Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brachytherapy - Lifestyle & Work Impact

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 12:54

Hi All,

I'm 41 and was diagnosed with PCa in January (gleason score of 6) and I've been on AS for a short time but as my PSA is steadily rising (now 6.5) I've decided to get treatment. I've asked to be referred for brachytherapy and am now waiting for an appointment to come through. I've read through all the toolkit information but I was wondering what impact I should expect from the treatment. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has had this treatment in terms of what impact it has had on their lifestyle and ability to work.

Thanks,

Andrew.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 13:37

Hi Andrew

I had Brachytherapy back in January 2015 and apart from some annoying side effects that lasted a couple of months, everything has worked out just fine. Unfortunately I suffered from radiation cystitis which held back my progress somewhat, but once that settled down I was fine, and still am. I was very unlucky as only around 10% of men suffer with that.  No massive lifestyle changes at all, only minor alterations like cutting out caffeine and drinking wine when we go out instead of a couple of pints. Thankfully I have suffered no continence problems or ED problems. 

I run a mobile karaoke/DJ service and did put that on hold for a while as a precaution but I picked that up again once the cystitis had cleared up. I would say that you could easily return to work within a month of treatment, depending on the type of work you do. I do know of some men who have returned after a couple of weeks. Of course everyone is different so there is no hard & fast rule on these things. 

Good luck in your treatment and I am sure all will be fine.

Alan

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 09:46

Hello Andrew,

I had HDR Brachytherapy in August 2014, followed up by 15 sessions of  radiotherapy. Before the Brachytherapy I was on Bicalutamide for 3 months, and I am still on Bicalutamide for a few more weeks.

Two days after the Brachytherapy I felt ok and overdid it a bit, but I was soon bored and started work again (desk based) and after a week was back to what I felt was normal. So for me the Brachytherapy itself wasn't the hard part.

The Bicalutamide has side effects and I have had some, but not as bad as I think some have them. Gynaecomastia is managed by Tamoxifen, and weight gain by diet. Overall I gained about 4 kilos, but now it is warmer that is coming back down.

I only had a couple of hot flushes, my body hair has largely disappeared in the past 6 months, though I have more and darker hair on my head. I am getting more tired at present but that is a recent thing and may be related to work etc.

Now it is warmer I will do more walking, last summer I was walking 10 to 15 miles a day.

The radiotherapy was a drag, having to go in to the clinic every weekday. However I didn't suffer from it as much as the chap who had his appointment after me, he struggled.

Along the way I have had a couple of UTIs, they were resolved with the usual antibiotics. More recently some blood in my urine and pain on urination. My Urologist prescribed Avodart (Dutasteride) and that sorted those out in a couple of weeks. As part of that I had a cystoscopy and apparently I have some radiation scarring.

I have been taking Tamsulosin and am working on reducing that progressively. Initially on the days I didn't take it, it was a bit of a struggle and I get the occasional "bad day" but nothing drastic. I make cranberry juice and drink a cup of that every morning and that seems to help. I haven't had a UTI since doing that (the supermarket cranberry juice is a waste of time).

So overall I think I have had a relatively easy time of it compared to others. Every cancer and every patient is unique so no one can tell you now what it will be like for you, only what it has been like for Alan and Pierre.

The big differences I think you can make are to get fitter before the procedure, read up and be prepared, make sure your loved ones are aware of what the changes might be.

I hope it goes well for you

Regards

Pierre

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 10:37
Hello. My other half had brachy in Jan 2015. He also suffered bad side effects. Radiation induced cystitis and prostatitis. He is a farmer and paid someone to come in for 2 days immediately after treatment. But after that he continued to work a normal day. Daylight hours.(so shorter day in Jan which is why he chose Jan for treatment) He was told not to lift for a week, so I helped him with lifting. He had a lot of bladder problems needing the toilet a lot, but as he works outside on his own it wasn't a problem. I think if he'd worked where there were no toilets it may have been a problem. We have 2 friends that had brachytherapy, they had no side effects whatsoever.

Good luck and all the best.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2016 at 21:41

Hi Andrew C

I had a scan Feb 2015 followed by a needle biopsy March 2015 that indicated Gleason 3+4 T2 N0 Mo.

I had low dose brachytherapy Aug 2015 ( 88 seeds ) and am now 8 months post op.

For those eligible ( contained within prostrate , able to empty bladder , prostrate size ) this procedure I would recommend.

