I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wife of newly diagnosed husband

User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 00:48
We were given the diagnosis that my hundreds has prostrate cancer on Friday 10th June, he was given a Gleason score of 9. This is following an MRI scan and Biopsy. He is to have a bone scan on Friday 17th. The first sign was he suddenly needed to wee 3 or 4 times per night at Easter. Can Someone explain a Gleason Score of 9.
User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 12:30
Hi I'm new on this site so hope I'm not stepping on any ones toes but like you , my husband only knew because he was in the loo for ages and on checking it found his psa was high and after biopsy his Gleason was high an 8 I had to learn quickly like you while in shock what this meant a nine will be made up of two numbers 5-4 or 4-5 Its a common gradingsystem doctor's use is called the Gleason so a nine is made up of more aggressive cancer hence the bone scan to see if it has spread

It's a total score out of 10,

Then he will be given a T number with letters but maybe that's for another conversation what I found out that it's hard to find the human side of this unless you visit sites like this. the medical side is well organised and treatment is very successful , and the first few months you just go through the motions following what every your told because it will save his life but emotionally your on a roll a coaster . Stay calm, it will be quick decision making from consultants and be prepared to give over the next few months to hospital I dropped all other priorities less stress and give your selves some treats , we had pj and film days teas out , funny comedy nights so we laughed and plan something nice for the future keep looking forward use the clinical nursing staff for support and ask questions they are happy to tell you more than once they know crisis has a funny effect on our brain. Good luck and chin up and ask away in this site I'm sure you'll get the support you need .

User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 13:36

Hello Chris Dugdale and welcome to the site. Firstly, could I just ask if that is your actual name as this is an open site and could be seen by anyone (perhaps friends or family who you haven't told yet) if they put your name in a computer search.
I'm pretty sure I'm right about that but I expect somebody will clarify if I'm not.

Anyway, first of all a really big breath. Yes Gleason of 9 is high but as has already been said, it depends on a number of other things.
It may be that not all treatment options will be available to you but there are many that will be.

If you go to Publications on this site you can download (or order a copy of) the site's Toolkit, a number of pamphlets which explain PC, treatments, emotional effects etc. Well worth reading.

It is a good basis for forming your questions when you next see a consultant. Write them down (you are bound to forget them otherwise - we've all been there!) and take a pen to write down the replies. If you are still not able to understand what is being said then ask them to repeat it, as many times as necessary. No good walking away with doubts still unanswered.

Don't be rushed into making any decisions, unless you are advised that something needs to be done quickly.

Any questions please ask, no matter how silly it may sound or how personal. We listen and we care.

We have all been down the road of the shock and horror of the big word CANCER. Try to stay as calm as you can.

If you click on the name underneath a person's picture it will bring up that person's profile.

In the meantime, best wishes. You've come to the right place for information, because whatever it is you want to know, somebody will have experienced it.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails