Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nuts to reduce PCa deaths

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 13:52

Hi Folks,

From time to time we read about various foods and other things that may reduce the risk of getting PCa in the first place but here is possibly a way we guys who already have PCa may be able to extend our lives.  I will certainly be increasing my daily intake of nuts. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3643874/Eating-nuts-slashes-prostate-cancer-death-risk-serving-five-times-week-boosts-patients-chances-survival.html

Edited by member 16 Jun 2016 at 23:58  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 13:52

Hi Folks,

From time to time we read about various foods and other things that may reduce the risk of getting PCa in the first place but here is possibly a way we guys who already have PCa may be able to extend our lives.  I will certainly be increasing my daily intake of nuts. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3643874/Eating-nuts-slashes-prostate-cancer-death-risk-serving-five-times-week-boosts-patients-chances-survival.html

Edited by member 16 Jun 2016 at 23:58  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 20:03

I know i shall possibly get criticised but i read this in the paper, in the pub while waiting for the England v Wales game...suffice to say i ordered a bag of peanuts with my 2nd pint ;-)

Bri

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 07:10

Had you been to the pub for the football Kev :)

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 16:20

Hi Barry

Thanks for the link (I started from www which then worked on my mobile). Not only does it read good to help fight PCa but for those who can eat nuts a nice diet addition.

Ray

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 18:32

Technically I shall live forever. I think I was a squirrel in a previous life.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 19:44

I love nuts and eat them every morning in my muesli (with coconut milk).
Often have jar with mixed nuts around but I just nibble them away in no time.
Don't do me any harm and maybe they are helping.

Paul

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 20:03

I know i shall possibly get criticised but i read this in the paper, in the pub while waiting for the England v Wales game...suffice to say i ordered a bag of peanuts with my 2nd pint ;-)

Bri

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 21:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Bri

I ordered an extra pint but forgot the nuts....http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 22:17
I have always had. Nuts n slat nn vinegar crisps but peanuts as of yet untroed

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 22:18
I have always had. Nuts n slat nn vinegar crisps but peanuts as of yet untroed

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 07:10

Had you been to the pub for the football Kev :)

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 08:27

Right back when J was diagnosed, I found research that nuts reduced the aggressiveness of PCa, especially walnuts. There are old threads about it on here. However, there was also some persuasive research that this did not include peanuts - which increased the aggressiveness instead. So for the last 6 years he has been eating nuts with breakfast and as snacks but has craved the peanuts he isn't allowed (he probably buys them in the pub when I am not there)

The problem is, did the American research quoted above take into account other factors? Could the men that are more nuts also have been more health conscious and therefore more rigorous about getting PSA tests and seeking medical advice? That would also reduce the risk of dying.

Edited by member 17 Jun 2016 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 13:16
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Right back when J was diagnosed, I found research that nuts reduced the aggressiveness of PCa, especially walnuts. There are old threads about it on here. However, there was also some persuasive research that this did not include peanuts - which increased the aggressiveness instead. So for the last 6 years he has been eating nuts with breakfast and as snacks but has craved the peanuts he isn't allowed (he probably buys them in the pub when I am not there)

The problem is, did the American research quoted above take into account other factors? Could the men that are more nuts also have been more health conscious and therefore more rigorous about getting PSA tests and seeking medical advice? That would also reduce the risk of dying.

Not sure Lyn as the research is focussed on men who already have PCa...

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 15:35

That's not how I read it Bri. 47,000 men tracked over 26 years and 6,800 of these developed cancer. Whether or not the 47,000 had eaten nuts seemed to make no difference to whether they ended up in the 6,800 diagnosed but those that ate nuts were less likely to be diagnosed late or to die of PCa. That's how I understand it, anyway

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 18:01

Thats my point Lyn you made ref to men being health conscious and more rigerous at getting PSA tests. So i thought you were referring to reasons for why the research may be 'flawed'.
This reserach identified the nut consumption didnt prevent developing cancer but as you say the mortality rate was lower (34%) for men with PCa who ate 5 portions. I couldnt see any reference to being less likely to be dx late if you ate the nuts.

Bri

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 21:41

A significant proportion of the men that died will have been diagnosed late, Bri - being diagnosed late meaning 'diagnosed after it had gone past early stage diagnosis'. Men in the 6,800 that had been eating nuts and didn't die, may all have been diagnosed at T1 and then had successful treatment.

Not that the research might be flawed but that the media reporting doesn't tell us whether the researchers allowed for that potential bias in the data.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 23:27

Just be careful if that nut allowance includes brazil nuts. They can be rich in selenium which has  its benefits in the right quantities, and (apparently) its disadvantages when taken in excess.

Pierre

User
Posted 18 Jun 2016 at 16:36
Hi

So the boxes of milk chocolate brazils I get every Xmas and birthday etc are not doing me any good ?

No wonder my PSA is rising.

Thanks Chris