I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psoriasis and EBRT

User
Posted 29 Apr 2016 at 19:59
I am due to start 33 sessions of EBRT on 10th May and as a result of advice from the hospital and the good folk on this forum, I feel well prepared but am curious about one thing. I have psoriasis and one area the size of a dinner plate at the base of my spine. I asked the team whether this might be affected by the RT. They seemed unsure
but did say that there was always the possibilty that it could help alleviate it. I wondered whether anyone here had any experience of this. I t will be what it will be but forewarned is forearmed.

Kevan
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 17:40
Kevan
not sure if RT could have a positive effect on your psoriasis, I have not seen any reports about it. Do you take any medication for it or use any topical steroids? I would be very cautious about usng any potions or lotions anywhere near the site of your RT. I seem to recall Mick being told no talc, deodorant or anything.
I have replied hoping somebody else will see your post after the bank holiday and respond.

best wshes
xx
Mo
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 18:52

Kevan, I have psoriasis and had RT ending last Nov. There were no adverse problems with affecting it or making it any worse, I do not have a large area like you but still get it where yours is. I have been using Double base gel for about three years and it is very good at stopping the itching. I often apply it twice daily for about three or four days then stay itch free for a week then have to use it again.

When you do the daily driving make sure you know where there are loo stops on the way ( I found every ten/ fifteen minutes was normal) take a container with you or get your GP to prescribe a URIBAG which will take several wee's at a time and is seelable.

Best of luck with the RT, you will make some new friends in the waiting area as most people had a regular time slot so you will see the same faces daily.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 19:11
Hi Chris
Thanks so much for feedback about your experience with the RT and your psoriasis. I have mentally mapped all the toilet stops but like Baldrick I also have a cunning plan. I have a load of leg bags and Conveen sheaths left over from my days of incontinence after the RALP. So, have RT then nip into gents and bag up ready for trip home and can then pee to my hearts content without having to stop. How cunning is that ?
Really appreciate your advice as it is always a great help to plan things using the experience of others.
Have just started using double base cream on elbows and knees so was interested to see how well you get on with it.
Looking forward to making some new friends.

Kind regards,

Kevan
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 19:57

Usually, the zapping zone starts at your hip and swings across your tummy to the opposite hip so the area at the base of your spine should be unaffected. However, I wouldn't put any gel or cream anywhere near the zapping zone until you have had clearance from the medics as creams, talc, etc can act as a barrier to the rays.

Presumably, once you have been zapped for the day, you can then use the cream / gel as long as it has been washed off before the next zapping?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 17:40
Kevan
not sure if RT could have a positive effect on your psoriasis, I have not seen any reports about it. Do you take any medication for it or use any topical steroids? I would be very cautious about usng any potions or lotions anywhere near the site of your RT. I seem to recall Mick being told no talc, deodorant or anything.
I have replied hoping somebody else will see your post after the bank holiday and respond.

best wshes
xx
Mo
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 18:27
Hi Mo
Thanks for the response. I had looked on the internet but there is nothing very specific about the subject.
I do use an ointment called Dovonex which is calcipotriol.
I was a bit surprised that the team did not appear to have an answer but I have to admit that the thought of having to go 7 weeks without it is a but daunting. I guess that what I should have asked is how large an area of skin could be affected and that way I can just avoid that immediate area.
I can't wait to get started now and I cannot believe how kind friends and neighbours have been with offers of assistance should the need arise. They know that I am a stubborn old git who genuinly believes nothing is ever going to go wrong but Carol my OH is worrying about me doing the 90 mile round trip
each day on my own but having been a
professional driver I enjoy my own
company. Also I have said to her that at
t least I can leave when I am ready
rather than having to wait another 30
mins for her to change handbags. I will take your advice and ditch the ointment
for the first day and then ask the radiologist on the first day.

Thanks again Mo.

Kevan x

I will stick with your advice and ditch the
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 18:52

Kevan, I have psoriasis and had RT ending last Nov. There were no adverse problems with affecting it or making it any worse, I do not have a large area like you but still get it where yours is. I have been using Double base gel for about three years and it is very good at stopping the itching. I often apply it twice daily for about three or four days then stay itch free for a week then have to use it again.

When you do the daily driving make sure you know where there are loo stops on the way ( I found every ten/ fifteen minutes was normal) take a container with you or get your GP to prescribe a URIBAG which will take several wee's at a time and is seelable.

Best of luck with the RT, you will make some new friends in the waiting area as most people had a regular time slot so you will see the same faces daily.

Regards Chris/Woody

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 19:11
Hi Chris
Thanks so much for feedback about your experience with the RT and your psoriasis. I have mentally mapped all the toilet stops but like Baldrick I also have a cunning plan. I have a load of leg bags and Conveen sheaths left over from my days of incontinence after the RALP. So, have RT then nip into gents and bag up ready for trip home and can then pee to my hearts content without having to stop. How cunning is that ?
Really appreciate your advice as it is always a great help to plan things using the experience of others.
Have just started using double base cream on elbows and knees so was interested to see how well you get on with it.
Looking forward to making some new friends.

Kind regards,

Kevan
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 19:57

Usually, the zapping zone starts at your hip and swings across your tummy to the opposite hip so the area at the base of your spine should be unaffected. However, I wouldn't put any gel or cream anywhere near the zapping zone until you have had clearance from the medics as creams, talc, etc can act as a barrier to the rays.

Presumably, once you have been zapped for the day, you can then use the cream / gel as long as it has been washed off before the next zapping?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 20:44
Thanks for the advice Lyn. What you say is where I was headed with it all but thought that I had read somewhere that there was the possibilty of some skin irritation where there could be some 'exit' damage.
As you have rightly said so many times there is no point in the NHS doing all they can to help if I just do something daft that screws up their efforts.
Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Kevan
User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 21:28

Fair point on exit damage - I hadn't thought of that. John is naturally dark-skinned so had no skin problems at all but I believe men who are very light-skinned can have something akin to sunburn. Someone on here must have had skin irritation .....

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 21:44

Lyn, at the end of the RT I remember looking at myself in a mirror and seeing a lovely sun tan all round me with the rest of my body being lily white. Looked like I had been sunbathing with all y clothes on except around my privates. Very odd looking.

Chris/Woody

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 22:35

Including your lower back PB or just your front and sides?

User
Posted 03 May 2016 at 08:19

Just front and sides Lyn, it has all faded now and back to being a dazzling white Englishman.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 14:24
Just an update in case anyone else is affected by this. I completed my 33 sessions of salvage EBRT three weeks ago and my psoriasis has improved dramatically. I experienced no skin soreness to the lower back and that area has reduced in size by 50%.My elbows now look almost normal and my knees no longer need any medication.
I have no idea yet what the RT has done for the cancer but it seems to have done wonders for the psoriasis.
Sorry if this comes across as a bit self indulgent but I thought it might just be of help to someone on this strange journey.
Kevan
User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 17:19

Strangely enough Kevan my psoriasis has not been as active since my RT as well and that ended in Nov last year. I still use the cream occasionally but only once or twice a fortnight.

Looks like we have cracked the case Sherlock!!

Chris/Woody ( aka Watson )