I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 4.5 Gleason 4+4 Age 76

User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 04:39

My father who is 76 years old has been recently diagnoses with prostrate cancer . He had a prostrate enlargement and so went for an operation . The biopsy results came as 4 +4 . Considering his age the doctor is suggesting removal of testicles . Others are suggesting radical removal of prostrate and removal of testicles. 

We are also planing  bone x ray and other tests to confirm it has not spread . He is very socked . 

Pls advice .   

User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 12:10
Good Lord! Some people are still working at that age so he is hardly decrepit is he! Does he have other health problems as this would be quite an unusual and extreme treatment choice.

Reluctant to say any more than that until we know a bit more about dad's general health, (does he have dementia for example which might affect his ability to take regular tablets?) and also which country he lived in.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 14:58

He lives an active life. Had a hart attach some five years back . He lives in India. No other health problem. In fact even now he has no symptoms . But that 4 +4 gleason pattern.

User
Posted 14 May 2016 at 15:10

If scans are clear than stats as mine at diagnosis. Gleason 4+4, PSA very close to mine. Treatment was Radio Therapy and Hormone Therapy. Now survived 11.5 years which I hope is some comfort to you.

Check my profile for further details.

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 14 May 2016 at 15:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2016 at 15:09

Ah India. That may explain the difference in treatment suggestions. In the uk he would probably have been given hormone tablets or injections to castrate him rather than surgical removal of the testicles but perhaps the hormones are hard to get in India. Surgical removal of the prostate is quite a difficult operation and can lead to impotence and incontinence - again, it may be difficult for a man of 76 to cope with incontinence in India, particularly if pads etc are very expensive.

You could seek a second opinion about gaving the prostate removed but best wait for the scans first - no point if it has already spread and if it hasn't spread you could maybe ask whether hormone treatment is available?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard