Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

rogue tissue from bundled opp

User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 08:29

Hi,

My Father had a Robotic Radical prostatectomy in August last year and recovery was really good.

Some of the nerves were left behind on one side where they thought there was no cancer, but since then his PSA readings have slowly risen from 0.12 after the operation to 0.43 in the 8 months.

He know has to decide what way to go and is dreading the thought of incontinence or bowel problems through radiotherapy as although he is 70, he is fit and an active cyclist.

A major worry for me is that in the operation when they went to remove the bag that contained the prostate tissue it had become undone and the tissue had fallen out so they had to fill him back up with gas and go on a hunt for the missing bits.
The surgeon was very apologetic and said there would have to be an investigation into why the bag had come undone and it had never happened before to them.

IF any were left behind could they have attached anywhere else and started regenerating???

Thanks for any advice.

X

User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 11:14
Hi

Like your dad I had a RALP in August last year and by April this year my PSA had risen to 0.5. My understanding is that in potentially a third of cases some cells can still remain in the prostate bed and hence the PSA readings. The difficulty can be that at this early stage they have no definitive way of identifying the exact location. If the PSA rises slowly it can be indicative that the cells are in the prostate bed and so RT can be used effectively against them. It sounds as though this could be the case with your dad and this what we have decidedIin my case, too.

It is a daunting prospect but one that has to be faced and I am now on day 6 of 33. Like yourself and your dad I am going into this with eyes wide open, prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

I have no idea whether the incident during surgery could have any bearing on what is happening now, but it would appear that salvage RT following a RALP is not uncommon. Many people come through RT with only transient side effects and there is no reason to suppose your dad should not be one of them.

All the best to your dad.

Kevan

User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 16:00

Hi I had adjuvant RT 5 months after RP and regaining control of my bladder, apart from going back to wearing one pad a day for a short period near the end of the 33 days and for about 2 weeks after , and apart from a few stress incontinence (slight dribble at unexpected times) all is well . Your question about them leaving bits still in will be a question for the surgeon , but as they went hunting for them leads you to think they could multiple . hope all goes well if he decides for RT Andy

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 11:14
Hi

Like your dad I had a RALP in August last year and by April this year my PSA had risen to 0.5. My understanding is that in potentially a third of cases some cells can still remain in the prostate bed and hence the PSA readings. The difficulty can be that at this early stage they have no definitive way of identifying the exact location. If the PSA rises slowly it can be indicative that the cells are in the prostate bed and so RT can be used effectively against them. It sounds as though this could be the case with your dad and this what we have decidedIin my case, too.

It is a daunting prospect but one that has to be faced and I am now on day 6 of 33. Like yourself and your dad I am going into this with eyes wide open, prepared for the worst but hoping for the best.

I have no idea whether the incident during surgery could have any bearing on what is happening now, but it would appear that salvage RT following a RALP is not uncommon. Many people come through RT with only transient side effects and there is no reason to suppose your dad should not be one of them.

All the best to your dad.

Kevan

User
Posted 17 May 2016 at 16:00

Hi I had adjuvant RT 5 months after RP and regaining control of my bladder, apart from going back to wearing one pad a day for a short period near the end of the 33 days and for about 2 weeks after , and apart from a few stress incontinence (slight dribble at unexpected times) all is well . Your question about them leaving bits still in will be a question for the surgeon , but as they went hunting for them leads you to think they could multiple . hope all goes well if he decides for RT Andy