Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

More evidence supporting aspirin

User
Posted 21 Apr 2016 at 19:46

Hi Guys,

In today's Telegraph and Independent there is yet another news item about the benefits of taking a daily 75mg aspirin:

“Taking aspirin might help make people a fifth more likely to survive cancer, new research has shown.

Scientists made the discovery after looking through a huge number of studies that looked at bowel, breast and prostate cancers.

Taking a low-dose medication alongside normal treatment appears to reduce the likelihood of dying from cancer by 15 per cent to 20 per cent, according to the new study.

Professor Peter Elwood, from the University of Cardiff, who led the research published in the journal Public Library of Science ONE, said: "There is a growing body of evidence that taking aspirin is of significant benefit in reducing some cancers…”

You can read the full article at

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/cancer-patients-may-have-more-chance-of-survival-if-they-take-a-low-dose-of-aspirin-study-finds-a6994051.html

:)

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 16:07
Trevor has been taking75grm dose of aspirin daily since his first heart attack and this was over 10 years ago. So way before his PCa diagnosis I have no idea if it has helped on our cancer journey but we will be having our 4 year Cancerversary in May and with a starting PSA of 12,940 to still be around 4 years later is pretty impressive.

So maybe it is the Aspirin and not the Cumin that is working.🤔

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 18:49

Alison, not all GP's are aware of the benefits that Asprin is supposed to have for cancer cell re growth so some will support the idea and others will not. The whole idea of the "add Asprin" is to scientifically prove one way or the other that Asprin will help prevent cancer cell regrowth.

Cheers Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 21:08

Hi Chris/Woody

Yes - the 'add asprin' trial looks interesting, I'm just impatient to wait the 5 years for the results!

Aren't we all.

Alison

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 23:17

Hi,

Back in November 2014, two weeks after completing radiotherapy, I suffered a heart attack. 

As it was only five months after being diagnosed with my Prostate Cancer, I was feeling really unlucky that suddenly, I was facing two possible life threatening illnesses, but maybe, if this research is correct, having the heart attack could have saved my life.

When I left hospital, after the heart attack, I was told that I would have to take Aspirin (75mg) daily for the rest of my life to help prevent another attack.

So, Good News.  Mind you, if I do have another heart attack, it could kill me, so maybe not.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 09:42
Hi Chris/Woody

I completely agree with you.

My OH is on the Stampede trial and the benefits of the extra monitoring have been very reassuring.

We are just unsure whether to start taking aspirin ( off our own backs) as our GP/Onco have been vague. That is why I am interested to hear opinions, both for my OH and my own health.

If it does no harm, and possibly benefits, sounds like a good idea.

Alison

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 13:44

Hi Alison,

I had mentioned aspirin once or twice to my GP and it was only when I took her a press cutting in that she agreed it was a good idea.

Some months later I saw another GP (mine is a group practice) when I was thinking about cutting down tablets, she was quite concerned and recommended that I stay on the aspirin.  It seems that there is very little risk in starting them, but once your body is used to a daily dose it can upset the blood pressure etc if you stop them.

So seeing as how we are all on lots of different medication, I would always recommend talking it over with GP before starting daily aspirin.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Apr 2016 at 21:40

Dave, this article was in the Daily Mirror today as well, I was going to show my oncologist next week as I am on the "add asprin trials " that have just started in January. It is for five years and involves taking a daily pill of 100mgs,300mgs or a palacibo. This is being offered to cancer patients in early stages that have just completed RT that have breast cancer, prostate cancer, colonl/rectum cancer and stomach/ oesophageal cancer. A total of 11,000 patients are needed to trial over Five years.

There was no reference to this trial in the article so it seems that the reporters are doing a bit of selective reporting as usual.

Shame they couldn't put all the facts in.
Regards Chris/Woody

Edited by member 21 Apr 2016 at 21:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2016 at 21:40
Hi Dave,

I read the article and actually I decided to start taking a daily aspirin about a month ago. I couldn't take part in the trial for aspirin for PCa research as I have T3A and was not eligible due to spread.

