unless she refused or possibly your f-i-l said he could manage.

As lyn says contact your local authority as your m-i-l should have a community care assessment along with her carers having an assessment.

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 09:18
Hi thank you for you reply.

Yes my mil is having carers at home as it was too much for the family to commit to full time and whist my fil is in hospital, just going into week 5, a24 hour carer is in situ. My fil is just worried how he will cope with it all when he comes home. Hopefully an assessment will be done prior to his discharge, which unfortunately may not be for a while yet as his kidney function isn't too good again🙁. I didn't realise how much care costs and at £800 per week it won't take long to eat up their money, how sad life can become.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 12:52

Hi

That is costly. Are the family paying privately? Has your mil been assessed by the local authority?
It is also worth enquiring about a health assessment via the local authority or maybe the GP. If your mil has eligible health needs she may get all or part of her care package funded by the clinical commissioning group (CCG). Healthcare is free in this country and if she is eligible following a health assessment she shouldn't be charged

Bri

User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 13:58
Hello. When we needed carers for elderly parents we had to pay as they had savings, not huge savings but there were some. We had to pay in a care home too. But once it became palliative care it was free.
User
Posted 06 Mar 2016 at 16:35
Hi,

Thank you I will enquiry

Mel