Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment for anal soreness during EBRT

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 10:32

Hi

Next Tuesday - 26th April - I start 20 sessions of EBRT - this being the hypofractionated dose painting system that has only recently come out of clinical trials.

As many will know, at the treatment centre you have to do a self administered enema before each treatment. I have read that a lot of people can experience soreness in the anal area after a few times of doing this. Is there any specific "over the counter" cream I can buy in advance? 

Any advice appreciated.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 19:25

Our family have always stood by Sudocrem available at any supermarket. It's for nappy rash , eczema , most skin problems. If I have a sore ass I slap it on and I'm sorted in 2 days. It's great for baby skin. Cracked cuticles ?? Slap it on at bedtime and they'll be cured by the morning. My 17 yr old step daughter slaps it on her face spots at night and sleeps with it on. Yes it's white and it's scented but it is superb. As with all cream it states not for internal use , but a good dollop on your anus rubbed in works great. It never stings. I hope maybe you can try it. Forgive me if it is not recommended etc but we love it !!

PS. Aqueous creams are rarely medicated so whilst they moisturise , they don't cure the problem. Sudocrem does !!

Edited by member 24 Apr 2016 at 19:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 21:40

Chris and Kevan, I have Been a big fan of sudacrem for dozens of years and seem to be the butt of family and friends jokes when I suggest a use for it. They know that whatever the problem I will suggest using it, I actually believe it is a miracle lotion that is soft enough and mild enough to put on a babies bum yet a be all and end all solution to a whole host of minor complaints.

I have piles and use it whenever they play up and as Chris J says by the morning they have been well and truly soothed.

If I get a sweat rash anywhere I put it on with a sprinkle of Talc as well.

I get the Micky taken all the time but I know how good it is so I am with you on this one ChrisJ

Get it out in the open, do not stay in the closet, join the ranks of the followers, be bold, be brave, be a man.

Chris /Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

Edited by member 24 Apr 2016 at 21:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 13:34
Hi Pete

The hospital where I had RT told us to use aqueous cream this worked well for me, but I'm not sure if other hospitals recommend it. It's even available in the pound shops

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 18:31

I don't believe that my soreness was called by the enemas themselves, but the resultant 'velocity' for want of a better word.

It's ironic that the softer the stool, like a bout of Diarrhoea  the more soreness can occur.

I don't know the answer but I would avoid any hard-to-digest items like nuts or seeds (which ironically were recommended by the hospital as part of the RT diet regime)

Dave

XXXX

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 20:55
Being due to start salvage RT on the 9th May I am grateful that this topic was raised as the info could be helpful.

I appreciate that if you have the problem it is no laughing matter but when I read Chris' s reply I was crying laughing at the sheer enthusiasm of his response. Chris you should be a copywriter for Sudacrem and I shall be dashing out tomorrow to buy a pot in readiness.

It's amazing what helpful little gems crop up on this site.

Thanks all.

Kevan

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 13:20
Pete,

I had none of the problems you refer to at all during my 37 fractions. The centre prescribed loperamide and normacol which worked well for me. Talking to other patients we soon realised that we each had different problems and medications to assist.

My biggest problem was hydration levels . Towards the end of RT I had many bladder scans.

Good luck.

John

(Ps I'm not a fan of Sudacrem. Gave me more hassle than benefit when I've used it. )

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 15:18

I had a small problem with soreness and my treating hospital prescribed Bepanthen which is also used for nappy rash, is cheap and readily available. I was told to apply it very thinly, dabbing it on with a soft tissue. It did the job for me though I suffered constipation at the time. It might not be so suitable if you have 'the runs', but babies poo is usually thin come to think of it.

Edited by member 25 Apr 2016 at 23:58  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 17:25
Be careful which soap you are using on the area, our nurses recommended Dove only.

ATB

Alison

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 19:47

Many years ago Proctosedyl Suppositories worked great for me.

Alan

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 19:51

Hi Pete

I had that problem but not a first and I only had to use them for the first 5 treatments, they gave me some cream, I was treated at the Rosemere Centre Preston but I'm sure they will be the same. Can't help with the Radiotherapy I was on the 37 treatments with no problems apart from tiredness towards the end, I'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck with everything.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:59
Peter

Genuine thanks for raising this issue as I am now better prepared for my EBRT which starts on 10th May.

Went to Oxford for scan and tattoos yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Very best wishes for a successful treatment.

Kind regards,

Kevan

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:32

On the sudacrem business, the radiographers said that they would give me a cream if I got the soreness. They also strongly recommended Simple or Johnson's baby soap for washing. I said I often used Sanex unscented shower gel but they said that some supposedly scent free creams and soaps contained metallic trace elements.

I will, of course, comply. Spare tub of sudacrem for sale lol!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 13:34
Hi Pete

The hospital where I had RT told us to use aqueous cream this worked well for me, but I'm not sure if other hospitals recommend it. It's even available in the pound shops

Arthur

User
Posted 23 Apr 2016 at 22:28

Pete,

You may require something different because not all hospitals require an enema as a prerequisite which may well exacerbate soreness. In the circumstances, I would ask the radiographers what they recommend.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 01:25

That's probably why they are giving him enemas to self-administer!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 18:31

I don't believe that my soreness was called by the enemas themselves, but the resultant 'velocity' for want of a better word.

It's ironic that the softer the stool, like a bout of Diarrhoea  the more soreness can occur.

I don't know the answer but I would avoid any hard-to-digest items like nuts or seeds (which ironically were recommended by the hospital as part of the RT diet regime)

Dave

XXXX

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 19:25

Our family have always stood by Sudocrem available at any supermarket. It's for nappy rash , eczema , most skin problems. If I have a sore ass I slap it on and I'm sorted in 2 days. It's great for baby skin. Cracked cuticles ?? Slap it on at bedtime and they'll be cured by the morning. My 17 yr old step daughter slaps it on her face spots at night and sleeps with it on. Yes it's white and it's scented but it is superb. As with all cream it states not for internal use , but a good dollop on your anus rubbed in works great. It never stings. I hope maybe you can try it. Forgive me if it is not recommended etc but we love it !!

PS. Aqueous creams are rarely medicated so whilst they moisturise , they don't cure the problem. Sudocrem does !!

Edited by member 24 Apr 2016 at 19:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 20:55
Being due to start salvage RT on the 9th May I am grateful that this topic was raised as the info could be helpful.

I appreciate that if you have the problem it is no laughing matter but when I read Chris' s reply I was crying laughing at the sheer enthusiasm of his response. Chris you should be a copywriter for Sudacrem and I shall be dashing out tomorrow to buy a pot in readiness.

It's amazing what helpful little gems crop up on this site.

Thanks all.

Kevan

User
Posted 24 Apr 2016 at 21:40

Chris and Kevan, I have Been a big fan of sudacrem for dozens of years and seem to be the butt of family and friends jokes when I suggest a use for it. They know that whatever the problem I will suggest using it, I actually believe it is a miracle lotion that is soft enough and mild enough to put on a babies bum yet a be all and end all solution to a whole host of minor complaints.

I have piles and use it whenever they play up and as Chris J says by the morning they have been well and truly soothed.

If I get a sweat rash anywhere I put it on with a sprinkle of Talc as well.

I get the Micky taken all the time but I know how good it is so I am with you on this one ChrisJ

Get it out in the open, do not stay in the closet, join the ranks of the followers, be bold, be brave, be a man.

Chris /Woody

Edited by member 24 Apr 2016 at 21:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 10:06

Being the 'butt' of people's jokes - funny x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 13:20
Pete,

I had none of the problems you refer to at all during my 37 fractions. The centre prescribed loperamide and normacol which worked well for me. Talking to other patients we soon realised that we each had different problems and medications to assist.

My biggest problem was hydration levels . Towards the end of RT I had many bladder scans.

Good luck.

John

(Ps I'm not a fan of Sudacrem. Gave me more hassle than benefit when I've used it. )

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 15:18

I had a small problem with soreness and my treating hospital prescribed Bepanthen which is also used for nappy rash, is cheap and readily available. I was told to apply it very thinly, dabbing it on with a soft tissue. It did the job for me though I suffered constipation at the time. It might not be so suitable if you have 'the runs', but babies poo is usually thin come to think of it.

Edited by member 25 Apr 2016 at 23:58  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 17:25
Be careful which soap you are using on the area, our nurses recommended Dove only.

ATB

Alison

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 19:47

Many years ago Proctosedyl Suppositories worked great for me.

Alan

User
Posted 25 Apr 2016 at 19:51

Hi Pete

I had that problem but not a first and I only had to use them for the first 5 treatments, they gave me some cream, I was treated at the Rosemere Centre Preston but I'm sure they will be the same. Can't help with the Radiotherapy I was on the 37 treatments with no problems apart from tiredness towards the end, I'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck with everything.

Regards

Alan

KEEP POSITIVE and CARRY ON 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 10:41

Well I have bought a tub of sudacrem as a standby but, as suggested, I'll wait and see and ask the team before I use it. Sudacrem seems to be the WD40 of ointments - used for everything lol.

Off shortly for my first blast. I have found these forums and the contributors very helpful along with the experience of my older brother. It certainly helps to talk as they say.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 14:56

Don't mix up sudacrem with WD40 and start spraying your under carriage or you may walk without squeeking but I am sure it would sting a bit.

Take care, regards Chris/Woody

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 21:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:59
Peter

Genuine thanks for raising this issue as I am now better prepared for my EBRT which starts on 10th May.

Went to Oxford for scan and tattoos yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Very best wishes for a successful treatment.

Kind regards,

Kevan

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:32

On the sudacrem business, the radiographers said that they would give me a cream if I got the soreness. They also strongly recommended Simple or Johnson's baby soap for washing. I said I often used Sanex unscented shower gel but they said that some supposedly scent free creams and soaps contained metallic trace elements.

I will, of course, comply. Spare tub of sudacrem for sale lol!