I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Immune system and side affects of HT injection?

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 10:46
Hi everyone,

I posted this yesterday on my other post but I haven't had any feedback so thought I should maybe start another one?

Just a quick question. My mum was asking me whether dads immune system is affected by the cancer at all? Is he more susceptible to colds and things or does this not affect his health in that way?

Also, dad has his first lot of his HT injection (Goserin??) today at the GP. Do you know if this will bring any side affects? How will dad feel after the injection? I'm assuming that the side affects will be the same as the tablet HT he is taking but just thought I'd ask seeing as I am here.

Still yet to receive the appointment date to see the oncologist. It's been a week since we saw the urologist and things have been tough but we are getting through it together.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Penny

Xxx

"Some people care too much. I think it's called love." by A.A. Milne
User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 12:36

Hi Penny,
After over 8 years on Zoladex, I'm qualified to tell you that the usual side effects are lethargy, weight gain (especially around the hips) and a loss of sexual drive. For my part, I was able to counter the first two by exercise and careful attention to diet. Indeed I managed to lose a stone and a half despite the androgen deprivation therapy. The important thing is to be in charge of one's condition and to ensure continuing good health despite the disease and the treatment side effects. I'm afraid the loss of sex drive just has to be accepted - it goes with the loss of testosterone! To the best of my knowledge the immune system is unaffected by hormone treatment. It will look after itself given good health.

The 12 weekly jab is with a pretty fat needle and some bruising (which fades in a week or so) is to be expected on occasions.
Encourage your Dad to be positive about things. That's half the battle won.

AC in Northants

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 13:03
Hi Penny

I am not as qualified as AC as only been on zoladex for 15 months, hot flushes are my biggest side effect as I have kept running which has kept the weight off.

That said, my onco said that every human should take vitamin d between September and May effectively as vitamin d is good for the immune system and we usually only get it from summer sun. I have been popping those for a year and only had one cold. A tenner will get you a years worth.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 15:51
Penny,

I too am on Zoladex .

My symptoms are very similar to those already reported by the others.

I have gained weight around the middle which is very noticeable as I am very slender in build. But I have managed to control this by keeping very active.

It's important to exercise as much as possible. As there is no testosterone to help the body, it's good to do weight bearing exercises, running , walking , gardening etc.

Changes to diet can help too. There are various suggestions which you can find online or trawl through the various comments already posted .Avoiding alcohol is sensible too as there is a greater risk of osteoporosis . Keep drinking lots of water.

I don't know if your parents are the sort to tell their friends or family or not re this cancer , but it might an idea to advise them as to what they might expect from him.

All our friends know , so no one is particularly surprised now when I start flushing.

The hot flushes do not affect every HT patient but many do suffer. Wearing layers of clothing can help, so they can be easily removed as needed. I find that by lifting my shirt above the waist then it allows the heat to escape. Sometimes I also become very cold too, even when everyone else is fine temperature wise.

I've had several acupuncture sessions which have greatly assisted me with the flushes. I go to my local cancer support centre at the hospital and make a donation . See whether your hospital has this service .

Another point is that HT can produce heightened emotions. I can become very teary sometimes. And for no reason at all. It's a well known side effect and reported often on this site.

My wife gets exasperated with me sometimes and my daughters just laugh at me when I'm flushing. But they're all very supportive too.

I'd rather not be going through this but cope because it's helping me stay alive.

Best wishes to you all.

John

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 20:37

Hi penny, I too have been on Zoladex since Feb last year and like John we seem to be mirroring the side effects.

I cannot add much to help as it has mostly been said by the others, the tearful bit can be embarrassing depending on where I am at the time especially when the people around me do not know the reasons why. My wife usually steps in to explain, bless her.

Once your dad has spoken with the oncologist and there is a treatment plan you will know more and if you need to ask more questions on this site there will be plenty of us to help you understand what you have been told.

Have you downloaded the "toolkit " from this site yet? You can also get one posted by calling the number here as well look through publications.

When your dad goes for his appointment it will be very helpful for your mum or yourself to go with him to be able to take in what he is told. It is so easy to miss something and if you have questions to ask write them down, also write down any details provided like PSA result, Gleason score, staging and anything else given.

Best wishes for his appointment

Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 14:08

Hi Penny, see my post further down the page