I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Snotty grandchildren!

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 17:59
Sorry for the title but...I'm supposed to be visiting my dad at the weekend with my two young boys. Dad is really looking forward to seeing us, especially his beloved grandchildren, but unfortunately they are both full of snot and sneezes. There are not ill, no fever or temp, just a cold but I'm really worried about dad picking anything up whilst having his chemo. Dad is telling me it will be fine and to still come but I just wondered what anyone else thought??
Thank you in advance.
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:45

Sorry, can't help as I have no experience of Chemo..

My gut feeling would be to keep the grandchildren away.

Just 'bumping' this post up to the top in the hope that someone with more knowledge will be able to offer advice.. x

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 21:44

Well it is not ideal and depending on where in his cycle he is, could be devastating. On the other hand, my father in law would have said that there was no point having treatment to stay alive if he then couldn't do the things that made him feel he was living.

Perhaps a call to the chemo suite for advice, or don't let them kiss him?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 22:23

Lyn's point is a good one ........ if it was me it would be very hard to convince me that I couldn't see my grandchildren whatever the circumstances!

dl

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 22:58
My OH went through chemo so i know the risks. It is advisable not to have close contact with colds, infections etc particularly at the point where the white blood cells are lowest.
I agree with others, check it out with hospital as it is easy to end up in hospital with infection.
Take care.
Glen
User

If he really wants to see them just make sure you are meticulous about handwashing when they blow their noses, touch their faces etc. Also it's good to teach them to cough or sneeze into their elbows rather than their hands. And make sure tissues go straight into the bin so they don't touch any surfaces.

I had a cold when my OH was on chemo, did all the above plus using antiseptic wipes on door handles etc and he didn't catch so much as a sniffle.

Are his white cell counts ok? If they are low he will be at higher risk.

Good luck

Rosy

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 05:24

hi would agree with Rosy, Dad needs to think long term as an infection can be serious as I know by experience, ask him not to kiss the kids, know how hard it is not to see grandkids mine are in Canada, his health whilst on chemo is important

its ok to say whats the point in having chemo to stay alive if I cant do what I like, for me the whole point is the long term benefit, not just a few hours which can do serious health problems

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:45

Sorry, can't help as I have no experience of Chemo..

My gut feeling would be to keep the grandchildren away.

Just 'bumping' this post up to the top in the hope that someone with more knowledge will be able to offer advice.. x

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 21:44

Well it is not ideal and depending on where in his cycle he is, could be devastating. On the other hand, my father in law would have said that there was no point having treatment to stay alive if he then couldn't do the things that made him feel he was living.

Perhaps a call to the chemo suite for advice, or don't let them kiss him?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 21:52
Thank you both for replying. Dad is very much of the same school of thought. The grandchildren are his world so I know how disappointed he would be if we didn't visit but I have such a worry about him picking up the cold 😁 Decisions, decisons.......
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 22:23

Lyn's point is a good one ........ if it was me it would be very hard to convince me that I couldn't see my grandchildren whatever the circumstances!

dl

User
My OH went through chemo so i know the risks. It is advisable not to have close contact with colds, infections etc particularly at the point where the white blood cells are lowest.
I agree with others, check it out with hospital as it is easy to end up in hospital with infection.
Take care.
Glen
User

If he really wants to see them just make sure you are meticulous about handwashing when they blow their noses, touch their faces etc. Also it's good to teach them to cough or sneeze into their elbows rather than their hands. And make sure tissues go straight into the bin so they don't touch any surfaces.

I had a cold when my OH was on chemo, did all the above plus using antiseptic wipes on door handles etc and he didn't catch so much as a sniffle.

Are his white cell counts ok? If they are low he will be at higher risk.

Good luck

Rosy

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 05:24

hi would agree with Rosy, Dad needs to think long term as an infection can be serious as I know by experience, ask him not to kiss the kids, know how hard it is not to see grandkids mine are in Canada, his health whilst on chemo is important

its ok to say whats the point in having chemo to stay alive if I cant do what I like, for me the whole point is the long term benefit, not just a few hours which can do serious health problems

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 07:33

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I don't honestly know how his white cell count is - all he ever tells me is he is doing great and I don't get to to join him on any appointments unfortunately.
When would his white cell count likely be lowest? He had a session of chemo yesterday, it seems so far the week or so after the session he is fine then he has a few tired/groggy days then feels ok again. Would the groggy days coincide with the lower cell count days or does it not really work like that?

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 10:07

I think only the doctor can tell you that from the last blood count. My husband's white cell count stayed within normal limits throughout his chemo even though his red cell count dropped every time; it seems to be just one of those things that varies from person to person.

Rosy

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 14:19
Hi,

I don't know how much help this will be, but my dad had his first session of chemo on 15th April. He was fine, and felt fine until he started having some chest pains 6 days after chemo. It was only after going to the hospital and having some bloods taken that we found out his white cells/immune system was down to near enough zero. The docs said he was very lucky to have come to hospital as he was very poorly. I have a little boy (nearly 3 years old) and I couldnt stop my dad seeing him for love nor money but I know that we would have to be sensible if my little one was very unwell. I think, roughly, you are most susceptible to picking things up between the 7th to 14th day after chemo. Hope this helps and I understand you worrying. That's all I do now.

Penny
X
"Some people care too much. I think it's called love." by A.A. Milne