I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bowel habit changes

User
Posted 30 Apr 2016 at 09:26

So far doc has done DRE, says prostate is enlarged & spongy (I'm 67), I'm waiting for blood test next week with results following week before discussing 'what next'.

My bowel habits have been once every morning regular as clockwork for over 40 years, but I've noticed I'm going 2 or 3 separate times now, maybe an hour or 2 apart (not loose).  No diet changes, only the weak, more frequent peeing thing & a little pain when starting to pee sometimes (mainly if I've been sitting driving for a while).

I forgot to mention it & wonder if it's connected?  Any ideas?

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 23:17

Hi Malc,
the bowel changes are not particularly indicative of prostate cancer but could well be a side effect of the prostate being enlarged. No point trying to guess what the outcome of your tests might be - as difficult as it seems, best to wait for the PSA result and then update us.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 07:57
If this helps , then yes , I'd noticed a change in my bowels habits about a year before I was diagnosed. Actually they had improved and was told that this could have been due to an enlargement of the prostate. I hope that your test results provide good news for you.

John

User
Posted 02 May 2016 at 19:54

As regards the weaker passing of urine and greater frequency, this could be due to increased pressure on the prostate and also possibily age related weakening of the bladder. A urinary infection can also result in greater frequency and some pain when passing water. It's a question of having appropriate tests and awaiting results.

Barry