Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brown Blood in urine

User
Posted 27 Mar 2016 at 18:06
Can anybody help please?

In brief my OH was diagnosed in December 2011 with T3b N1 M0 PCa.

He wa treated with hormone therapy, 37 fractions of RT and was on the Stampede trial for 2 years.

All going okay, finished HT last summer.

Today he has just passed quite a lot of browny colored blood in urine?

Does anyone know what could cause this as obviously we are worried now and being Easter Sunday, a couple of days until we can get medical advice?

Thank you

Alison

User
Posted 27 Mar 2016 at 22:34
Sorry I don't know the answer Alison, I know this must be a concern. I'm bumping this up in case someone who has had RT is around and can answer.
User
Posted 28 Mar 2016 at 01:29

One of the problems is that once prostate cancer has been diagnosed, we tend to assume everything else that ever happens is somehow related. It might be that this blood is to do with the radiotherapy but if none of that had happened you would probably have assumed it was a urine infection and made a GP appointment.

Will he drink water and /or cranberry juice? If so, get him drinking to flush the system (if he is still peeing blood it might be a good idea to just bottle some of it in a sample tube or something first) and then either phone your local GP out of hours service or phone the practice on Tuesday morning for an appointment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Mar 2016 at 10:23
Thankyou for the bump up Devonmaid and Lyn for the advice.

Lyn you are spot on, and the exact same advice that we got from the hospital nurse when I spoke to her last night.

Could be a one off, but being the worriers that we are will arrange appointments this week to check matters out further.

Thanks again Lyn much appreciated xx

Alison

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 20:49

Hi Alison,

I have been told that the blood that I had in my pee recently was most likely due to late effects of my radiotherapy in Oct 2014.

I was quite surprised because it was the first time the bladder had caused any problems as a result of my treatment, it had always been the bowel that had seemed to be effected.

Hopefully, for your husband, it will turn out to be a side effect, and not anything more serious.

Worth checking out though.

Steve

User
Posted 04 Apr 2016 at 17:56
For anyone with same problem, my OH has USS and flexible cystoscopy today which confirmed that it was caused by radiation treatment previously had for PCa.

Always worth checking out any blood in urine though for peace of mind.

Hopefully we will sleep better tonight.

Thank you Lyn and Steve for your support.

Alison

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 01:50
Hi Alison,

I'm really pleased that it wasn't anything more serious.

Keep in touch.

Steve x

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 07:33

good to read its just a late effect

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Mar 2016 at 22:34
Sorry I don't know the answer Alison, I know this must be a concern. I'm bumping this up in case someone who has had RT is around and can answer.
User
Posted 28 Mar 2016 at 01:29

One of the problems is that once prostate cancer has been diagnosed, we tend to assume everything else that ever happens is somehow related. It might be that this blood is to do with the radiotherapy but if none of that had happened you would probably have assumed it was a urine infection and made a GP appointment.

Will he drink water and /or cranberry juice? If so, get him drinking to flush the system (if he is still peeing blood it might be a good idea to just bottle some of it in a sample tube or something first) and then either phone your local GP out of hours service or phone the practice on Tuesday morning for an appointment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Mar 2016 at 10:23
Thankyou for the bump up Devonmaid and Lyn for the advice.

Lyn you are spot on, and the exact same advice that we got from the hospital nurse when I spoke to her last night.

Could be a one off, but being the worriers that we are will arrange appointments this week to check matters out further.

Thanks again Lyn much appreciated xx

Alison

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 17:29
Spoke to Consultant today who again confirmed what Lyn said. Could be late side effect of radiotherapy ( can occur many years later) but to be sure has booked USS and camera to bladder for next week.

Just thought I would update the post for anyone else in same position.

Alison

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 20:49

Hi Alison,

I have been told that the blood that I had in my pee recently was most likely due to late effects of my radiotherapy in Oct 2014.

I was quite surprised because it was the first time the bladder had caused any problems as a result of my treatment, it had always been the bowel that had seemed to be effected.

Hopefully, for your husband, it will turn out to be a side effect, and not anything more serious.

Worth checking out though.

Steve

User
Posted 04 Apr 2016 at 17:56
For anyone with same problem, my OH has USS and flexible cystoscopy today which confirmed that it was caused by radiation treatment previously had for PCa.

Always worth checking out any blood in urine though for peace of mind.

Hopefully we will sleep better tonight.

Thank you Lyn and Steve for your support.

Alison

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 01:50
Hi Alison,

I'm really pleased that it wasn't anything more serious.

Keep in touch.

Steve x

User
Posted 07 Apr 2016 at 07:33

good to read its just a late effect

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'