Show search

Notification

Error
<123>

My dad x

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 18:44
Hi Viv

Such a relief to have the results as you can then move on to the next phase.Take time to chill as apart from reading up on what to expect there is nothing to be achieved by worrying now.

There are many of us on this site who have had the op and although each experience will be unique we will all be happy to help with any questions you may have.

Today was my last day of salvage RT so I am also feeling pretty good this evening.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 19:10

The best you could have hoped for and nothing to feel guilty about - we all love it when someone gets good news.

It would be great if dad could get away for a holiday now - he may not feel like it for a good few weeks or months after the op. Also, if he is still sexually active, lots of opportunity to do what couples do, but he perhaps wouldn't want to discuss that with you!!! Also, time to start on the shopping list - there are a few threads on here with helpful suggestions but I would start with:

- tracksuit / jogging bottoms with a drawstring waist in a dark colour (M&S make some in navy or black sweatshirt material)
- pyjama bottoms with drawstring waist or loose elastic
- underpants (not boxers) in a size larger than he normally wears
- a bucket to stand the night bag in
- a waterproof sheet for the bed (preferably not PVC - they make a decent one in terry cotton at Dunelm) - or disposable bed pads
- incontinence pads, unless your GP / district nursing team confirm that they will provide these - most seem to rate the Tena for Men as most comfortable and Tesco, Asda etc often do BOGOF. Don't buy the ladies version by mistake - very uncomfortable and all the padding is in the wrong area

Others will come along with their own thoughts on what to buy

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 20:15

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will be following each of your journeys with hope for you all,
Thanks Lyn
That list will come in very handy

Think my mum and dad are going to get away from everything for a week or two
I have a family holiday booked abroad with my husband and son smack bang in the middle of the time scale given for my dads op, :-( !!! Not going to even think of what to do about that for a little while
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 21:12

Ooh things progressing a little quicker than expected, The six week wait for dads op has turned into two weeks!! (letter in post today) so the little breather over the summer isn't happening, so straight into the next phase of dads cancer Journey !! we aren't complaining though, The sooner the better, Going to have to get my dad on overtime with his pelvic floor exercises now !! yes I am bossy but only cos I love him, :-)
X

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 21:34
I can well imagine that your Dad might be feeling a bit relieved that the date has been brought forward as even though the planned break would be welcome, it only human nature to still be on a countdown.

Thinking of you all and I feel confident that the op will be fine.A step at a time following the op and if Dad or any of you have any further questions that we can help with then please say.

Kind regards to all,

Kevan

User
Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 16:03

Good afternoon

My dad has been for his pre op assessment today which also included a treadmill test which my dad did manage (he's a pretty healthy 71 year old)
Dads having his op next Thursday
Was just wondering if anyone has had this op at this age or older please ? I'm starting to worry about him having the op now,
I've gone from praying that the cancer is operable to now worrying about cardiac complications in surgery and not wanting my dad to have the op !! Think I'm loosing the plot at the mo,
Viv x

User
Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 16:37

Hi Viv
The pre op assessment does exactly what it says on the tin. Many older men are not candidates for surgery because of other health conditions , but your pop has passed with flying colours. You're all bound to have doubts but I'm sure it will all be ok Good luck

User
Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 16:50

Viv, I'm sure from a pre-op point of view your dad will be fine.

No surgeon is going to risk his reputation operating on a man with other health problems. If dad is deemed fit enough by those who know then relax.

Nag him about the pelvic floor exercises by all means, but try not to fret over the success of the op. I'm sure he will be fine.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 17:18

Thank you both for helping put my mind at ease, I know I'm looking to much in to things yet again, lol I was never a worrier and was always so optimistic until that ugly C word turned up :-(

What would I do without the fab ppl on this site,
Thx
Viv x

User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 18:12

V

Hope things go well Thursday, below are links to conversations about pre op shopping lists and post op catheter use.

My number one tip for post op is no straining to pass that first motion, our hospital now gives movicol or senna a few days before the op to keep things lose Anesthetic and tablets can easily cause constipation. Keeping mobile will help but no marathons, I would twist from side to side when sat on the loo and I probably tried to pass a motion a few times before I had any success, remember no straining.

Drinking lots of water is an occupational hazard of prostate removal. Find a suitable drink Dad likes, he is going to be drinking lots of fluid. Hospital water can leave a lot to be desired.

To Dad are you doing your pelvic floor exercises ? I was told no PFE while the catheter is in. There is an android app called prostate aerobics that is a good aid. I have lost faith in PFEs but if you do them and they work it will be a bonus.

Post catheter removal I went to bed with a pad in my underpants and a pair of tenna4 pants over the top, if the tenna4 does not get soiled it can be reused. As I travelled around and stopped in hotels etc it saved any mishaps. There are some tips about catheter straps etc in the links.

