Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

REST IN PEACE ALLISTER

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 18:45

Dear Friends,

It's with a very heavy heart that I have to tell you that Allister passed away in hospital at 5.20pm today.

Laura has just called me with the tragic news, and asked that I inform all his friends online.

She said he was in no pain today, and drifted off with his family around him.

There's nothing more I can say other than he was the bravest man I knew.

George

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 18:45

Dear Friends,

It's with a very heavy heart that I have to tell you that Allister passed away in hospital at 5.20pm today.

Laura has just called me with the tragic news, and asked that I inform all his friends online.

She said he was in no pain today, and drifted off with his family around him.

There's nothing more I can say other than he was the bravest man I knew.

George

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:19

Hi George,

I am sorry to hear it, please pass on my condolences, to his family.

When I think back, to this on-line support group, when I first joined, there aren't many left.  Old Al, Rob, Martini, and many many others who kept me alive with their wit and wisdom, all gone, and now Alathays.

As they say we have but a short time to live, we cometh up like a flower, and Allister was a wonderful man.

:(

Dave  

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 23:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 13:12

A message from Ewan McPherson Volunteer Support Officer (Scotland and Northern Ireland)

Those of us that knew Allister felt very lucky to have known him - despite his prostate cancer diagnosis, Allister worked tirelessly on raising awareness of prostate cancer and supporting others affected by it. Allister was an exceptionally dedicated volunteer and will be sorely missed by the volunteers and staff that worked alongside him.

If anyone wishes to send condolences or cards, please get in touch with me at my email address - ewan.mcpherson@prostatecanceruk.org - for details.

Many thanks,

Ewan

Volunteer Support Officer (Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Prostate Cancer UK

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 19:14
Oh George

My heart breaks for you. Allister had posted on fb last week several times when I was with Karen Newman and Lynne Cooke. Things sounded bad but he always defied the odds before.

I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now. I am so sorry for your loss, also to your family and to Laura and all their family.

He put up one hell of a fight and has to be an inspiration to others diagnosed with such advanced disease.

Xxxx

Mo

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 19:17
Hi George,

So sorry to hear the sad news of Allister's passing.

May he Rest in Peace.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 19:18
A true legend of this forum has gone. A knowledgeable, brave, kind, giving and learned man who left this earth before his years. His bravery in trialling new drugs and passing on information about his treatment to hundreds of worried newbies and old hands alike is incomparable and there will probably never be anyone on this forum like him again. I am truly saddened to learn this news though knew it was inevitable. Allister, take a rest now fella. Pick up an ice cold glass of Guinness and be brave no more. You've done your time, helped me immeasurably through my own demons and I will always be indebted to you. Sleep easy and free of pain now brother.

Bazza

x

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 19:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 19:35
Allister RIP my dear friend. Such a wonderful example to us all. As Bazza says, so knowledgable and so kind with sharing information. John is in tears as am I. Dear Laura, please accept our sincere condolences. We knew it was coming, especially following his latest Facebook posts, but it's an enormous shock to have lost another huge personality.

Rest in Peace Allister, a hero to me.

Love Devonmaid

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:04

Yes, he was a true legend.

I'm sorry I forgot to give Allister's ID and profile link in my post.

I was so 'thrown' by that phone call, even though the news was expected, and couldn't think straight.

There will be many new men and women here who didn't have the pleasure of knowing Al.

All the info is below:

Please click here:  ALATHAYS

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 20:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:04

George,

Thanks for letting us know about Allister. This is very very sad because of the massive fight Allister has had with this disease. His activities to increase awareness and the problems of prostate cancer and to get things done have been superb. The way things were going recently it is a blessing that at the end Allister was not in pain and drifted away. He will be a great loss to those who knew him. Sincere condolences to Laura and family.

Alan

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:33

Hi George,

Thank you for letting us all know this tragic news,

We will never forget you Allister RIP

Barry

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 20:47
Oh no, such sad news.

He gave hope and reassurance to a lot of us on here.

Rest in peace dear friend.

Alison

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:07

Rest in Peace Allister.

I was hoping against hope to meet up again at the MoTS gathering.

'Twas not to be.

An inspiration to many, including myself.

I'll be raising a glass to the great man.

Kevin

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:14

R I P Allister, you fought long and hard but this dreadful disease got you in the end.

Go forward and meet up with our fallen in that great party in the sky.

Our very sincere condolences to Laura and the family.

God Bless, Chris and Shirley.

Thanks George and our Facebook friends for your posts.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:19

Hi George,

I am sorry to hear it, please pass on my condolences, to his family.

When I think back, to this on-line support group, when I first joined, there aren't many left.  Old Al, Rob, Martini, and many many others who kept me alive with their wit and wisdom, all gone, and now Alathays.

As they say we have but a short time to live, we cometh up like a flower, and Allister was a wonderful man.

:(

Dave  

Edited by member 26 Apr 2016 at 23:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:42

I only thought about Allister the other day. Very sorry to hear this news and send my condolences to all his loved ones

Bri

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 21:57

RIP Allister. I am glad you found some peace at the end.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 22:21

We are so sorry to hear that Allister's hard fought pca journey has had to come to an end. Our deepest sympathies to his wife Laura and all his friends and family, and to you too George as we know you were good mates. Love Ness and Si x

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 22:35
Thank you for letting us know, George. Allister was a true legend and denied the odds so often it is hard to hear this sad news. Condolences to Laura and family, xx
User
Posted 26 Apr 2016 at 22:40
RIP Allister you have been an inspiration to many of us through the years. We will miss you and never forget you.

Roy

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 00:25

Even when you know it is coming, it is still a shock.

The first photo Allister ever sent me was of him playing rugby - who in their right mind plays rugby with bone mets? Keep cruising, crazy guy x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 03:11

Very sad news. Allister was a great character who helped so many, not just by his support on this forum but by the example he set in confronting PCa. He participated in research and was instrumental in raising funds for it. My condolences to Laura, family and friends.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 06:38
Very sad to read this, the battle for him is now over and he will always be at peace. My sincere condolences to his family. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 07:36

Absolutely heartbreaking. I remember so many of Allister's informed and supportive posts, losing men like this is truly like the loss of a good friend and we have lost far too many of late. My thoughts and love to his family. xx

Fiona.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 09:06
This is very sad news, may he rest in peace. My most sincere condolences to his family.

Lesley xx

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 09:17

Very sad, but what a fighter and a loss to us all. Rest in peace Allister.

Flexi

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 10:56

Such sad news. A very helpful man who was always the first to reply to any question. A great loss to everyone.

Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 13:12

A message from Ewan McPherson Volunteer Support Officer (Scotland and Northern Ireland)

Those of us that knew Allister felt very lucky to have known him - despite his prostate cancer diagnosis, Allister worked tirelessly on raising awareness of prostate cancer and supporting others affected by it. Allister was an exceptionally dedicated volunteer and will be sorely missed by the volunteers and staff that worked alongside him.

If anyone wishes to send condolences or cards, please get in touch with me at my email address - ewan.mcpherson@prostatecanceruk.org - for details.

Many thanks,

Ewan

Volunteer Support Officer (Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Prostate Cancer UK

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 15:28

Saddened by the news - what a guy - tireless in his efforts to ease this deradful disease in himself and others.

RIP Allister

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 19:02
Another sad loss, Rest in Peace Allister.
User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 19:30
RIP Allister another man lost to this dreadful disease I was only thinking the other day how he was.

BFN

JulieX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 20:00

RIP my cyber football buddy ... you did us all proud with helping other folk with this disease .

We will all meet up one day and have a pint of the black stuff .

User
Posted 28 Apr 2016 at 17:30

RIP Allister, An inspiration and support to so many.

Dave C

User
Posted 29 Apr 2016 at 16:49

Sad news indeed.

Condolences to Laura and Allister's family.

Rest easy Allister.

Roger
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 18:25
He will be missed but not forgotten, he helped so many with his knowledge and courage an inspirational man in so many ways, I can only say RIP.