However I conceded defeat over high cholesterol last year ( genetic ) after trying to alter my diet and went onto statins - lowest dose. My decision to concede was partly influenced by the reports then circulating that statins can assist PCa patients. One report suggests that if on HT then it took longer for the cancer to become hormone resistant in the men who were taking statins at the same time than in those who weren't ( from PCUK website - read in detail if interested) , it does mention that the research was on men already on statins. I was not on statins when I started HT , so I may not have gained any benefit.

The list of daily tablets just keeps on growing .....

John

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 12:00

Hi Dave I started taking a 75 mg aspirin about 2 months ago mentioned this at hospital appointment and they did raise no objection to it. yours Andy

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 15:37
I asked our GP about this, but he seemed unclear as to its benefit.

It would be good to hear what other professionals think on this point.

Can it do any harm? I have read about the increased stomach ulcer problems that may occur.

Could it be beneficial to the general public as well as those recovering from cancer?

Alison

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 18:49

Alison, not all GP's are aware of the benefits that Asprin is supposed to have for cancer cell re growth so some will support the idea and others will not. The whole idea of the "add Asprin" is to scientifically prove one way or the other that Asprin will help prevent cancer cell regrowth.

Cheers Chris/Woody

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 18:56
You have to take aspirin with Stillbestrol so hubby has been taking it for two and a half years, seems to be working wonders!
User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 21:08

Hi Chris/Woody

Yes - the 'add asprin' trial looks interesting, I'm just impatient to wait the 5 years for the results!

Aren't we all.

Alison

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 21:52

Alison, taking part in the trials is my way of giving something back as I have benefited so far from other people undertaking trials and treatments change because of them. The plus side of it is that if for any reason there is a problem with PCa recurring it will be spotted and fast tracked to be dealt with. My view is that I could do this or just sit back and wait and see if PCa ever comes back, either way it is wait and see, so I feel that if the results are helpful at the end of five years it is good for others.

It is all a waiting game is it not?

Some people are intolerant to Asprin and yes it can cause ulcers in some but to me the benefits, even without the trial results, are worth it

Cheers Chris/Woody

User
Posted 22 Apr 2016 at 23:17

Hi,

Back in November 2014, two weeks after completing radiotherapy, I suffered a heart attack. 

As it was only five months after being diagnosed with my Prostate Cancer, I was feeling really unlucky that suddenly, I was facing two possible life threatening illnesses, but maybe, if this research is correct, having the heart attack could have saved my life.

When I left hospital, after the heart attack, I was told that I would have to take Aspirin (75mg) daily for the rest of my life to help prevent another attack.

So, Good News.  Mind you, if I do have another heart attack, it could kill me, so maybe not.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 09:42
Hi Chris/Woody

I completely agree with you.

My OH is on the Stampede trial and the benefits of the extra monitoring have been very reassuring.

We are just unsure whether to start taking aspirin ( off our own backs) as our GP/Onco have been vague. That is why I am interested to hear opinions, both for my OH and my own health.

If it does no harm, and possibly benefits, sounds like a good idea.

Alison

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 13:44

Hi Alison,

I had mentioned aspirin once or twice to my GP and it was only when I took her a press cutting in that she agreed it was a good idea.

Some months later I saw another GP (mine is a group practice) when I was thinking about cutting down tablets, she was quite concerned and recommended that I stay on the aspirin.  It seems that there is very little risk in starting them, but once your body is used to a daily dose it can upset the blood pressure etc if you stop them.

So seeing as how we are all on lots of different medication, I would always recommend talking it over with GP before starting daily aspirin.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 16:07
Trevor has been taking75grm dose of aspirin daily since his first heart attack and this was over 10 years ago. So way before his PCa diagnosis I have no idea if it has helped on our cancer journey but we will be having our 4 year Cancerversary in May and with a starting PSA of 12,940 to still be around 4 years later is pretty impressive.

So maybe it is the Aspirin and not the Cumin that is working.🤔

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON