Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA results after robotic surgery

User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 13:39

Hi

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and had the gland removed by a robot! My PSA has been undetectable for the last 4 years. This time it showed 0.04. My urologist told me not to worry but over the years I've become paranoid with PSA results! I thought that after 5 years I could just forget about PSA but I've got a feeling that wont happen. it doesn't make it easier that my father died of this disease, albeit 20 years ago. Any suggestions, views or comparisons?

Thanks

GARRARD

User
Posted 09 Jun 2016 at 14:10
G

Also 64 and also lost my father to PCa about twenty years ago. I am sure I am right in saying anything below 0.1 is classed as undetectable. Like many others on here we have the sensitive PSA test and start to worry when Rises of 0.01 are detected. Post robotic surgery I was 0.03 rising to 0.07 2 years after surgery. A rise to 0.1 would trigger me being referred back to my consultant,I think there are guys on here if you do not get referred until they get a level of 0.2.
I keep being told not to worry it's still low, but Human Nature being what it is we still worry at such a low level.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 12 Jun 2016 at 19:25

The rise doesn't mean anything really, unless you have three successive rises and even then, at these tiny numbers it could be down to other things such as:
- machine tolerance - my dad had the same blood sample tested twice and had a difference of 0.04 between the two results. Science says the lab machines used for PSA testing can vary as much as 0.05 for the same sample on the same machine
- the testing equipment could have been calibrated between your two tests
- the hospital could have purchased new machines. Our hospital is busy with a rolling programme to replace all the machines that PSA is tested on so we have been warned that PSA may fluctuate for a while
- you may have been more anxious this time. A tiny amount of PSA is produced via the adrenal gland so, adrenaline goes up and the PSA may go up with it
- your body may just be settling in to its 'normal' range

To set your result in context, a woman that has just had an orgasm could have a PSA of 0.02 and breast milk is higher than that!

My OH's last few PSA tests were 0.02, 0.04, 0.08, 0.09 and the most recent has dropped back to 0.07. Some of that could be the new machines, it could be stress (his company has been making people redundant but unfortunately he isn't on the list!) or it could be a problem but we are happy to wait and see.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 10:09
Just to confirm what Chris and Lyn have said - my PSA rose following RALP but it was a reading of 0.2 that triggered salvage RT. Easy for me to say but I would try not to worry about your current PSA. I have 9 more sessions of RT and so far no side effects so I am one lucky guy.
All the best,
Kevan
User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 13:30
You cannot rely just on a single test - my PSA recently moved from <0.02 to <0.1 and it turned out the hospital had just used a different machine. Have another test and only if it shows a clear increase do you need to consider more treatment.
User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 11:16

Thanks for everyone's replies. They are reassuring. Royal Marsden only detects from 0.04. Anything below this is undetectable. I suppose I was looking for a further undetectable which would have given me five years and a referral back to my GP. I don't think it works like that and must get used to this testing for the rest of my life. On the positive side, the accuracy and effectiveness of all treatments have improved greatly, I'm sure, since my father was diagnosed 25 years ago. For him his diagnosis was too late, though he had a further four years of life. In those days, unless there were obvious symptons, people didn't dream of getting tested. I've told my sons to get PSA tested once they reach 40 as, clearly, we have a family history. Thanks once again for your comments and good luck with your futures.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 11:34

Hi,

If the lab only detects PSA down to 0.04 it may be something as simple as someone omitting to put the  '<' less than symbol in the result?

As others have stated, there are numerous reasons for variation, so try not to worry unduly about it.... 

Easy to say I know .....I still get jittery when my PSA tests are due... I doubt I'll ever get used to it.

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 15 Sep 2016 at 19:11

Hi

Just come back from the Royal Marsden, London and psa gone up to 0.06 and like you have said before only if it goes up again will they consider radiotherapy. That will be the third time it has risen (if it has). Oncologist doesn't want to give me radiotherapy unless it is necessary so want s to wait and see. Anybody in similar or same position? Frustrated not getting the all clear after 5 years but there we are. On the other hand I suppose the monitoring is good!

Thanks for any remarks

GARRARD