In terms of life style changes I have had none. I play a lot of tennis and started playing again very soon after treatment

I went in for the op in.the morning and came out the following morning not feeling too much had happened. I have had no leakage , bowel problems but peeing was slow- I just take my time.

Regards

Banjoman

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Apr 2016 at 13:37

Hi Andrew

I had Brachytherapy back in January 2015 and apart from some annoying side effects that lasted a couple of months, everything has worked out just fine. Unfortunately I suffered from radiation cystitis which held back my progress somewhat, but once that settled down I was fine, and still am. I was very unlucky as only around 10% of men suffer with that.  No massive lifestyle changes at all, only minor alterations like cutting out caffeine and drinking wine when we go out instead of a couple of pints. Thankfully I have suffered no continence problems or ED problems. 

I run a mobile karaoke/DJ service and did put that on hold for a while as a precaution but I picked that up again once the cystitis had cleared up. I would say that you could easily return to work within a month of treatment, depending on the type of work you do. I do know of some men who have returned after a couple of weeks. Of course everyone is different so there is no hard & fast rule on these things. 

Good luck in your treatment and I am sure all will be fine.

Alan

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 09:46

Hello Andrew,

I had HDR Brachytherapy in August 2014, followed up by 15 sessions of  radiotherapy. Before the Brachytherapy I was on Bicalutamide for 3 months, and I am still on Bicalutamide for a few more weeks.

Two days after the Brachytherapy I felt ok and overdid it a bit, but I was soon bored and started work again (desk based) and after a week was back to what I felt was normal. So for me the Brachytherapy itself wasn't the hard part.

The Bicalutamide has side effects and I have had some, but not as bad as I think some have them. Gynaecomastia is managed by Tamoxifen, and weight gain by diet. Overall I gained about 4 kilos, but now it is warmer that is coming back down.

I only had a couple of hot flushes, my body hair has largely disappeared in the past 6 months, though I have more and darker hair on my head. I am getting more tired at present but that is a recent thing and may be related to work etc.

Now it is warmer I will do more walking, last summer I was walking 10 to 15 miles a day.

The radiotherapy was a drag, having to go in to the clinic every weekday. However I didn't suffer from it as much as the chap who had his appointment after me, he struggled.

Along the way I have had a couple of UTIs, they were resolved with the usual antibiotics. More recently some blood in my urine and pain on urination. My Urologist prescribed Avodart (Dutasteride) and that sorted those out in a couple of weeks. As part of that I had a cystoscopy and apparently I have some radiation scarring.

I have been taking Tamsulosin and am working on reducing that progressively. Initially on the days I didn't take it, it was a bit of a struggle and I get the occasional "bad day" but nothing drastic. I make cranberry juice and drink a cup of that every morning and that seems to help. I haven't had a UTI since doing that (the supermarket cranberry juice is a waste of time).

So overall I think I have had a relatively easy time of it compared to others. Every cancer and every patient is unique so no one can tell you now what it will be like for you, only what it has been like for Alan and Pierre.

The big differences I think you can make are to get fitter before the procedure, read up and be prepared, make sure your loved ones are aware of what the changes might be.

I hope it goes well for you

Regards

Pierre

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 10:37
Hello. My other half had brachy in Jan 2015. He also suffered bad side effects. Radiation induced cystitis and prostatitis. He is a farmer and paid someone to come in for 2 days immediately after treatment. But after that he continued to work a normal day. Daylight hours.(so shorter day in Jan which is why he chose Jan for treatment) He was told not to lift for a week, so I helped him with lifting. He had a lot of bladder problems needing the toilet a lot, but as he works outside on his own it wasn't a problem. I think if he'd worked where there were no toilets it may have been a problem. We have 2 friends that had brachytherapy, they had no side effects whatsoever.

Good luck and all the best.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2016 at 21:41

Hi Andrew C

I had a scan Feb 2015 followed by a needle biopsy March 2015 that indicated Gleason 3+4 T2 N0 Mo.

I had low dose brachytherapy Aug 2015 ( 88 seeds ) and am now 8 months post op.

For those eligible ( contained within prostrate , able to empty bladder , prostrate size ) this procedure I would recommend.

In terms of life style changes I have had none. I play a lot of tennis and started playing again very soon after treatment

I went in for the op in.the morning and came out the following morning not feeling too much had happened. I have had no leakage , bowel problems but peeing was slow- I just take my time.

Regards

Banjoman