Notification

Error

frequency of cystoscopy?

User
Posted 28 Jun 2016 at 08:57

Bladder Cancer After Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821989/

Rev Urol. 2013; 15(3): 108–112.

"External beam radiotherapy (EBRT) is frequently used in the management of prostate cancer (PCa) as definitive, postoperative, or salvage local treatment. Although EBRT plays a central role in the management of PCa, complications remain a troubling by-product. Several studies have demonstrated an association between radiotherapy and elevated risk of acute and late toxicities. A secondary malignancy induced by initial therapy represents one of the most serious complications related to definitive cancer treatment. The radiation-related secondary primary malignancy risk increases with increasing survival time. Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder is the most frequent secondary primary malignancy occurring after radiotherapy and is described as more aggressive; it may be diagnosed later because some radiation oncologists believe that the hematuria that occurs after prostate EBRT is normal. Some patients treated for localized PCa will subsequently develop invasive bladder cancer requiring surgical intervention. Patients with PCa treated with EBRT should be monitored closely for the presence of bladder cancer."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ / "Due to the increased risk for developing bladder cancer after pelvis irradiation, it is advisable to supervise patients who undergo RT for the treatment of PCa. We propose a close follow-up with cystoscopy each year or every 6 months on the basis of existing comorbidities, as well as additional work-up and increased screening sampling density."

======================================================================================

Please let me know if anyone who had EBRT has had a cystoscopy as this article recommends? How soon after your EBRT did you oncologist or urologist perform a cystoscopy?  Thanks

User
Posted 29 Jun 2016 at 00:19

The numbers are tiny - 58 men diagnosed in 11 years (mid 1990s to mid 2000s) at the Sloane-Kettering and most of these will have had the scattergun style of RT before IMRT became standard. The main reason for investing in new machinery that can deliver IMRT is to reduce the collateral damage to neighbouring organs such as the bladder and bowel - presumably, if they do the same data collection for the period 2016 - 2027, the number of men developing bladder cancer after RT will be far lower than 58.

John has never been offered a cystoscopy, but nor did he experience any bladder problems during his treatment and he has had no problems since so I can't imagine he would be keen on the idea.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jun 2016 at 07:12

No point me worrying about this as they cant get a camera into my bladder since my RP :(

Bri

User
Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 05:50

Thanks for all the feedback - I was not looking for unecessary exams.