I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bracytherapy side effects

User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 12:02

I am a worried wife new to the online community.  My husband underwent permanent seed brachytherapy 4 days ago.   So far he is fine, other than being a bit tired.   I have read lots of information about the probable side effects.   Am I right in thinking that the side effects will become apparent after about 2 weeks?   

User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 13:44

Hi L
it depends which side effects you are thinking about. Some people sail through with very few SEs at all. Sometimes you can read about side effects without anyone specifying whether these are SEs of permanent brachy or the other kind.

Some side effects, like erectile dysfunction and bowel problems may not appear until many years later.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2016 at 14:05
Hello. My other half had brachy in January 2015. He was one of the unfortunate ones to suffer badly with side effects. We know if 3 family friends that had brachy with barely any side effects. You are correct that side effects are worse started at about 4-6 weeks after the treatment. He suffered prostatitis after the biopsy which is still causing problems now. He suffered lots of burning when he wee's. That started from day 1 of brachy something he still suffers from occasionally now. At about week 4 he needed to wee a lot. He was getting up every hour all night and going all day. Luckily being a farmer it didn't prevent him working as he was outside and could wee out there. There's no one about. Had he had a different job it would have been difficult. But the consultant said these side effects are very rare. I met one chap on here who was suffering as my other half was, but everyone else seems to have gone through without many side effects.

On the plus side psa was 0.6 last month. Seeing the consultant tomorrow.

I hope you're husband gets on ok I think it's unlikely he'll suffer as my other half did, but side effects will peak at 4-6 weeks. Apparently according to our consultant, no one has complained of side effects beyond the 9 month mark so my other half apparently the first!

As Lyn said side effects like ED can take up to 2 years to start to show. (So the consultant told us)

All the best.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 13:44

Hi L
it depends which side effects you are thinking about. Some people sail through with very few SEs at all. Sometimes you can read about side effects without anyone specifying whether these are SEs of permanent brachy or the other kind.

Some side effects, like erectile dysfunction and bowel problems may not appear until many years later.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2016 at 14:05
Hello. My other half had brachy in January 2015. He was one of the unfortunate ones to suffer badly with side effects. We know if 3 family friends that had brachy with barely any side effects. You are correct that side effects are worse started at about 4-6 weeks after the treatment. He suffered prostatitis after the biopsy which is still causing problems now. He suffered lots of burning when he wee's. That started from day 1 of brachy something he still suffers from occasionally now. At about week 4 he needed to wee a lot. He was getting up every hour all night and going all day. Luckily being a farmer it didn't prevent him working as he was outside and could wee out there. There's no one about. Had he had a different job it would have been difficult. But the consultant said these side effects are very rare. I met one chap on here who was suffering as my other half was, but everyone else seems to have gone through without many side effects.

On the plus side psa was 0.6 last month. Seeing the consultant tomorrow.

I hope you're husband gets on ok I think it's unlikely he'll suffer as my other half did, but side effects will peak at 4-6 weeks. Apparently according to our consultant, no one has complained of side effects beyond the 9 month mark so my other half apparently the first!

As Lyn said side effects like ED can take up to 2 years to start to show. (So the consultant told us)

All the best.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 21:06

Hi Lyn and sjtb

Thank you for your replies, it really does help to hear how others have coped with the side effects. Hubby still fine at the mo, though some sensitivity when passing urine. I expect I will be on asking lots more questions as time goes on, it really helps to have somewhere to go for information and advice from others in similar situations.

Linda

User
Posted 14 Mar 2016 at 21:07

Thank you also for the 2 private messages I received. As I am new to the site I cannot yet send replies to private messages but will do so when I am able.

Linda

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 19:14

Hello Linda and a belated welcome as I've just been on holiday.

My husband had permanent seed Brachytherapy in June 2014 (check out our profile - sorry it's a bit long ended as I tend to use it as a diary !)

He is now 75. Would he still have had the (relatively) mild side effects had he been a younger man, who knows.

We are coming up for two years now post procedure and really there isn't any major difference and what we do notice may well have happened anyway due to his age. (ED)

Yes, there is the possibility that at some stage in the future he may develop bowel cancer, but the NOW is real and he is still with me and still driving me mad!

The tiredness will fade. After all, it may not be the full monty as far as surgery is concerned, but it is still an invasion which is going to have ongoing side effects for a while - certainly while the seeds are at their strongest.

It will get better though (unless he is very unlucky like sjtb's husband). Having said that, John does seem to get tired moire easily these days but then he is 75 and no spring chicken.

There are a number of men on here having had the seed brachytherapy but off the top of my head (and following a large glass of post holiday wine !!) the only other one I can currently think of is kennt, so you could check his profile too

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails