I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's cancer has returned

User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 20:07
Evening all, I haven't posted on here in some time but have been reading the recent threads. As the title says my dads cancer appears to have returned :(
He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 9 years ago and it had already spread outside the prostate. It was therefore treated with hormone therapy and then radiotherapy. Sine then he has been very well overall and his pas has always remained low. However he had his pas tested about 2 months ago and unfortunately it has risen to 14. The doctor made an urgent appt with the oncologist who sent him for a ct and bone scan, both of which thankfully came back clear. He saw the consultant today who has told him he needs to go back on hormone therapy and they will test him again in 6 months. After the joy of knowing it hadn't spread my dad is now very anxious about his future. I just wondered if any other men on here had had a similar experience with their cancer returning and how things are. We are all trying to look in the bright side but I'm worried. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much xx
User
Posted 23 Jun 2016 at 21:47

Hi lulu,
Yes it is hugely disappointing when you think the cancer has gone into remission and then it rears its ugly head. My dad was clear for 13 years and then it came back. His PSA is climbing slowly in comparison to your dad's though and he has decided not to have any more treatment for the time being.

In your case, that probably isn't an option as the PSA is high - what was it at his last test, and the one before? Working out the doubling time is a useful indicator of how big a problem it might be. Probably your dad won't be able to have RT on the pelvic region again so this time, treatment may be limited to hormones or he might be offered something that wasn't available 9 years ago such as chemo. All those years ago, chemo was thought not to help much and was held back for end of life stage to make men more comfortable. Recent research has shown though that chemo can make the hormone treatments much more effective - worth considering if he is offered it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Jun 2016 at 19:31

Lulu, you should and your Dad should take confidence from him not needing to be seen again for six months. He may need continual or intermittent ADT, but this can go on for years. If/when that fails there are lots of other treatments available. I have been there and got the t shirt! Your Dad should try to forget his anxiety and concentrate on living his life to the full for many years yet. It works for me. Positive thinking is the key.

Good Luck.

AC in Northants

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 17:23

Thank you so much for replying. My Dad is very upbeat, fit and healthy overall and usually very positive but this seems to have knocked him a bit. I guess for all those years he almost forgot he had cancer and so its a bit of a shock. Such wise words AC, concentrate on the here and now is so important. Can I ask what ADT is please? sorry its probably really obvious! lulu x

User
Posted 25 Jun 2016 at 18:19

ADT is just another way of saying 'hormone treatment' Lulu ... androgen deprivation therapy

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard