I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Camera for stomach investigation

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 05:31
Hi All. hubby has been given the option to have a camera to invesigate what is causing discomfort.

He has been having discomfort at the top of his stomach just under the centre of the ribs. He has been on HT for 3 yes then 4 month break now perk on zoladex with casadex also. We are not sure if the casadex is causing the bloating and had wind or m

not.

Also had scared of anything that may find. He's anyone has similar issues.

He is diabetic but not fantastic at taking care of his diet but getting better at doing so.

The next question is sedation or no sedation. He is worried he will gag somewhat had nervous obviously and was someone who didn't initially cope well when diagnosed.

Thanks Debbie

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 20:05
Debbie

I have had all the oscopies and the one down the throat was the most uncomfortable. If I had another gastro endoscopy I would go for sedation. Just my thoughts if you are calm the staff are not going to be rushing things.

Thanks chris

Edited by member 15 Mar 2016 at 20:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 20:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Debbie

I have had all the oscopies and the one down the throat was the most uncomfortable. If I had another gastro endoscopy I would go for sedation. Just my thoughts if you are calm the staff are not going to be rushing things.

Thanks chris

I've had all the 'oscopies' ( both ends )  and my experience mirrors  Chris's comments.... 

I just had a spray down the throat for my Gastro...... I was gagging the whole time... always said if I ever have another I will have sedation instead..

Luther

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 20:05
Debbie

Thanks chris

Edited by member 15 Mar 2016 at 20:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 20:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Debbie

Thanks chris

I've had all the 'oscopies' ( both ends )  and my experience mirrors  Chris's comments.... 

I just had a spray down the throat for my Gastro...... I was gagging the whole time... always said if I ever have another I will have sedation instead..

Luther

User
Posted 15 Mar 2016 at 22:50

Hi Debbie
Having undergone a lot of treatments recently under mental duress , you must advise them of hubbies worries and ensure they listen. I've never had this procedure ( could anything really be worse than cystoscopy ) , but I mirror the above. I know at least four people who have had it who wished they'd had full sedation.
Best of luck
Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2016 at 07:00

I have had stomach discomfort on and off for some years so last year I had an endoscopy. We are all different but I found it quite bearable. They put a bit of spray at the back of my mouth. The most difficult part which actually wasn't difficult was 'swallowing' the camera, after that I felt nothing.
I had a hiatus hernia. This is just below the rib cage were you describe so maybe this is your husband's problem which in the grand scheme of things isn't that serious.

Bri

User
Posted 16 Mar 2016 at 13:31
Debbie

Hi, love that avatar. If your OH does turn out to have a hernia or acid reflux or similar those conditions can actually make snoring worse. Mainly because they leave a person uncomfortable and restless with a tendency to try and settle on their back. All of those can make snoring louder and last for longer.

As for the endoscopy, I had one years ago due to unexpained bleeding in the stomach. I chose not to have sedation as I wanted to drive myself to and from the appointment. The worst part for me was the local anaesthetic spray which tasted disgusting it was a really strong banana flavour, the procedure itself was trouble free but I guess a lot depends on the skill of the person doing it.

I was a little concerned when 15 mins or so later I was asked to drink a small cup of water, in the words of the nurse "slowly to start with just in case it goes down the wrong tube" ...eeek I think the nurse had a wicked sense of humour. They do this just to make sure there has not been any tear or damage to the windpipe which of course runs right alongside the food and drink version! It is just precautionary before they let you go home.

My problem was minor and easily treated.

I hope everything goes well and wish you all the best

xx

Mo

Edited by member 16 Mar 2016 at 13:32  | Reason: Not specified