I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment Advice ?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2016 at 18:04

Hi,  I'm Steve aged 61.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I've recently been diagnosed with early stage PC. PSA 6.2, Gleason grade 6 ( 3+3 ). My biopsy revealed 3 positive out of 16.                                                               I'm due to have an MRI scan in the next few weeks.                                                                                                                                                                                         I need some guidance as to what treatment to consider.

I'm leaning towards Active Surveillance.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Any advice please ?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2016 at 19:07

Hi Pathfinder,
Probably a bit early to be deciding on treatment - better to wait for all your tests to be completed and then see what is what. In the meantime though, you could order the toolkit from the charity which explains the different treatments and their pros & cons. Some men do very well on active surveillance (AS) while others find it too stressful. Some start on AS and use it just for a few months or a year rather than rush into a treatment decision feeling unsure.

In your case, you might not actually know that AS is going to be an option until you have had the scan results.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Apr 2016 at 19:10

The toolkit offers all the basic advice and it's good to read up on it all to be honest. Other publications can be found which are more specific. Either phone the nurses on the free phone number , or navigate off the PCUK homepage to the publications section. From there you can read , download or indeed order