Show search

Notification

Error

Hot Flushes 6 months after HT

User
Posted 01 May 2016 at 22:07
In the last few days I have suddenly started having hot flushes again
These are taking the form of a hot red face and sweating
My hormone treatment finished approximately 6 months ago so these flushes are unexpected
My most recent post titled "Conundrum" highlighted that my most recent blood test showed a rise in PSA from zero to 0.2
Next test due in 3 weeks
Keen to hear from other members if any have experience of these unexpected hot flushes after treatment ?
Thanks
User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 16:34

I was once told that the effects of ADT can last for up to nine months after cessation. I can't speak from experience of the effects after finishing the treatment as after nearly nine years on ADT I still get the effects you are experiencing! I presume you'll be seeing an oncologist or urologist about the PSA results in three weeks? If not, do arrange an appointment. If so, ask about this then. Best wishes,

AC in Northants

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 17:12

For John, the hot flushes seem to have become a permanent side effect PJ

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 17:53

I had them for a good six months after HT ended. 7 years on they're still there although I hasten to add at a low level and in periods of a few weeks. Of course they could be nothing to do with past HT but?

Ray

User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 18:24
Hello.

I am not impressed with any these responses . It's not what I wanted to read at all. I really dislike HT but am accepting that for the moment it's a big part of my life . But for effects to continue after cessation. ... That's not good news !

John
User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 19:39

Hi Surr, the generalisation is that the side effects disappear in approximately the same time that you were on HT so if you have 2 years of HT then it will take 2 years for all side effects to wear off. Within that, there are some that can be permanent, like moobs. Another generalisation but the SEs that came on quickly tend to disappear quickly (for some men this would be things like breathlessness perhaps) while those that took a long time to develop will take a long time to disappear.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 May 2016 at 22:19
Lyn,

Thanks, I was told by the urologist that he wanted me on the 28 day cycle for Zoladex for the lessening of s/e withdrawal, which is the routine I started on . But the oncologist and the senior radiotherapist wanted me on the 3 month cycle. So I swopped over to that. I think I'll ask to revert to the 28 day cycle as my HT draws to a close to see if that's an option they'd be happy with. But it'll have to wait until next year before I ask.

John