I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hernia Complication

User
Posted 09 Mar 2016 at 20:56

I have been diagnosed with G7 stage PC in Feb 2016. I am 68. The recommendation I have is to remove the prostate by Robotic surgery. I am fine with that and can't wait to get it done. However, I had a hernia operation in June 2015 at my belly button. This is an unwanted complication as the surgeon will have to cut the mesh to carry out the Op. I will then have to have a separate Op to restock the Hernia netting.

I would like to know if any one has had this issue.

Also my PSA has always been normal generally below 4 yet had slower flow of my urine and bladder not emptying fully (40% retention) I was told this would be a problem if over 50%.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2016 at 22:54
Hi Hulk

I had a hernia that was fairly large and the surgeon did a full repair job on the hernia at the same time as he did the robot assisted prostatectomy. I had told them about the hernia but the repair was never discussed prior to the op and I wss surprised and delighted when they told me afterwards that they had done both ops "while we were in there".

No idea whether this is standard procedure but I was pleased. Just meant that I had to take a bit of additional care during recovery.

Hope all goes well.

Kevan

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 00:45

Hulk, have you also seen an oncologist? If the surgeon cannot repair the hernia mesh at the same time as removing the prostate, it might be better to avoid the problem by opting for radiotherapy? Worth discussing with an onco perhaps?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 08:29

Might be worth considering brachytherapy Hulk. I had a similar complication and turned robotic down - don't regret it at all. My Gleason was 7 and PSA 16 at the time.

Re. bladder problem ..... it's probably not related to the cancer. They can do a mini TURP before the brachy to put that right, that's what I needed.

dl

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 08:34

Hello Hulk and welcome

Bearing in mind that ANY operation involving anaesthetic is potentially dangerous I would have thought (like in Kevan's case) that repairing the hernia at the same time would make sense.

Could you not ask your consultant to do the repair at the same time?

I know I've asked on the day of a shoulder repair op for an unconnected small lump to be looked at just further along and although no guarantee was given I came round to find they had done it and sent it off to the lab in the basis that while they were in there they might as well

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 16:31
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses.

Just to let you know, I also have Ulcerative Colitis in addition to the hernia repair. I have had it for 35 years.

I have had consultation with a Radio Therapist who offered a high density Brachytherapy.

My symptoms are that my bladder has 40% retention, weak stream and need to wee too often (every 90min virtually).

These systems I was told may not go after the treatment.

There may be an issue with the bladder.

For these reasons, an MRI will be carried out.

This should help assess the condition of the bladder and the extent of the hernia mesh.

At least 3 people have said the best option is removal of the prostate, I suppose to avoid any chance in future of any reoccurrence. However, this is invasive with longer recovery period.

The second option is the one off high density Brachytherapy where tubes are inserted right into the prostate for high density radiation. This should be shorter recovery time.

So currently, I am tossing the two and hope the MRI helps in making my mind up.

Mean while I am hulking along with my golfing, playing Volleyball and getting on with life in general.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 17:13

Hi Hulk

I had a small umbilical hernia which was mesh repaired years ago. Pre-op, I mentioned it to the surgeon who did my robot assisted prostatectomy. he hummed about it,  and then said 'we may go for an extraperitoneal approach then' ( still robot prostatectomy, but a variant technique).

When I spoke with the surgeon the day after the op, I queried him about the approach he had chosen because there was a dressing and wound just above my belly button. He told me that he hadn't used an extraperitoneal approach because the mesh was small enough to not be in the way. 

I guess if it's a large mesh repair, you might not have the option as I did. As well as the the complexity ( or lack of it) that your individual circumstances might  present in any surgery, the technique chosen will also depend on the  skill and experience of the surgeon. 

Hope that's of use. Best wishes.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 18:51

Interesting that brachy has been offered - it isn't usually available to men with pre-existing urinary problems such as retention.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 22:35

It can be these days by some hospitals Lyn, as you well know. It was with me ...... but I needed a minor op before the brachy.

dl