Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Member!

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 12:48

hi;

my Husband had a psa of 5.8, (fit healthy no symptoms, non smoker etc)was sent for MRI scan - got a letter on Friday with weird wording saying - "I am sad to say the MRI is suspicious that there may well be prostate cancer present") then a sentence saying about a biopsy and if we were uncertain about the need for biopsy then to make an appointment to discuss it with the Doctor……..

Easter long weekend - nerves shredded - seeing Doctor tomorrow to see what the MRI showed…… then probably biopsy. No mention of where the suspicious are was, what size, was it contained etc.

Anyway - neither of us sleeping and thought i would post something on the community as my brain is going into overdrive thinking all sorts of things.

Thanks for being there!

J

User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 17:18
Hi Jenny,

Seems very impersonal and cold to send a letter with such vague and scary outcomes. I know somstimes they do an MRI scan before a biopsy but for me and others if it is suspected that there is something dodgy with the prostate then it's a biopsy then an MRI scan and bone scan.

I saw a urologist after my biopsy who gave me the news and left me to discuss things with a urology nurse. A much more supportive way of breaking bad news.

I hope all goes well tomorrow. I'm sure you will have lots of questions when you see the doctor but I would suggest you or your other half will be in a bit of a panic so write them down so you don't forget anything.

The support phone line on this site are so helpful so please ring them if you have any questions or points of clarification.

All the best for tomorrow.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 29 Mar 2016 at 17:44

What a stupid, thoughtless and impersonal way of imparting the possibiity of distressing news. We have all been upset, being told we have cancer but for the majority of us, it was done in a kinder, more informative manner and gave us a chance to ask questions and also to be given a bit of support Well, you are seeing the doctor tomorrow (is that your GP or a hospital consultant by the way?).Best to do as Paul advises and take a notebook and pen. Do you have a Gleason score yet? as that helps determine the stage of the (possible) cancer and therefore treatment plans. PSA does not tell anyone they have cancer, it just indicates that something isn't quite right and the MRI in your case is showing "suspicious" areas which will be best looked at to make sure so a biopsy is probably what will be suggested. Not a particularly nice thing to have done but needs must if you want to know. Just out of curiosity, if your other half has no symptoms how was the PSA arranged. Was it just the result of a general health check? You'll find a lovely lot of people on here, men and their wives/partners (of which I am one). We offer support and a listening ear because we really know what it all feels like. You say you were both unable to sleep and that isn't at all unusual. Your world has been turned upside down, maybe needlessly if the suspicious areas turn out to be something else. There is something on here called The Toolkit, which is available from PUBLICATIONS.You can either download it or order a copy from one of the nurses. It might help if you glance through it tonight so that you get a better picture of what they will be talking about. It's good to go to the meeting together as there will be a lot of information being thrown at you and one person would have trouble taking it all in. PSA of 5.8 is not massively high, we have members with PSA in the 100s and a couple in the 1000s who with treatment have lived full lives so please don't despair at this stage. Keep us informed and anything at all you want to ask please do Good luck tomorrow. All the bestSandra

Edited by member 29 Mar 2016 at 17:46  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails