Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Colonoscopy after RT

User
Posted 27 Apr 2016 at 22:09

Hi All,

Two years after my salvage RT I was referred to a consultant for an endoscopy. I've not seen much on the forum about this path so I thought it worth a mention.

During my RT, about 10 days through, I developed what seemed like copious bleeding.

Its important to state that this is a VERY unusual situation and ought not to be viewed as a likely side-effect of RT

It was determined that the likely cause was haemorrhoids aka piles, a condition that I was unaware of but were probably 'waiting in the wings' so to speak, and were brought into action by my somewhat over-enthusiasm to comply with the bowel emptying regime.

On my last review, the oncologist referred me to a consultant for a sigmoidoscopy ( the light version of a colonoscopy)

Unfortunately the appointment for the consultant was for three months hence and thus would have pushed the procedure back even further making any result unavailable for my next PSA check up. So I opted for a private consultation and was seen by the gastro-enterologist (the same one as my NHS appointment) within a week.

Well, that was a revelation, having been fobbed off by the GP with, "I'm afraid they (piles) are something you will have to live with, the consultant said, "Would you like me to deal with them now?" No question! and it's made a distinct improvement.

However, it was still seen as necessary to have the endoscopy to determine that there was no other, possibly more sinister cause.

The gastro man indicated that should there be any damage from radiation, they would be able to treat it by spraying something on it. For the life of me I cannot remember what the substance was, but it was something that I didn't associate with medical or surgical treatment-more like a household product.

I opted to go NHS for the camera work and it was carried out on a Saturday(!) I got the impression that the endoscopy team was a contract firm as the staff wore a uniform that didn't match the hospital's

The results came back pretty well straightaway, I was handed a copy- complete with some interesting camera shots on the page.

It turns out that there was some Radiation Proctopathy still discernible after two years but I am expecting that the oncologist when I next see him to confirm this to be fairly standard

All in all a useful exercise.

Dave

X

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?
User
Posted 28 Apr 2016 at 00:35

Was it witch hazel? Hopefully not WD40 or household bleach!!!!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Apr 2016 at 01:40

At one time glycerene and carbolic acid was injected into piles. Pretty strong stuff even if Lister did pioneer the use of a carbolic spray as a disinfectant. Trust they have something better now, carbolic acid was marketed as 'crosote' and for a few years now has been generally banned so no longer available to preseve fencing for which it was very good!

Hope problem can be alleviated whatever is used.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Apr 2016 at 07:06

Hi,

Fortunately, the piles were sorted out then and there at the consultation. The gastro man was referring to treatment for the Radiation Proctopathy.

The mystery substance was to be sprayed on (using the endoscopy), in the event of acute proctopathy, in the area that was affected by the RT.

Nitrogen is one form of treatment but there was no mention of freezing.

Dragging the depths of my memory, I think it was silicone that he mentioned - so perhaps mention of WD40 wasn't so far off http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Dave

Not "Why Me?" but "Why Not Me"?