I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After effects of template biopsy- advice required

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 09:03
Hi my OH underwent this about 7 weeks ago and experienced an infection somewhere that was hard to shift. Last week he felt fine but this week feels ill again with what he calls creeping skin. He has also had some blood in urine- not fresh but with a few small old clots. I wondered if the blood could be related to him starting to do PF exercises in preparation for surgery a few weeks?

We will try to speak to his cancer liaison nurse today, who is usually utterly useless and impossible to get hold of

Thanks

Edited by member 22 Mar 2016 at 11:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 10:12

Hi B,

I had a template biopsy in November 2014, followed up by HDR Brachytherapy in February 2015, apart from the messing about with radioactive rods the two procedures are essentially the same, a matrix of needles shoved into the prostate from below.

Initially I had few noticeable side effects.

However by July-August of 2015 I had a distinct tenderness in the nether regions, blood in the urine, and was running a fever.

Tests at my GP's surgery for Urinary Tract Infection proved negative, although did confirm blood in urine.

My consultant diagnosed an infection of the prostate which seemed to clear up with a 6 week course of antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin).

About the same time I started to get burning sensation when urinating, radiation cystitis was diagnosed and cleared up with lots of fresh cranberries.

I have felt fine since Christmas, and haven't noticed any blood clots in my urine since November, however last week a test at my GP's confirmed that I still have blood in the urine, which is over a year since template biopsy and brachytherapy.

I am off to see Consultant next month, I will let you know if he considers this to be a bad sign?

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2016 at 10:39
Thanks. OH had many cores taken from prostate and was on antibiotics for over 3 weeks so maybe he has resurgence of prostate infection as no symptoms of UTI

Does anyone know if having a prostate infection might jeopardise the prostatectomy?

Thanks