Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Brachytherapy, my progress cont:

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 11:36

Hi all

Hope everyone is  OK. I have just returned from seeing the consultant for my check up. It is now around 15 months since I had Brachytherapy implants and I am relieved to find out that my PSA is now down to 0.47. Such a relief as I have had a month of worrying about the results. I have to go back in 6 months and if everything is the same, or improved, I then only have to go every 12 months. 

Best news I could have had and now look forward to our holiday in a months time.

Overall I have been feeling great, never felt better in fact, and feel I made the correct treatment choice. Apart from cystitis for the first 2 months or so everything has been fine, sex life still satisfactory, no complaints from the wife anyway, lol, and no continence issues.

Onward & upwards from now on. Take care everybody

Alan

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 14:54

Good news Alan, sounds like a result.

You can have a holiday without worrying, enjoy life to the full with your family.

Best wishes for the future, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:04

Fantastic news.Can stop worrying now
PSA downwards life upwards 😀
Long may it all continue

Garry

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 17:59

Brilliant news Lyrical, enjoy that holiday x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:19

Thanks for the update Alan and so pleased for you that it is all going well.

My John also had the implants and is now on yearly check ups although our GP has agreed to allow a 6 monthly update of his PSA, just to put our minds at rest.

John didn't have many side effects either and the only sniffles he gets is after Sildenafil, although I believe he did used to have a bit of one after Tamsulosin. He doesn't take them anymore though.

Long may your progress continue

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:51
Hello. Great to hear you're doing well still. My OH has a psa of 0.49 so it's similar to yours. His side effects have got worse and worse though. Quite unusual and we've yet to find a cause. They are going with nerve damage at the moment. But a few tests still to be done yet. He's been put on nerve blocking medication which has reduced the burning but not eliminated it completely.

I hope you continue to do well.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 12:32

Hi Lyrical

Glad to see that things are working out for you.

After looking at your Bio...I did not know that Brachy could have so many side effects!

Did you have any HT before/after the procedure?

Regards

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 13:03

Hi Bill,

No hormone treatment at all, just the Brachytherapy. I was very unlucky having the side effects I had as only around 10% of men suffer that way, just my luck. All behind me now though.

Alan

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 14:54

Good news Alan, sounds like a result.

You can have a holiday without worrying, enjoy life to the full with your family.

Best wishes for the future, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:04

Fantastic news.Can stop worrying now
PSA downwards life upwards 😀
Long may it all continue

Garry

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 17:59

Brilliant news Lyrical, enjoy that holiday x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 18:46

Hi all, Just a quick update. I had my check up last month and am pleased to report that my PSA is now 0.04, so another drop. Still feeling pretty much OK apart from one or two minor niggles. I find I get tired very quickly lately and since the Brachy I have lost around one & a half stone.(Not been trying to lose weight, it has just dropped off). Not worried about that as I needed to really, but I find that this has left me quite weak. Also I seem to have permanent cold like symptoms. Checked with my GP and this may be a side effect of Tamsulosin which I now take once every other day day. Small price to pay I suppose.

Apart from those niggles I generally feel great and would have no hesitation in advising anyone unfortunate enough to be diagnosed to consider Brachytherapy as a treatment. But, as we know, everyone has their own idea's and priorities.

Keep well everyone and lets hope 2017 is a much better year for us all. Oh, and a very early Happy Christmas lol (Am I the first)

Take care

Alan

User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:19

Thanks for the update Alan and so pleased for you that it is all going well.

My John also had the implants and is now on yearly check ups although our GP has agreed to allow a 6 monthly update of his PSA, just to put our minds at rest.

John didn't have many side effects either and the only sniffles he gets is after Sildenafil, although I believe he did used to have a bit of one after Tamsulosin. He doesn't take them anymore though.

Long may your progress continue

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Nov 2016 at 20:51
Hello. Great to hear you're doing well still. My OH has a psa of 0.49 so it's similar to yours. His side effects have got worse and worse though. Quite unusual and we've yet to find a cause. They are going with nerve damage at the moment. But a few tests still to be done yet. He's been put on nerve blocking medication which has reduced the burning but not eliminated it completely.

I hope you continue to do well.