Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Support for expats in Bangkok

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 04:13

Hi everyone,

6 months ago I moved out to Bangkok with my wife Beverley, who is head of an international school in the city. I'm retired and 6 years after surgery still lucky enough to be in remission. I qualified as an English teacher in January, but as I'm over 60, Thai law has prevented me getting work.

After a chance meeting with a guy who has been recently diagnosed, I realised there was no support group in Bangkok for the tens of thousands here, including Thai men. As many of you know I've been heavily involved with this over the past years, helping run support groups, counselling and fund raising. So I thought...Why not start the 'Bangkok Prostate Cancer Support Group'. I'm here for 5 years so that would be time well spent and keep me out of the house for sure.

Does anyone on here have any contacts or know of anyone already in Bangkok? Is anyone coming over on holiday from the UK in the next year who could bring me some support materials from the UK Prostate Cancer Charity? Any other ideas? Leicester are owned by a Thai consortium; anyone got any contacts at that club, they must be in a great frame of mind right now :-)

Best wishes and look me up 

Daniel Sencier

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 10:08

Hi Daniel,

It might be worth you posting something on YANA (You Are Not Alone) it is an International support group with a lot of Australians, website is

http://www.yananow.org/

:)

Dave

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 14:46

Hi Daniel 

Brilliant idea, my husband is currently having treatment, if all goes well, we might manage to get out to Thailand in the winter maybe next Jan Feb time. We have friends in BohPhut Koh Samui. We would happily bring our some materials. In my youth ( long time ago:-) I worked in Palestine, anything we wanted bringing out, we used what was known as a pigeon, a friendly traveller, who was happy to carry things. Might be worth asking one of the airlines if they would do it, as a gift of charity, a bulk consignment might be better than a traveller carrying lots of heavy paper. I had my old Remington type writer brought over, and a Xmas cake from my Gran, all via pigeon, yes it was a long time ago.

Im not sure what airlines might help, try all of them is my motto,one or more might help.

Pleased to hear you are in remission. 

Leila.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 17:36

Hi Daniel, In hindsight, in this day and age a pigeon might not be a good idea, I was pondering over my post and thinking, would i take stuff on a plane for a stranger.... maybe not. Try the airline idea maybe. 

Leila