Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Surgery PSA Anxiety

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:08

Hello.

I have been having  3 monthly then 6 monthly PSA tests since my prostatectomy surgery in Feb 2012

All have been <0.1 microg/L which I have been more than happy with.

Then last year an extra decimal point arrived & it was 0.01  which I was also happy with.

My most recent test (this week) has come back as 0.02 & all I can think is 'it has doubled'

I am hoping that the test can vary rather than it is increasing trend.

Anyone out there with similar experiences?

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 16:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:47

AGD

My PSA has risen from .03 two years age to .07 few weeks ago my consultant would not want to see me unless it goes over 0.1, someone with more knowledge than me will explain doubling and super sensitive PSA readings but I do not think either of us come into the doubling category yet we are both classed as undetectable.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 17:16
The earlier tests were on standard machines whilst the later are on super sensitive ones. Either way 0.02 is very low and not a concern unless it continues to rise to over 0.1.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 18:12

At supersensitive testing, the error margin is 0.04 so the same machine testing the same blood sample could produce a PSA reading of anything from 0.01 and 0.05. It may be that the sample was tested on a slightly different machine in the same lab, or that all the machines have been calibrated in between your two tests. You may have been more stressed this time or the adrenaline may have been pumping while you watched your favourite footie team (tiny amounts of PSA can be produced in the adrenal gland)

At such low numbers, nothing can be deduced from your two readings. The time to worry is when you start getting consecutive rises over three or more tests, or a reading of over 0.1. The NHS definition of a biochemical relapse (ie you weren't cured) is a reading above 0.2 or three consecutive rises at and around 0.1 and then up.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:15
Yes and please forget it. You are effectively zero as all testing equipment has a margin of error. Long may you stay that way.

Bazza

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 16:47

AGD

My PSA has risen from .03 two years age to .07 few weeks ago my consultant would not want to see me unless it goes over 0.1, someone with more knowledge than me will explain doubling and super sensitive PSA readings but I do not think either of us come into the doubling category yet we are both classed as undetectable.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 17:16
The earlier tests were on standard machines whilst the later are on super sensitive ones. Either way 0.02 is very low and not a concern unless it continues to rise to over 0.1.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 18:12

At supersensitive testing, the error margin is 0.04 so the same machine testing the same blood sample could produce a PSA reading of anything from 0.01 and 0.05. It may be that the sample was tested on a slightly different machine in the same lab, or that all the machines have been calibrated in between your two tests. You may have been more stressed this time or the adrenaline may have been pumping while you watched your favourite footie team (tiny amounts of PSA can be produced in the adrenal gland)

At such low numbers, nothing can be deduced from your two readings. The time to worry is when you start getting consecutive rises over three or more tests, or a reading of over 0.1. The NHS definition of a biochemical relapse (ie you weren't cured) is a reading above 0.2 or three consecutive rises at and around 0.1 and then up.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:53

thanks for your replies..panic over.
I guess with the old system the result would still have been <0.1 & I would have been blissfuly unaware.