I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA at 12 weeks Post Op

User
Posted 16 Jun 2016 at 22:23
My PSA is less than 0.01... officially undetectable.

Big glass of wine in hand.
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 11:36

Colwick Chris...

No - My next Blood Test for PSA is Mid March 2017.

KRO...

Chris J... Yes it is a great feeling getting that score after hopefully "getting rid" of the cancer.

I feel very very lucky with my lot - having a localised cancer that could "easily" be operated on. 

Conversely I feel so sorry for all you guys out there with more complicated stuff and that are on long term HT and RT etc. with all the side effects they bring. 

I have been reading lots of posts over the last 12 weeks and, of course, I don't have the knowledge of the HT/RT side of things to be able to comment or offer advice - so I usually end up closing the thread without replying or commenting. That does not mean that I don't feel for you guys (and gals) that are on here for comfort and support - but I am really lost for words sometimes when I read what many of you have gone or are going through.

All I can say is hang on in there and Keep Right On!

KRO...

Edited by member 17 Jun 2016 at 11:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 00:35
Really great news. Time to celebrate. Enjoy your weekend.

Steve.
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 06:41
Wonderful news!

Arthur
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 08:53

Well done KRO

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 09:06
K

A very good score and I hope it continues for you. I notice in your profile your next consultation in next year, I assume your next blood test is sooner ?.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 10:25

Well done mate. Must feel lovely having to go thru that , and it be a success. Long may it continue.
Chris

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 22:58

congrats KRO, must be well chuffed. Enjoy the wine.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 00:35
Really great news. Time to celebrate. Enjoy your weekend.

Steve.
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 06:41
Wonderful news!

Arthur
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 08:53

Well done KRO

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 09:06
K

A very good score and I hope it continues for you. I notice in your profile your next consultation in next year, I assume your next blood test is sooner ?.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 10:25

Well done mate. Must feel lovely having to go thru that , and it be a success. Long may it continue.
Chris

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 11:36

Colwick Chris...

No - My next Blood Test for PSA is Mid March 2017.

KRO...

Chris J... Yes it is a great feeling getting that score after hopefully "getting rid" of the cancer.

I feel very very lucky with my lot - having a localised cancer that could "easily" be operated on. 

Conversely I feel so sorry for all you guys out there with more complicated stuff and that are on long term HT and RT etc. with all the side effects they bring. 

I have been reading lots of posts over the last 12 weeks and, of course, I don't have the knowledge of the HT/RT side of things to be able to comment or offer advice - so I usually end up closing the thread without replying or commenting. That does not mean that I don't feel for you guys (and gals) that are on here for comfort and support - but I am really lost for words sometimes when I read what many of you have gone or are going through.

All I can say is hang on in there and Keep Right On!

KRO...

Edited by member 17 Jun 2016 at 11:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 14:47

K

A bit surprised at you not having more PSA tests based on my own and other members experience, extract  from NICE "1.3.43 Check PSA levels for all men with prostate cancer who are having radical treatment at the earliest 6 weeks following treatment, at least every 6 months for the first 2 years and then at least once a year thereafter", I was scheduled for tests at 1.5, 3,6,9,12,18 and 24 Months, might be worth just checking or perhaps your GP should be doing them.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 15:42

KRO, it can't be right that you don't get another test until next year, even if the surgeon doesn't want to see you in between times. As CC sdays, the normal would be at 6 weeks post op, then 3 monthly for the first year, 6 monthly for the next 4 years and then annual testing for the rest of your life. Presumably your surgeon assumes you will get PSA tests at the GP practice until next March and make an earlier appointment if your PSA rises :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 Jun 2016 at 15:48

Nope..

The NICE provision is no earlier than 6 weeks post op... My Consultant does them at 3 months post op and was very clear in that he does not consider that a PSA test is needed until he sees me next March and he even gave me the test request form for that test.

Of course, I could request one from my GP if I want to and I know that my GP would oblige.

Edited by member 17 Jun 2016 at 15:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jun 2016 at 22:58

congrats KRO, must be well chuffed. Enjoy the wine.