I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

dads cancer

User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 14:44

hi my dad has been diagnosed officially with stage 3a prostrate cancer with a gleason 3plus 4 with a psa of 45 he has been on HT for a month now and has four more monthly injections until he has to decide if he want RT he has many ongoing health issues including parkinson and heart they have asked to make a decision about RT gave us all the side effects long and short term and said just on HT he will have an average of 2 years and with RT it will be an average of 5 years please can advise me how bad the side effect of RT and any long term factors as he wont be able to stand to many long term issue produced by RT as reasonably poorly now i felt the doc was trying to put him off RT she was quite negative about it but maybe i am wrong its so confusing for dad to make such an important decision there is always what if... 

User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 15:23
Hi,

Most, but not all, go through RT as I did with no major issues. The most common short term side effects are bladder frequency followed my bowel issues which can usually be controlled if RT staff are advised. Fatigue can come in the latter part of the sessions and normally last for a few weeks after RT ends.

Other than long term ED I've had no RT problems which is 10 years ago. Routine bowel screenings have all been OK.

I understand your GP'S concern as the whole patient care is the GP's aim. Have you inquired if RT can be stopped if it becomes too difficult to manage without causing health issues?

Scans cannot pick up microscopic cells. Have you asked what the risk level of there being such cells present is? My reservation on RT would be your dad going through it only to find out later on there was spread.
Ray

Edited by member 15 Jun 2016 at 16:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 12:43

I'd echo Ray's comments, having had this treatment nine years ago with worse opening numbers. Far from your oncologist or urologist trying to put you off RT, I'd infer that offering five years against two was an encouragement to take it. In fact those "averages" are based on historic data and are often bettered these days. We all cope better with treatment if we are as fit as we can be. I think you'll find that your Dad's other conditions are unlikely to impact on his choice, whichever way he goes.

The standard of RT is variable about the country. Not all hospitals use the same approach. I would ask about how theirs compares with the best available in your area.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 21 Jun 2016 at 09:09

hi thanks for your replies there was no mention of the chance of cancer still being able to spread at all so thats another thing to consider as i know dad would be upset if he takes on RT and its side effects and then to be told its has spread so hasnt been any use. Will ask about that