Show search

Notification

Error

Using statins with ADT?

User
Posted 08 Jun 2016 at 23:46

from Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 32, No. 1, January 1, 2014

Statins reduce mortality

Conclusion Overall, the use of statins after diagnosis was associated with a decreased risk in prostate cancer mortality. However, this effect was stronger in patients who also used statins before diagnosis.

This study reads that prostate cancer patients benefit if they take they drug while undergoing Androgen Deprivation Therapy.

I will talk to my doctor about this.  Are other people following these recommendations.  It is my understanding that ADT could lead to diabetes and with the addition of statins the chances of diabetes are probably 100%.  What is your opinion?

Thanks

User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 06:28
Zet,

I started taking statins a year ago. There is strong history regarding heart disease in my family ( both my parents died from it ) and like my brother and sister, I have high cholesterol levels.
This view in taking statins to assist with PCa survival was reported last year and my antipathy to statins then waned. I'd tried very hard to lower my cholesterol levels by diet but to no avail. In fact my doctor was as concerned about my risk from heart disease as she is with my PCa. I asked about the impact of taking statins whilst on Zoladex ( aware of diabetes risk from the reports ) but was told that the benefits of statins outweigh the risks. I also checked this with my Onco who was of the same opinion.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

John
User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 06:50

Hi Zet

Seen this study and others before. Maybe I missed it but.... did it take into account the PC patients Cholesterol+Testosterone levels BEFORE the study?

Correct if i'm wrong but the reason why they were taking statins to begin with was because they had high Cholesterol levels  ie; Cholesterol=Testosterone? That is one of the reasons why we should stay away from egg yolks and high cholesterol foods perhaps?

VEGANS have Lower Cholesterol levels than BOTH vegetarians and meat eaters....and guess what: "Scientists at Loma Linda University in California, USA looked at the eating patterns of over 26,000 men.   The results showed that men who were identified as following a vegan diet had a 35% reduced risk of prostate cancer."

This of course could have a MULTITUDE of reasons.... 

Diabetes (and ADT) is not something that worries me too much....since I think Diabetes can be managed (I think) by the individual to a large extent.

What worries me about LONG term ADT is this:

"Men taking androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) for prostate cancer were almost twice as likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in the years that followed than those who didn’t undergo the therapy, an analysis of medical records from two large hospital systems by Penn Medicine and Stanford University researchers has shown. Men with the longest durations of ADT were even more likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease." 

Bill

Edited by member 09 Jun 2016 at 07:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 10:29
Hi Zet

For men on ADT there is a problem with the levels of cholesterol, as when the cancer is starved of testosterone it converts cholesterol to dihydrotestosterone which is more potent, which then feeds the cancer, so keeping the levels of cholesterol down is wise. I remember asking the question some time ago how many men on this site had a high level at diagnosis and it appeared that there were quite a few, but although this is not to say that proves the link, it seems a coincidence.

Roy
User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 12:12

Hi Andrew

"Cholesterol=Testosterone" - No! ;-)

Yes! ;-( I'm afraid so......

"Cholesterol also can contribute to the development of anti-hormone resistance because cholesterol is converted into hormones in tumor cells; therefore, these cholesterol-forming pathways are attractive therapeutic targets for the treatment of prostate cancer."

There is quite a bit out there but this is a good one....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160414170034.htm

This here is a good start (Cholesterol=Testosterone) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leydig_cell

As far as Alzheimers here is a good start (very recent study)....The  reason why it worries me is that WE KNOW that ADT may affect our bones and muscles...but we can change our diets or have additional treatment for these.  

Alzheimers however is a death sentence...What do we do? How can we prevent it? What is the cure?

Heck....I have Alzheimers family history! 

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2015/12/nead/

Late Editing:

ONCE again I find myself looking at Japan for dietary guidance (Japan should be the benchmark for Prostate/Breast Cancer Survival Strategies in my view).

Unfortunately Japan is adopting some very nasty Western dietary habits...consequently Prostate/Breast cancer rates are rising....but NOWHERE near the current Western levels.

Nevertheless......as far as Alzheimer/Dementia Death rates (per 100k pop):

USA...........45.58

UK.............24.35

Germany....13.39

Japan.........4.23

Interesting to note....Just like prostate cancer...

"Alzheimer’s rates of Japanese-Americans living in the U.S. are closer to that of Americans than to Japanese. When people move from their homeland to the United States, Alzheimer’s rates can increase dramatically..."

Edited by member 09 Jun 2016 at 13:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jun 2016 at 04:56

Impressive answers. Another decision I never wanted to make, statins for me.  Thanks everyone for your help, Zet

Edited by member 10 Jun 2016 at 05:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jun 2016 at 22:50
Got no Japanese stats to give you guys but I can only speak from personal experience Trevor has been on statins for around 10 years due to his heart problems.
Did they protect or stop him from getting PCa =No
Have statins helped on his PCa journey who knows but something has , of course it could just be the Turmeric😎
One thing that I would add is watch out for the generic statins Trevor gets a lot of side affects from these. He always makes sure he is prescribed the real M'coy.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON