I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The Incredible Journey !

User
Posted 15 Apr 2016 at 21:46
Hi Everyone, so we're new to this forum but feel the need to share now. Long story short, Age 63, diagnosed APC 12/14 with added end stage kidney failure..who knew?! Hospitalised for 1 week , discharged with catheter in place. So after a very long fight of 4 months ..finally they removed the catheter and did a Turps Op, which has been successful thank God! Zoladex implant 3 monthly, this worked for just over 12 months then PSA was rising, so put into Biclutamide, but was then told to have 5 doses of radiotherapy..done and no nasty effects! Also I am to have 10 chemo sessions of Docetaxel, I gave done 2 and feel fantastic! No pain anymore in my leg, I walked 5.5 kms the other day and I'm being advised not to swim?????? I have bone mets in my lower spine too .... So all very confusing as I want to stay fit and feel fit......

Edited by member 16 Apr 2016 at 09:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 19:57

Welcome, Pete.
Well done for posting: it sounds like you have been wondering whether to. I hope you find the community here useful.
You have been particularly unlucky! Straight in at the deep end (with apologies for the swimming metaphor).
I am pleased to hear that you feel and want to be fit.

I hope you and Jackie are coping OK.
Keep us updated.
Best wishes,

Henry

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 22:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi, yes sorry for the confusion, 12/14 is the date so December 2014! We are definitely in the UK and despite the sleet this morning in Worcestershire I managed a little badminton knock about with my 7 year old Grandson this afternoon . Seeing my Onc. on Thursday before chemo Friday and am going to request he fully explain my latest MRI scan report that I had on Thursday last..that should be fun! Gotta keep smiling😁😁😁😁😁 ps cheers Henry

Well done Pete .... always best to play badminton with 7 year olds or younger I find. Gives me a chance of winning.

dl

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 12:16

Hi both,
What country are you in? The 12/14 doesn't fit with any UK staging that I can think of so I am not sure what you are referring to? The 5 sessions of RT was presumably to reduce the side effects of bone mets?

Generally, swimming is advised for men with advanced PCa, especially known to help combat fatigue from the hormone therapy while minimising risk to compromised bones. But maybe you were advised not to swim during the chemo .... too many bugs and bacteria?

At the chemo suite, have you been given the tip about freezing chunks of fresh pineapple to suck during infusions? It helps reduce the sore mouth / ulcers / horrible metallic taste side effects. Warning though - some people mustn't eat too much pineapple :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 13:42

Think the 12/14 must refer to the date ie. December 2014
Richard

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 14:16

:-0

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 17:38
Soren you are a hoot 12/14 πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
BFN
JulieX
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 19:57

Welcome, Pete.
Well done for posting: it sounds like you have been wondering whether to. I hope you find the community here useful.
You have been particularly unlucky! Straight in at the deep end (with apologies for the swimming metaphor).
I am pleased to hear that you feel and want to be fit.

I hope you and Jackie are coping OK.
Keep us updated.
Best wishes,

Henry

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 20:51
Hi, yes sorry for the confusion, 12/14 is the date so December 2014! We are definitely in the UK and despite the sleet this morning in Worcestershire I managed a little badminton knock about with my 7 year old Grandson this afternoon . Seeing my Onc. on Thursday before chemo Friday and am going to request he fully explain my latest MRI scan report that I had on Thursday last..that should be fun! Gotta keep smiling😁😁😁😁😁 ps cheers Henry
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 22:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Well done Pete .... always best to play badminton with 7 year olds or younger I find. Gives me a chance of winning.

dl

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 20:49
Well the MRI scan shows no significant change in 15 months so very chuffed about that! Psa has fallen back to 47 so very chuffed about that too! Have had Docetaxel chemo session no.3 today and am hoping I cope as well as the last two, apparently my blood work was Very Good so chuffed about that as well ! Was also shown my bone scan which we've never seen before, not so chuffed about this but could be a whole lot worse. Probably won't be swimming the channel or running a marathon this weekend , will just have to continue to take on my Grandsons at badminton !