Thanks Chris

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11307-Operation-29-Dec#post139160

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t11534-Long-term-catheter---any-tips-on-living-with-this

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t9992-Awaiting-Robotic-Surgery

User
Posted 03 Jul 2016 at 20:26
Thanks for all this info Chris, I will pass this on to my dad, got a little confused dads op is a week on Tuesday, don't Know where I've got Thursday from !! My brains mushed at the mo,

Can 33 year olds have senior moment ? Lol

Will update after dads op

X

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 17:38

It's my dads big day tomorrow, He will say bye bye to his prostrate and hopefully his cancer forever, although we are being realistic that he may need R/T afterwards,I feel really emotional and nervous today (you would think it was me having the op !!i would do anything for me to have cancer rather than my daddy) Myself and my Mam will be taking him to the Freeman hospital tomorrow morning for 7.00am, hopefully he will be 1st on the list,
Does anyone know how long this op takes please (robotic surgery) and whether we will get to see him after surgery ?

Viv x

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 18:34

Good luck to you all
My op took 4 1/2 hrs by hand laparoscopic.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 18:54
V

I went in at 7.00AM, saw the surgeon for a quick chat and do the paperwork, then saw the anaesthetist for a chat and a bit more paperwork. Then got gowned up, surgical stockings, a few more questions on allergies tagged up and ready to go. Then had a slight delay because the air scrubbers in theatre were not working. Into the anaesthetic room, asked if it was too late to change my mind, had the cannulas etc fitted and off to sleep. Woke up in recovery had a cup of coffee and the best toast ever. I was then driven to the ward by a porter who had aspirations of being an F1 driver, arrived about 14.00. The surgeon had already phoned the wife to say all had gone well. The actual op was around 4 hours.

They wanted me out of bed and sitting in a chair by 18.00.

All the best for tomorrow, make sure he has ear plugs for the night in hospital and remember no straining to pass that first motion.

Thanks Chris

PS it was Robot surgery.

Edited by member 11 Jul 2016 at 19:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 18:56

Thanks for the reply Chris
Will post a little update tomorrow evening

Viv

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 19:04
Hi Chris thanks for replying

And sharing this Info, I will take note about the ear plugs !!!

Viv x

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 19:24
Hi Viv

All the best to your Dad for tomorrow. Hopefully he will feel pretty good after the op but try to make sure he doesn't overdo things.

There will be a lot of swelling and things will be a strange colour for quite a while. Not the sort of thing he might want to discuss with his daughter but he might reassurance that this is normal.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 19:30

Open RP and laparoscopic tend to be a bit quicker at 4 - 5 hours. Robotic can be anything from 4 - 6 hours. Sometimes it takes longer because they decide to send some tissue to the lab for testing during the op, or because there has been something unexpected. My husband's op was much longer because they had to get through scar tissue from previous ops (he had his appendix out years ago, and some other op that I have forgotten) plus they had to redesign the bottom of his bladder (which they had not anticipated). That meant that I was sitting in a hospital waiting room at 10.30pm waiting for the surgeon to come & tell me how it had gone .... very stressful!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 19:37
Hi Kevan

Thanks for your kind words and advice x

Hi Lyn

I didn't realise it could take that long,

I bet you were stressed that's a long day !!

Hoping my dads op doesn't take that long, I can see tomorrow being a clock watching kind of day ;-(

X

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 20:53

Fingers crossed for dad tomorrow Viv. I'm sure that the knowledge that you and your mum will be there waiting for him when he comes out of the anaesthetic will boost him.

Take a book/newspaper/kindle or whatever you both need to distract you from the waiting. It won't go any quicker fretting about it.
The longer it takes doesn't mean something sinister. It just means the surgeon is doing a thorough job!

Don't forget plenty of small change for drinks machines etc. Make sure your phone is charged up (easy to forget when you are rushing around organising everything else)

It will all be over before you know it, and life can return to some semblance of normality.

Make sure dad rests

Best wishes to all of you

Edited by member 11 Jul 2016 at 20:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 20:54
My op (da Vinci robot) took over 7 hours but please don't let the extra time for me worry you because we all are different and I would view my op as successful as far as PCa is concerned. I went down to the theatre quite early in the morning and my wife came to see me in the evening.

You obviously have a wonderful relationship with your dad. I would put money on it that if a choice was possible your dad wouldn't change places with you for anything (being a dad to a daughter I know this!)

I had my op over 3 and half years ago and I am still here. Thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you all the very best.

Edited by member 11 Jul 2016 at 20:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2016 at 22:23

Hope all goes well with your dad tomorrow, will be thinking of you all

User
Posted 12 Jul 2016 at 08:38

Good luck to you all today and I really hope things go as smoothly as possible.

I have my consultants interview tomorrow to decide what's going to happen with me.  Anticipation is high, worry is low. Q'ai cera and all that, lol.  I just hope that I am able to have a choice as to which treatment to have.

Again, good luck! We are all with you!

Glen

User
Posted 12 Jul 2016 at 12:30

Good luck for today...

KRO...

