Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Weaning off Tamsulosin

User
Posted 26 May 2016 at 20:52

Hi Guys,

About a year ago, following HD Brachytherapy in February 2015 I was experiencing all the usual sorts of post RT urinary incontinence issues, frequent urges, dribbles to start and finish and an intermittent flow etc, coupled with stinging sensation associated with post RT cystitis.

In September 2015 my Consultant put me on 400 microgram Tamsulosin tablets, telling me '...you will need to take these tablets for the rest of your life'.  The day I started Tamsulosin I ended up in hospital after collapsing with low blood pressure, so Tamsulosin is obviously powerful stuff, and in the days that followed my blood pressure medication was adjusted to cope with the Tamsulosin effect.

Since then I have religiously taken my Tamsulosin tablet, first thing every morning and never missed a single day.

But now best part of a year later my incontinence issues are a mere memory. I sometimes get up once or twice at night, but equally can sometimes sleep through the whole night. During the day I can go 2 or 3 hours before needing the loo, and when I do the urgency is no longer there, in fact much to my wife's pleasure I can actually visit the loo without splashing the toilet seat or floor. I can even visit the pub, have a couple of pints and take a leisurely stroll home. In short I am back to where I was before the treatment.

I am therefore thinking about stopping the Tamsulosin, but I am a little worried about the effect that may have on my blood pressure, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully come down off Tamsulosin.

:)
Dave

User
Posted 26 May 2016 at 22:13

Hello Dave,

Like yourself I took Tamsulosin following HD Brachytherapy (August 2014 in my case).

Post treatment, I found it difficult to manage without the Tamsulosin, but have recently worked on cutting it down to alternate days, then twice a week.

I stopped taking Tamsulosin about 10 days ago. I have also stopped taking Bicalutamide this week. It is certainly different but I expect I will get used to it.

I don't know the answer to your blood pressure question, but that is one for your GP / Urologist I think. When I started taking TAmsulosin I read about the initial dizziness etc. Fortunately I had no problems, but did take it at night.

Pierre

User
Posted 26 May 2016 at 22:15
Hi Dave

John stopped taking all his waterworks meds for a while back along. He was on a variety, including tamsulosin, but hea taking it again now. It was a temporary thing while he was going through various difficulties. Nothing happened at all! I'd be inclined to discuss with your GP first though. Good luck.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 27 May 2016 at 06:43

John was given Tamsulosin following his low dose seed Brachytherapy and took it for a while.

He decided that he didn't need it but he took himself off very gradually and so far all is well in that department. His recent hospital appointment where he did a flow test showed an improvement on the previous time and the consultant said his bladder is now capable of holding more.

That said, he always carries a few tablets with him just in case he has a sudden deterioration.

I wouldn't just stop the tablets though. Perhaps ask the GP for advice or at the very least do it very slowly

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 May 2016 at 17:23

I have been taking Tamsulosin since my radiotherapy treatment in 2010 but gave my self a holiday from Tamsulosin from Jan to April of this year. Stopping the Tamsulosin did not affect my normal 2 to 3 hour gap between having a wee during the day. Also it did not change the number of times I had to get up during the night - usually 2 or 3 times if I had been to the pub or 0 or 1 time if I had kept off the beer .

The most notable differences were that it took me longer to start and the flow rate dropped. I have started taking it again and these symptoms have improved.

I do not suffer any side affects from Tamsulosin so have decided that I it is better for me to keep on with it. I was not aware of any adverse affect on my blood pressure during my Tamsulosin holiday.

Edited by member 27 May 2016 at 17:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 May 2016 at 12:24

I was on Tamsulosin together with two other BP lowering meds for over 10 years and following my HoLEP procedure last year the need for the Tamsulosin was removed and so I stopped taking it.

When I started taking the Tamsulosin my GP made no adjustments to my BP meds and when I stopped taking it he again made no adjustments to my BP meds.

BP remained stable before and after the 10 year period and the commencement and withdrawal of the Tamsulosin had no affect on that stability.

Edited by member 28 May 2016 at 12:25  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 29 May 2016 at 12:34

I have been on Tamsulosin for about 9 months now, from when I had my first appointment at urology. It was discussed during my RT in Jan/Feb about reducing it and eventually coming off it but although my flow rate and urgency is definitely improving I am not there yet and do have periods of poor flow particularly in the early morning when presumably the Tamsulosin effects begin to wear off - my GP agrees it is too early to stop it. I have been on Ramipril for blood pressure for some years and have not noticed any effects from the Tamsulosin, in fact my BP has been a bit higher during my treatment. The only side effects have been dry orgasms - but having been on Prostap for six months (now stopped) I have no real desire in that direction hi...

As a matter of interest, the last batch of Tamsulosin I got from my chemist were of the Pamsvax brand rather than Diffundox which I had been on before. I got the impression, hard to prove, that they seem less effective and the effect wears off quicker. I shall be interested to see what happens when I start my next packet which are Duffundox.

User
Posted 30 May 2016 at 10:02

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think the low blood pressure problem I experienced was mainly because I hadn't been checking blood pressure or reviewing medication, just took same tablets year after year, so Tamsulosin merely tipped me over the edge.

I guess I will give it a go and see how I get on without them?

:)

Dave