I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After hormone therapy stops

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 16:30

My husband has radiotherapy and 2 years hormone therapy which stopped 6 months ago.His PSA has risen from undetectable to 1.4.

What does this mean?

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 17:42

It means that either some of his healthy prostate cells have recovered and started to produce PSA again - or that the treatment didn't cure him and he may have to have treatment to keep it under control at some point. It may be too early to know which - if his PSA stays fairly level they would probably just keep an eye on it but if it has been rising quite quickly then you might want to see the oncologist for advice.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 21:37

My oncologist told me not to worry about my psa  (currently 0.14) until it rose to 1.0.  I think he set this number so he could intervene in a timely fashion.  

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 21:44

It varies so much from onco to onco. Some won't intervene until 10 or even 20.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 22:13
This has happened to a friend and the oncologist sees them ever three months and doesn't want to rush him back to HT because his quality of life will change. I think the number is less important than the rate of change but it is certain that the rate of increase will be monitored and that is likely to guide decisions on further treatment.

These days that could well mean chemo as it's got very good results feom the Stampede trial. I think acknowledging that the cancer isn't cured (not totally sure if this is the case here but it is in my friend's case) is a huge leap. Good luck.

Love

Devonmaid