I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Happy Birthday!

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 07:24
Today is my birthday. I turn 54, an age I thought nothing much about just a few short years ago in my meanderings through life but which, due to cancer, has been brought into clear focus with the passing of each year.

I used to take birthdays for granted, want the minimum of celebration and treated each like just another ordinary day - but as we all know brothers and sisters, when you hop on the cancer merry go round, there is no such thing as another ordinary day.

Today marks not just my 54th year on planet earth but also my seventh since diagnosis, sixth since my RALP, fourth since SRT and second since HRT. Initially, I thought (and was told) I would get a good outcome but after a while, each treatment failed. So, during these six long years, I have traveled more than Alan Whicker, loved more that Lothario and drunk more than Oliver Reed - well not quite, but you get my gist.

To put it more accurately, I have tried to live each day as I want to, without the constraints or pressures and politics of the workplace and although not like each day were my last, were at least appreciated for the true gifts they are.

To me, every day has been my birthday, whether it be travelling on a short break to some new European city, laying down on the couch to watch cricket, through to going on a mundane shopping trip. I have enjoyed them all - and if the clock were turned back six years, I wouldn't want to have lived them any differently. Cancer may have pre-ordained my future but I have trod the path.

Tonight, I will be blessed by having four special gifts, my wife and my two beautiful daughters around the table. Despite the serious fatigue I am now suffering being on a double whammy of hormones (which do appear to be working by the way), I shall drink wine, crack a few rude jokes and be just as gobby as I always am. Today, albeit my birthday, will be no more special than any other.

The message I am trying to get across whatever stage of the conveyor belt of discovery you may be on is that life truly is a birthday gift to be enjoyed each day and you don't need to do anything special to enjoy it - just being part of life is gift enough.

So, happy birthday to you and you and you, whether yours is December, August, May or September. I will raise a glass to you all and wish your tomorrow to be as special as I try to make mine today! Cheers!!

Edited by member 20 May 2016 at 17:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 13:41

Happy birthday Bazza. Fully endorse your approach as you would expect from a fellow Taurean. Enjoy every day to the nth degree and you will find there will be more and more!

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 22:33
Happy Birthday BAzza,
Of course Trevor doesn't actually have a star sign being born intergalactic and from kryptonite parents (well that's the story anyway) . Celebrations , celebrations have a wonderful day , just loved your post all I can say is LIVE every day as if it is your Birthday.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 09:57

happy birthday bazza, sounds like it will be a gudun

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 10:08
Bazza,

Another fine post from you again. Happy birthday fellow Taurean ! Let's aim for many more for each of us challenging this disease.
I hope that you have a great evening.

John
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 10:21

Happy birthday bazza,

Your attitude to life, particularly taking into account your PCa and perhaps increased by it, serves as an example to us all.

Barry
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 11:00

Happy Birthday Bazza.

Like you our daughter has a May birthday and has the same positive view of life. Cancer may have got her - she hasn't got cancer.
She lives her life like you do. Grateful for every passing minute and every joy is magnified, no matter how small

Enjoy your special day with your special people round you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 13:41

Happy birthday Bazza. Fully endorse your approach as you would expect from a fellow Taurean. Enjoy every day to the nth degree and you will find there will be more and more!

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 15:06

Bazza
My role model as ever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Mine is very soon and I'm already following your life advice to the letter. Having more fun , taking things easy , booking holidays galore , and generally chilling despite an uncertain future. Well I'm trying anyway. Enjoy your family. Go easy on the rude jokes :-))

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 15:15
You write how I try to live Bazza, I hope today and all those in front of you are as good as all the great days behind you. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 15:23

Happy Birthday, have a good one.

:)

dave

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 16:41

Happy Birthday, Bazza.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 16:53
Happy birthday Bazza

I very much admire your attitude to life and you set a great example.

Enjoy your day with the best gifts you have, being your wife and family.

Happy "unbirthday" for the remaining 364 days until the next birthday, lol!

Sending you my best wishes.
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 17:19

Happy Birthday Bazza... have a great evening...

KRO...

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 17:45

Happy birthday my friend x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 19:13

Bazza, what an inspiration, take life by the horns and ride like fury.

Enjoy your special day and the ones In between the next one.

Cheers Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 22:16
Happy birthday Bro

xx
Mo
User
Posted 20 May 2016 at 22:33
Happy Birthday BAzza,
Of course Trevor doesn't actually have a star sign being born intergalactic and from kryptonite parents (well that's the story anyway) . Celebrations , celebrations have a wonderful day , just loved your post all I can say is LIVE every day as if it is your Birthday.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON