Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cycling and PCa

User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 09:36

hi

as my running seems to be going down the pan, as anyone started or doing cycling if so what saddle do you use

ie are they the ones designed for PCa.

does anyone use the electric bikes also if so would you recommend the one you use

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 10:08

I am not sure that the prostate friendly saddle is so important in your case - research indicates that professional cyclists are no more at risk of PCa than other men, they just acquire a higher 'normal' PSA count. Men that are recovering from surgery are advised to avoid cycling for a few months to give their nerve bundles a chance to recover (not applicable to you I guess) and men that have just done a big ride may have a slightly higher PSA reading which should be borne in mind before panicking.

Important to check what your onco thinks but it seems to me that as long as you don't do a big ride in the couple of days before your regular PSA tests, you will be fine?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 11:40

the problem I have is that two of my nodes are on my sit bones, so trying to find a saddle which is well padded, have a MTB and been out on this but find I cannot go more than 6miles without my bits aching

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 12:22

I have that problem too - and I don't even have a prostate :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 12:33

hi,have you tried padded cycling shorts? The reason I know this is the grandson keeps leaving them for his mother to wash.!!

User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 12:58

Easy solution and I hate cycling. Remember the old Chopper saddles? If you can get one to fit your frame, it could provide the padded comfort you need. Ah, those were the days!

User
Posted 23 May 2016 at 13:00
I have a mountain bike and I've got padded shorts and a gel saddle cover, you can get both from Halfords amongst other places. I find they're okay provided I'm not on a long ride.

Arthur