User
Posted 12 Jul 2016 at 21:57

Hi
So my dad had his prostate removed today, He Went down to theatre at 1.00pm and was still in recovery at 8.30 this evening, The amazing staff at the Freeman hospital allowed us to see him in recovery for a short while, It was a bit of a shock to see my dad all wired up and in pain but I know he's in good Hands, looking forward to seeing him tomorrow, hopefully a bit brighter than today,
X

User
Posted 12 Jul 2016 at 22:16

Great news Viv
He might be in for an uncomfortable first night ( the gas they fill you with causes quite a bit of pain ) , but hopefully by the time you see him tomorrow things will have settled down a bit.
Best wishes
Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2016 at 22:48
Hi Vivienne,

Good news that your dad has had the operation. I'm sure his recovery will go well.

May I wish your dad all the best for the months to come.

Steve

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 07:15
Hi Viv,

Glad your Dad has had his operation and I hope his recovery goes smoothly for him.

Wishing you and your family well for the times ahead,

John

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 07:23
V

Good to hear that part is over,that sounds like a long day for you all. I was fairly pain free and had no discomfort from the gas CJ mentioned,but I saw quite a few guys who were uncomfortable with it. I suspect he will look alot brighter when you see him today. So now it is keep mobile but no marathons.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 09:14

Glad that's over for him (and all of you)

Before he leaves hospital get him to ask about something for constipation because he won't want to be straining believe me.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 09:42

Thank you all for your well wishes and advice, I've spoke to dad this morning he doesn't sound great but I suppose that's expected, he was in theatre and recovery for quite some time.
Could anyone tell me how long you wait until you have you first PSA test post surgery please ?

Looking forward to seeing him this afternoon

Viv X

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 10:11

Yet to come for me.

Seeing the Urology and Oncology surgeons this afternoon to give me my options and tell me how good/bad things are after the MRI scan. Here's hoping for good news!

Hope your dad makes a smooth recovery. Please keep us updated. Forewarned is forearmed!

Glen

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 10:21

Hi Viv
Eight weeks is the norm for PSA test and Histology review with Urologist.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 11:32
Hi glen

I wish you luck for your results and treatment plan today, the waiting is just horrendous but once you know the deal hopefully things will be a little easier for you

Will be thinking of you

Viv x

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 11:34
Thanks for that Chris

Going to try not to think to much of PSA's for a bit, it's so consuming isn't it !!

Viv x

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 11:42

Thanks for that.  I will be really glad when today is over. Like you say, it's not knowing that is the worst part.

Glen

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 15:27

Good luck Glen

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 17:08

Often advised to get PSA test 5-6 weeks post-op with consultant meeting to get pathology and PSA around 6-8 weeks post-op

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 17:23

Hi Vivienne,

Saw the oncologist and urologist this afternoon. Op scheduled for middle of August and pre-op assessment at the end of this month.

I shall be keeping a very close eye on your dad's progress as I'm going to be "in the same boat" in about four weeks.

Take care and tell him that we are all thinking of him.

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 13 Jul 2016 at 18:59
Hi Dave

That's great that surgery is also an option for you, Unfortunately not everyone has this choice, Seen my dad today he looked loads better, colour in his cheeks and a bit more chatty than last night, He's not been out of bed yet, he had a bit of funny turn today so bed bound until tomorrow and all going well will be coming home tomorrow or Friday :-)

I hope surgery goes well for you and I will also be following your journey

Take care

Thanks Lyn

Thie time until dads post op PSA check will be a much needed rest bite for my dad

Thx

Viv x

Edited by member 13 Jul 2016 at 19:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 10:39

Well we thought today was a simple matter of coming to the hospital one week on from my dads radical prostatectomy for my dad to have catheter and clips removed
We are now sitting in emergency admissions waiting to see the Dr as the nurse said she had never see such swelling before, so my dads had bloods taken and is nil by mouth feeling very unsettled this morning :-(
Viv x

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 10:53

Oh no! Hope they sort him out very quickly. Keep strong Viv. You know we're here if you want to let off steam. Any idea what caused the swelling? Is is abdomen, his bladder?

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 12:45
Hi Viv,

Hope everything's ok for your dad.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Jul 2016 at 21:45
Oh my goodness Viv, how worrying. Please let us know what's happening with dad

Love

Devonmaid

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 07:11

I'm pleased to say my dad is now home, He won't be getting his catheter removed until next week now, they have put him on a course of antibiotics due to the swelling down below,
X

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 07:12
Viv,

Sorry that your Dad has this problem. Hope all is ok for him now.

John

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 07:23
V

Glad to hear is is back home, hopefully the anti biotics will kick in and everything will go back to the new normal.Did he get extra bags etc for the extended period of catheterisation etc.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 08:55

Thank you John and Chris

Yes we just remembered about the bags as we were leaving Chris !!
Was looking at my dad in hospital and thinking how he seems to have aged over night but we as a family are determined to get him built up and feeling better again
Thanks agein for your well wishes
Viv x

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 12:50

PC takes its toll, whether it's the treatment or the fear that you have it.

Your dad has been through a lot recently and it will be showing, physically and mentally.

Once the effects of the op and the antibiotics kick in he should feel so much better, more optimistic and able to deal with the aftermath.

You're doing a great job supporting him

User
Posted 20 Jul 2016 at 16:51

Sorry to read about your Dad's problem.

Hope the antibiotics quickly do their work and he can get the catheter removed soon.

KRO...