Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Adverse reaction to degarelix

User
Posted 29 May 2016 at 23:19

Hi everyone,

I have been having Degarelix injections for the past ten or eleven months and from a tumour control point of view, it is certainly working. But the injection itself makes me feel so ill for days after having it.

I had my last injection last Wednesday and it left me with the worst after effects I have had so far. I had the injection at about 4.30 in the afternoon. By 6.30 I was feeling very feverish. I went to bed at 10.30 after taking all the rest of my medication, but I couldn't sleep. I began to get dreadful pains in all the bones between my neck and knees. These were agonising and persisted until at least 4.30am, when they finally began to subside a little. It is now Sunday and I am only just beginning to feel as though I may be recovering.

Every injection has caused a similar reaction, but never as bad as this last one. I am just concerned that this may happen again or with increasing frequency in future.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or am I just being a wimp?

I would be grateful for any advice

Peter K

User
Posted 31 May 2016 at 10:22
P

Sorry I cannot answer your question but just bumping it up the list.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 May 2016 at 22:02
My husband has been on degaralix for nearly 5 years. He always has a red lump where he has the injection which is sore for a few days. He always seems to get flu like symptoms with a temperature a few hours after having the injection, by the next day he is usually just feeling a bit under the weather and feels fine within a couple of days. He does find sometimes the reaction is worse than other times. The thing he finds help is to take paracetamol before having the injection and keep taking them for a coup,e of days. He found it a very good treatment but unfortunately now he is coming to the end of his rocky road journey but the degaralix and after a year or so docetaxel, cabazitaxel, abiraterone and enzalutamide have given him 5 good years despite having a very aggressive cancer that had already spread to his lymph nodes and bowel on diagnosis.

Linda

User
Posted 31 May 2016 at 23:30

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post. I was sorry to see how badly your husband has suffered with this horrible disease. I am a novice in comparison, his and my backgrounds do sound so similar. I also had a Gleason of 9, a PSA of 168 and secondaries in lymph nodes, spine and lungs at diagnosis.

I generally get the flu like symptoms about 8 hours after the injection and normally, the ill effects last for the next day. By the third day I am usually back to normal. I do get the redness too, which lasts about 3 days. But this last time (and it has happened similarly once before) It was much much worse than normal. I spent the entire night in dreadful pain and I couldn't wait for morning to come.

It is the pain that concerns me. As my oncologist constantly reminds me, I have got an aggressive cancer, so I have to expect some discomfort. But that pain was unbearable and paracetamol did nothing to ease it.

Once again, thank you for the information and I will certainly take on board your advice about taking paracetamol before the injection. I wish you and your husband lots of luck for the future.

Peter