I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Persistance worked

User
Posted 13 May 2016 at 18:31

This is an encouraging story of a man who 12years on following set backs has done very well.  Would that men could all have such a good result but we know this is not possible currently.  Here it highlights a man's persistance and the advantages of seeking out and taking part in trials.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3581811/Ian-given-just-months-live-12-years-s-cancer-free-s-secret.html

Barry
User
Posted 13 May 2016 at 22:45

It is amazing to think that just 12 years ago this man would probably not have survived. Look how far these treatments have come and how much we owe the "Guinea Pigs" who trial these drugs for us.

Thanks for the link Barry

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 09:31

Thanks for sharing this Barry - will show it to my fiance.

User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 11:13
Barry
a great article and look who and what is involved again Prof de B and Opalarib. I wonder of course, just how much the earlier treatments started the ball rolling and actually aided the RT and Opalarib to finally give this man, who had been diagnosed 12 years ago with advanced metastatic PCa, a cure. Even though it was long after his intial diagnsois that he was found to have defective BRCA2 genes?

I know someone will point out that only a very small percent of men have BRCA2 linked PCa, but I would just say, then in that case a very small percent out of over 40,000 men a year now stand a chance of a cure. IF and its a big IF their medical team do the genetic test.

Thanks for sharing as always Barry
xx
Mo
User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 19:44
Thanks Barry

" I told him I couldn't accept that there was nothing else available".

A man after my own heart, my Onco is well aware of my feelings as I always remind him that for me , "failure is not an option". I remember discussing with him the possibility of HIFU to my Mets in the pelvis, which I now see they are trailing for the lower spine/ Sacrum area so if the SABR didn't get it all then that may be my next option when I have my PSA tested in 4 weeks time.

Roy

User
Posted 15 May 2016 at 19:09

I had spotted this article, too, and it reminded me that about eight years ago I had filled in a huge questionnaire about genetic and environmental factors involved in my PCa. I couldn't recall hearing any more though until recent years when I attended for my oncology/urology appointment at the hospital, I always saw a great thick paper file labelled with the study details as well as the usual file into which the consultant penned his notes.  Now of course all is digital and there is no paper to be seen.  I reminded my oncology nurse about this and he is going to follow up for me.  The interest is that so far as I know no genetic test has been done on my blood or other fluids and yet my late brother had and one of two cousins has PCa.  Strikes me that I should have been tested.  Perhaps if I had been at the Royal Marsden, I would have been.  Alas, in the sticks, no such luck.  Maybe the faulty gene applies in my case.  In which case a change of medication may even be curative - my current PSA under abiraterone is only 2.1, so not a huge step to get this down to zero, maybe?

The real interest for me is that the actor in the story tried one thing after another and gradually wore the cancer down.  I greatly admire the persistence, on which others have remarked.  We can all learn from that!

Best wishes,

AC in Northants

User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 07:15
Very interesting just sent itvto my OH. Thanks for sharing.
Glen